General Character Creation

TMK2300

:confused: Ok I have written in here before and I recieved some great help but I'm still lost.

I need some help in Basic (extremely Basic) Character creation.

Please , please, please, please, Help!!!

I need to understand the system.

Point of clarification I have both played and GM'd games but I do not (as of yet) understand the Concept of Hero Games.

If you could break the process down using simple terms ( yes I may sound stupid but I have had others try to teach me and failed) Please explain it as if to a ten year old (I am 29 years old but I feel stupid)

I am not afraid to admit I have NO clue how to do this.

Yeah I know I should give up and move along but I'm also stubborn.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have read the book but it seems a little confusing to me.

I am not used to the setup.

Help.:confused: :confused:

Could you give us some idea of what you are confused about? Have you downloaded the free pdf Genre-By-Genre document? Looking at those example characters might give you some basis to go on. If you give us an idea of what you do not understand and what you do understand we will have something to start from.

Originally posted by TMK2300

Well I need help in designing the skill packages (everyman skills)

Everyman skills by genre are covered in the sidebar on page 31.

Tips and hints on superpowers.

Not sure what you mean here?

Clarification on how the powers could be used.

You should read the powers section starting on page 67 for the basics.

Basic tips on the math needed to do calculations.

You need to know how to add, subtract, mulitple, and divide with fractions. A calculator comes in hand.

I get the feeling that you have not read any of the book so far. The first thing I would recommend you do is look at the sample characters in the Genre-By-Genre document. That will give you some basis of understanding.

Re: General Character Creation

:confused: Ok I have written in here before and I recieved some great help but I'm still lost.

I need some help in Basic (extremely Basic) Character creation.

Please , please, please, please, Help!!!

I need to understand the system.

Point of clarification I have both played and GM'd games but I do not (as of yet) understand the Concept of Hero Games.

If you could break the process down using simple terms ( yes I may sound stupid but I have had others try to teach me and failed) Please explain it as if to a ten year old (I am 29 years old but I feel stupid)

I am not afraid to admit I have NO clue how to do this.

Yeah I know I should give up and move along but I'm also stubborn.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have read the book but it seems a little confusing to me.

I am not used to the setup.

Help.:confused: :confused:

TMK2300,

Well... I'd like to help, but I've no clue where to begin. Perhaps you could start with some specific questions that folks can answer? For example: what are you confused by? (Answering "everything" wont' get us far ;) )

So... When you say "basic, basic character creation" what exactly do you mean? Are you asking where do you start? Do you understand the various characteristics and how to figure their costs? Do you understand skills? Disadvantages? Powers? Limitations? Advantages? And how to figure all their costs? etc.

And not I'm not trying to be insulting, but are you comfortable with all the math? One thing the Hero System will do is hone your math skills! :)

Take care,

Harry

The basics of powers is that you pick a power from the list provided and then assign an special effect to it. So if you want to shoot ranged attacks you pick Energy Blast, and then decide what special effect the character is using.

Batarang: 10d6 Energy Blast

Heat Vision: 10d6 Energy Blast

Green Lantern Beam: 10d6 Energy Blast

Blunt Arrow: 10d6 Energy Blast

The attack is Energy Blast, the special effects depends on what type of attack it is. Batman throws his Batarang, Superman uses his Heat Vision, Green Lantern uses his ring, Green Arrow shoots an arrow. All those attacks are just Energy Blast with different special effects.

First of all, DON'T PANIC.

TMK, I realize that the HERO System can be intimidating to a newcomer, but really, most of the apparent complexity comes from the many variations available - the basic concepts and mechanics are fairly simple. Rather than take up space on the message boards by going through it all, though, I'm going to suggest the places you can go where the fine folks at Hero Games have already done much of the work for you.

First of all, assuming that you have the HERO System Fifth Edition Rulebook, reread pages 2 to 5, "Introduction to the HERO System." That will lay out many of the basic mechanics. Next, at the top of this page you'll find a link marked "FAQs". That will take you to a page with links under the general heading, "About the HERO System"; click on that one, "General Questions", and "Reasoning from Effects" for a basic tutorial on how to translate character concepts that you might want to use into HERO System terms.

Then, as suggested by an earlier poster, you can go back to the top of this or any other page on the site, click on "Free Stuff", then "HERO System Documents", then download "The HERO System Genre by Genre", a free PDF file which outlines the main conventions of many different game genres (sci-fi, superheroes, fantasy, pulp, horror, etc.) and how to translate them into HERO terms. For each genre, there are suggestions for character abilities, sample gadgets, powers, spells, etc., plus sample characters tailored to each genre to use as examples for your own characters.

