V'Ger from the 1st Star Trek movie.

Badger

Asked similar question on Champions but didnt get much response. But seeing as Star Hero is more appropriate I'll try again. So I was wondering if anyone had ever done any speculation of V'Ger (voyager space probe) for Star Trek: The Motion Picture following the events of the movie. Like where it went, what it did, possible powers, etc. Heck, even possibly what it may have looked like after merging with a human.

Re: V'Ger from the 1st Star Trek movie.

Asked similar question on Champions but didnt get much response. But seeing as Star Hero is more appropriate I'll try again. So I was wondering if anyone had ever done any speculation of V'Ger (voyager space probe) for Star Trek: The Motion Picture following the events of the movie. Like where it went' date=' what it did, possible powers, etc. Heck, even possibly what it may have looked like after merging with a human.[/quote']

V'Ger discovered its potential expanded when it assemilated the Deltan, and even more so when it assemilated Decker. It transwarped to the Delta Quadrant and founded the Borg.

Two hundred years later, Starfleet suffered a massive attack of amnesia and named another starship Voyager. Apparently Titanic was not available.

And for a cashless society like the Federation - it amuses me that they keep proving that anything involve teleportation or holographic technology was obvious designed and built by the lowest bidder....

(but that's off topic)

I think that the "official" answer from the novel is that V'ger was then able to imagine other dimensions after the merger, and that it went off to explore them. It sort of links into the "Traveller" storyline from Next Generation, where Wesley learns that warp barriers and the like don't really exist if you think they don't.

But don't think too hard about all of it, since it was really just a remake of the Nomad episode from TOS, with better special effects.

YMMV,

JoeG

But don't think too hard about all of it, since it was really just a remake of the Nomad episode from TOS, with better special effects.

YMMV,

JoeG

Yep. Star Trek: The Motion Picture "Where Nomad has Gone Before!"

But don't think too hard about all of it' date=' since it was really just a remake of the Nomad episode from TOS, with better special effects.[/quote']

That may be true, but I think Changeling is actually better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The special effects were better in the latter, but the story...uh..."felt" better in the former.

And for a cashless society like the Federation - it amuses me that they keep proving that anything involve teleportation or holographic technology was obvious designed and built by the lowest bidder....

(but that's off topic)

Even more amusing is V'Ger's adopted home world which is filled to the brim with super-technology, but they can't wipe the soot off of V'Ger's side.

That may be true' date=' but I think [i']Changeling[/i] is actually better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The special effects were better in the latter, but the story...uh..."felt" better in the former.

I'd definitely agree. The Motionless Picture's story, while visually interesting (due to the special effects work of Douglas Trumbull), leaves much to be desired. According to Stephen King in Danse Macabre , Roddenberry was too attached to his story idea, "The God-Thing", and many authors were actually contacted to see if they could fix it.

JoeG

• 2 weeks later...