Another Secret Service Question.

Mark Rand

The President and his wife thought that one of their daughters was stillborn. After he became President, a family friend showed him some records. The daughter he thought was stillborn was born alive and switched with another baby.

This new daughter has been training the big cats and handling a ring of horses at the Ross Brothers Circus for five years and has been married to the bandleader, a trumpet player, for the past three years.

The President isn't going to tell the public about this and, as far as the President knows, his newly-discovered daughter doesn't know the truth.

Does she get Secret Service protection?

Re: Another Secret Service Question.

If he's not letting anyone know, then how would they know to protect her?

I'd say, only be executive order.

I think such a plotline would actually call for a splinter group, not the actual Secret Service. It would be fun if they were "black ops" types, good at keeping secrets, who would hate being given a secret babysitting gig. Fun, because eventually the mission would heat up, of course.

People get Secret Service protection because who they are/who their parents are makes them a target, and these people are known and able to be relatively easily found.

If it's not public knowledge that she's the President's daughter, there would be no need for protection, because she wouldn't be a target.

People get Secret Service protection because who they are/who their parents are makes them a target, and these people are known and able to be relatively easily found.

If it's not public knowledge that she's the President's daughter, there would be no need for protection, because she wouldn't be a target.

Good point.

I thought they might have agents working undercover, in case someone else discovers the records, and let's the cat out of the bag.

Oh, our lady lion trainer is Holly Mason Reese. Matt Reese is her husband.

The discovery that Holly wasn't born to Mrs. Mason occurred when Mrs. Mason took ill and Holly's blood was needed for a transfusion. The problem is that Holly's blood is O positive and both her parents have AB negative blood.

The Mason family's doctor talked to the administrator of the hospital where Holly was born. He checked the records and discovered that there was only one other birth that night that had such a problem, a stillborn female child with AB negative blood born to parents with O positive blood. The stillborn girl's father is now the President of the United States.

He and his wife, a respected eye surgeon with her own practice, fearing that the secret might get out, asked the Secret Service what they could do to protect their daughter.

This reminds me, I should post a thread dealing with the First Lady's Secret Service detail.

I think the secret service would reply with a choice...make this public and get protection or keep it a secret, and if so she is treated as anyone else would beher protection will defacto "out" her anyway. The make it public isn't on Opra, it just means that her true parntage is known to others.....

The decision is made to tell Holly the truth and let her decide weither or not the public knows the that her father is the President.

The President and First Lady are surprised to learn that their daughter is a circus performer and even more surprised to learn that she trains and presents the big cats and handles a ring of liberty horses.

The Masons also told a funny story about Susan Reese, who plays the euphonium in the band and is legally blind. (She has a field of vision of only 14 degrees.) According to the story, Susan, while taking a break, was petting her guide dog, a reddish golden retrever named Sugar when someone told her that she shouldn't do that because it could distract the dog. Susan's brother, John, who plays the helicon, or helical tuba, explained that the dog was Susan's Susan then replied, "She's not my dog. I'm her person."

After more stories, Mr. Mason agreed to go to the circus, tell Holly the truth and wait for her decision.

After the First Lady pointed out that a DNA test would be required to determine Holly's true perentage, a Secret Service agent went with Mr. Mason to the circus. They talked first with David Michael Ross, one of the owners, who showed them around the lot and introduced various people, including Dr. Rumiko Nakamura, the show's vet, and Catherine "Cat" Campbell, R.N.P., the show's nurse.

Holly agreed that the news could be made public, if the DNA test results showed that she was the President's daughter, and suggested that the White House Press Secretary should make the announcement.

The Secret Service agent agreed and promised to have agents on duty at the circus before the announcement was made.

Two questions for our learned panel. Since Holly will be staying with the show, how many agents will be assigned to her? Will any of them travel with Mary "Cowgirl" West, the show's 24-hour advance agent?