Once you have that under your belt, Chapter One of the Fifth Edition rulebook, "Character Creation", should be easier to follow. Any further specific questions you have after that, you should feel free to come on back and ask. :)

A couple of other points:

Unlike other more randam character creation systems you need a concpt when making your character, as the game has none of the short cuts you see in other systems (Classes and such)

Also I will recomend the Hero Designer program, it can help with the number crunching

Out of curiosity what systems have you used, as such we might be able to work from the differences of the system you are familiar with

I'd like to suggest looking at the sample powers in the sidebars, maybe taking them and working out the Active and Real costs from the Advantages and Limitations provided. Also look at some sample characters (pick up one of the books or search the web for "Hero System characters").

I felt like that when I started a month ago :)

Well, it is not very difficult to create acharacter until you come to the powers.

For the basic character, you just have to spent points on the caracteristics (1 point for 1 strngth point, 3 for one dex points...), calculate your caracteristic roll (9+ (caracteristic/5)), and then buy your skills (depends on the skill, generaly 3 points to "open" the skill at your caracteristic roll, and then 2 points for a +1)

The exception is the combat skill, but a thread cover this up (and is mure clear than the book ;) )

Then, you may pick up advantages and flaws, and, if your game is about it, some powers.

Hero is a "free ride" system, and you do really need to know where you're going before designing a character.

Personnaly, I find that the GM toolkit is really useful for creating the characters : all the information you need are in the book sold with it.

Welcome to this world I've just begun to discover...

First I do want to apologize for my earlier messages.

I am having a problem with the skills- How do you decide how many skills the characters should have?? What skill choices for a super hero game? a fantasy game?

The skill point to skill level is a little confusing.

I understand that skills generally are the (stat/5) + 9 for base plus pts for each +1, but how do you get the individual KS,SS,PS ?

I have read the book and have tried to make some characters but without a basic template I am afraid I am not making them right.

The power making section is confusing because of the Advantages and disadvantages.

I believe the book says to factor in the disads first (divide), then the ads (multiply).

What is a good point base (including all ads and disads) for starting GMs making the powers???

I understand it is my choice but getting a good grip on the mechanics is the point for me.

Are there any hints or quick reference for character creation?

Say by using the chart you make a heroic character on 250 pts. (125 pts normal up to 125 pts with disads)

and only 50 pts for powers, 50 pts for attributes, 25 pts for skills. is this a good combo?

Ok I still have a lot to learn, I still need to read the book more.

Why is the movement adders in a different section of the book?

I am not trying to be difficult or insulting, I feel stupid for asking this.

That is why I am asking those who are more experienced for help.

You will not insult me by answering my questions, or by answering them with demeaning answers, You would insult me by NOT answering my questions.

I am trying to learn, and I understand that my questions are vague but at the moment I still do not understand what I am doing wrong.

I would love to be able to talk face to face with someone while going over character creation.

I do not expect it though.

I do appreciate all of the replies.

The other gaming systems that I have played in are Heroes Unlimited, cyberpunk, Star wars, and D&D 3D.

Thank you for your help and hopefully your understanding.

How do you decide how many skills the characters should have?? What skill choices for a super hero game? a fantasy game?

There is no way to decide how many skills a character should have. A character like Batman might have 20 skills. A character like the Flash might have 3 or 4. Skills are determined by the character concept.

As far as skill choices, that is just common sense. In a fantasy game someone is not going to have Computer Programming because there are no computers. So you would not use that skill in a fantasy game. If a skill does not seem to work for a genre you just do not use it.

I understand that skills generally are the (stat/5) + 9 for base plus pts for each +1, but how do you get the individual KS,SS,PS ?

KS, SS, PS skills have two ways of being bought. The first way is for 2 points you get an 11- roll, and then +1 to the roll for each additional point. The second way is to "tie" the KS, SS, or PS skill to a Characteristic. If you do that, then the skill be comes 9+Characteristic/5, cost 3 points base and an additional +1 per 1 point.

Example:

KS: History 13- costs 4 points.

If the character with the KS: History had an 18 INT the player could buy the KS as KS: History 13- cost 3 points(18/5=4+9=13). This allows character who have a high Characteristic to get a break on the cost of some skills.

I believe the book says to factor in the disads first (divide), then the ads (multiply).

No. You take the base power. Multiple in all the Advantages. Then divide in all the Limitations. That is how you get the final cost of the power.

