Best way to promote Hero and attract new players

Re: Best way to promote Hero and attract new players

I agree with you one hundred percent. Plus you gotta have cool gamers

that are fun to hang out with.

Number crunching boring ex-traveller geeks who worry about the hard numbers and rules

are some baggage that Hero has to shed.

Actual role-players would be great, especially if the game take place in public, like at your FLGS

where you could entice new players with a cool game. ( Yeah Sidekick ! )

Actual role-players would be great, especially if the game take place in public, like at your FLGS

where you could entice new players with a cool game. ( Yeah Sidekick ! )

Of course public-play carries with a few risks of it's own - not all of the attention it generates if of the desirable type :ugly:

(There are some truly radiactive people out there that I'd rather not have hovering around my game table)

I have tried this...

... here...

and

... here...

... but I don't know that it drove sales. (Second time didn't get much of a response at all.) I don't know whether I have any desire to go to RPG.net or TheForge... neither of which is very hospitable.

Dude! You're preaching to the choir if all you post is here. I swear to you, both places are very hospitable to actual play posts. The Forge generally wants you to tie an actual play post somehow into "what did you learn from it" but everyone likes seeing gamers having fun with systems they enjoy.

(And you might find the Forge less hostile to Hero than you might think. Ron Edwards, the guy who started it, likes Hero, and there's a lot less "oh, that system sucks" there than at RPG.net. I've never heard of people outright dissing a system there.)

Read this.

Short answer: Play the game, have fun with it, post your play report. Post it to places like RPG.net and the Forge.

Short version of the thread to which I linked: some publishers can track increases in sales to individual postings.

IMo the best way to promote sales is to run the game for new people. that means running games at gaming stores, at cons, and actively seeking to add new people to your group.

For big book kind of games with steep learning curves, you aren't gonna normally talk someone intostarting in themselves. You gotta get them playing, show them as they play its not the bear it looks like, and work them over the hump.

By method was to offer to GM a new campaign in a setting lots of players liked and then offered Bonus Points for players who bought the Hero System Sidekick. I managed to sell 6 copies and bought 4 more to give away as gift to friends.

A good GM can make even the worst Game System fun. Fortunately with Hero System you never have to work hard to have a great time.

IMOHO

QM

P.S.: Pre Made Character Sheets, the Combat Sheets in the Free Stuff section and some dice. Stories are good, but action is better.

Cheers

DOJ needs to have a system to reward people who demo at stores, or 'cons. Free PDF downloads would be a great start.

This would promote the game and get more people to play and would lead to more sales.

Running it for a group is good. Better is to run a really awesome game for a group then post about it. Tell the world about the fun you've had with the system.

I have bought two games on the basis of reading about the fun people have been having with them.