8d6 EB Armor Piercing: +1/2, Wood Only: -1 = 30 points.

8d6 Energy Blast = 40 points.

Armor Piercing is a +1/2 Advantage = +20 for a total of 60.

Versus Wood Only is a -1 Limitation = 30 (60/2=30)

What is a good point base (including all ads and disads) for starting GMs making the powers???

The chart on page 15 shows the basic Active Point limits. So for example in a "Standard Superhero" game the Active points should be between 40 and 80, with 60 being the average.

Say by using the chart you make a heroic character on 250 pts. (125 pts normal up to 125 pts with disads)

and only 50 pts for powers, 50 pts for attributes, 25 pts for skills. is this a good combo?

There is no real combination. Once again, it all depends on character concept. Superman would have many more points in powers than he does in skills. Batman would be the opposite. There is no formula which covers them all. Each character is unique, and thus does not fit into a like-mold.

Why is the movement adders in a different section of the book?

I am not real sure what you mean here. Could you clairify?

If you have not done so, I still think you need to download the Genre-By-Genre document. It has example characters in it (Taurus, a brick and Eagle-Eye, a marital aritist). Those example characters would give you a good idea of what a starting-level character should look like.

I am having a problem with the skills- How do you decide how many skills the characters should have??

According to page 339, "As a good rule of thumb, players should spend about 10% of a character's points on skills."

But there's no specific answer. It really depends on the character conception. A highly skilled former private eye whose mutant powers suddenly manifested would have quite a few skills. Whereas a spoiled brat whose powers manifested when they were young might never have needed to cultivate skills. (Either someone else always did things for them or they just used raw power.)

All my players are new to the Hero System. I suggested that they spend anywhere from 25-80 points on skills. Using the standard 350 point character - 200 points base ("free") and 150 in disadvantages. Again, the points spent on skills has a lot to do with character conception.

Things like What skill choices for a super hero game? a fantasy game?
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but again, it totally depends on the character. Think about comic book characters you're familiar with? For example Batman. He's got lots of skills. So what types of skills does he have? Acrobatics, probably Breakfall, Climbing, Combat Driving, Combat Piloting, Steath, Persuasion, Inventor (that's where he gets all those wonderful toys! ;) ), Martial Arts, etc. Just to name a few. He also has various knowledge and science skills.

In a fantasy game a "ranger"/woodsman would probably have skills such as Animal Handler, Survival, woods, Stealth, Tracking, KS: Animals, KS: Plants, Climbing, AK: Home forest, etc.

Skill level? If by that you mean how good is an 11 or less roll compared to a 14 or less, check out the sidebar on pages 28-29.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how do you get them".

If you want a character to have knowledge of something you just tack it onto the end of KS: . They cost 2 points for an 11 or less roll (+1 per point) or for 3 points the KS is based on a characteristic (often Int).

Say you're creating a character who is a chess champion in addition to being a crimefighter. This character might have skills along the lines of: KS: Chess, PS: Chess master, KS: Classic opening moves, KS: Famous chess players, KS: Chess player rankings. and as a hobby related to chess KS: Antique Chess sets, etc.

Since this character probably has a high intelligence it would be in your best interest to buy the characteristic-based version.

So assuming a 23 INT, the costs and roll would be:

3 KS: Chess 14-

3 PS: Chess master 14-

3 KS: Classic opening moves 14-

3 KS: Famous chess players 14-

3 KS: Chess player rankings 14-

3 KS: Antique Chess sets 14-

According to page 29, 14- to 15- equals "Very skilled". If you wanted to increase any of the skills, then you would spend 1 point per +1 per skill.

I have read the book and have tried to make some characters but without a basic template I am afraid I am not making them right.
Hmm... Regrettably the main book doesn't have any character examples that I can recall. Err... That was bad omission.

The genre book: Champions and sourcebook: Champions Universe both have lots of character examples. So if it's in your budget you might want to pick up one or both of them.

If you don't feel uncomfortable about it, why not post a character you've created?

The power making section is confusing because of the Advantages and disadvantages.

First of all... Disadvantages are something a character takes which reflect their psychological profile, their enemies, their weaknesses, etc. they are not applied to powers. Limitations are applied to powers.

And... You've reversed the process. All Advantages are calculated first. Then you apply Limitations.

As far as active point base, I'm using 60 Active points for my game as the standard maximum for allowed powers. Each character is also allowed up to one 75 active point power.

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area and can get to Scenario Games in Fremont I'd be happy to help you in person.

Take care,

Harry