Unexpected Collisions?

Elbandit

Howdy!

I have noticed, and blindly used, that a number of speedsters have the disadvantage "Unexpected Collisions." In your games, what would constitute an unexpected collision?

Obviously if the character actually ran into something, it would count. What else would fall under the disadvantage?

Would knockback count? Damage when performing a move through? Damage from a move through? Damage from being thrown?

I may just be thinking about this too hard.

Re: Unexpected Collisions?

I don't think I've heard of this Disad. Unless you are talking about a Limitation on the character's Defenses, but I don't know it by that name if it is.

If you are talking about Defenses, I would definately count a deliberate impact, such as from a Move Through or Move By, as not being Unintentional. I equate it to shouldering a door down and stubbing your toe. Stubbing your toe hurts more because you aren't expecting it. The door you can prepare for because you are intentially doing it. Specific things I'd include in the "unintentional" category would be a Move Through/By done on the character, not being able to avoid a sudden obsticle (darn those Force Walls and Entangle barriers), and falling damage. I typically wouldn't include your average blunt attack (punches, kicks, baseball bats); while those are impacts, they are not "collisions" as that term is typically used. I might say that a surprise blunt attack (including punches, etc.) would count though, such as one from an invisible attacker.

If you are not talking about Defenses, then I really haven't got a clue.

I have noticed' date=' and blindly used, that a number of speedsters have the disadvantage "Unexpected Collisions." In your games, what would constitute an unexpected collision?[/quote']

I am assuming, Dust Raven, that he means a vulnerability to "unexpected collisions"?? A speedster with that disad would certainly need to be careful. I would say damage from collision attacks (move-through/move-by) would be expected, while damage from knockback or unperceived move-throughs wouldn't. Falls would probably depend on whether the character has had an action since he first started falling, and how the fall was initiated.

Thus, if Speedy performs a move-through on Slug-boy, that was expected. When the Invisible Bull Rush returns the favor (unperceived by Speedy), this was unexpected. In addition, the 13" KB into a nearby wall that is the reult of IBR's attack is also unexpected. However, the 30 story fall from the building (since IBR knocked Speedy out of the skyscraper) gives Speedy enough time to get his bearings and make the landing "expected".

Howdy!

I have noticed, and blindly used, that a number of speedsters have the disadvantage "Unexpected Collisions." In your games, what would constitute an unexpected collision?

Obviously if the character actually ran into something, it would count. What else would fall under the disadvantage?

Would knockback count? Damage when performing a move through? Damage from a move through? Damage from being thrown?

I may just be thinking about this too hard.

Can you give an example of a specific speedster, and what book he's in? I'm drawing a blank and would need to look it up.

Theala

Can you give an example of a specific speedster, and what book he's in? I'm drawing a blank and would need to look it up.

Theala

My bad! I checked the offical HERO speedsters and none of them have the disadvantage, though a lot of the ones on the HERO board have it. The disadvantage is from the CHampions Genre book under the speedsters section.

I am not sure if that helps or not.

As someone who's been hit in the visor of his motorcycle helmet, by a very, very large grasshopper, while doing 75mph+ on the freeway - yeah it'll stun ya. To be hit by suprise, by anything, while moving at several hundred mph (or faster) you're gonna take some stun (if not body as well).

As someone who's been hit in the visor of his motorcycle helmet' date=' by a very, very large grasshopper, while doing 75mph+ on the freeway - yeah it'll stun ya. To be hit by suprise, by anything, while moving at several hundred mph (or faster) you're gonna take some stun (if not body as well).[/quote']

That's exactly what I thought. Well, it was a dragonfly, and it caught me just under the lip of the helmet right on the forehead. Left a welt and a bruise.

If a speedster has an actual vulnerability to something like that and accidentally hits a garbage can or, Heaven forbid, an actual person, there's gonna be some hurtin' goin' on.

My bad! I checked the offical HERO speedsters and none of them have the disadvantage, though a lot of the ones on the HERO board have it. The disadvantage is from the CHampions Genre book under the speedsters section.

It does. I just looked it up. If a Speedster collides with anything during combat, such as a Force Wall, he is essentially doing a Move Through on the object--which means if he does not do Knockbak he takes full damage from the Move Through--and since Speedsters tend to have a lot of velocity that can add up to a lot of dice. Add X2 STUN from a Disad, and you have a recipe for disaster. I play a Speedster, and I would not choose this Disad for her. The Disad is certainly worth the 20 points--it would probably knock him out in one blow.

Theala

By deafult the chance of a character having an unexpected collision is zilch. I would not think, however, that this suddenly imposes a random chance of hitting things. Rather, I would think that it means the character must make rolls at high velocities to get where they are going without running into things that may appear in their path. As such, there is an extant lim that covers this eventuality: requires a skill roll. Because that's what lies at the heart of the matter: how skilled / experienced is the character at moving at high velocities?

By deafult the chance of a character having an unexpected collision is zilch. I would not think' date=' however, that this suddenly imposes a random chance of hitting things. Rather, I would think that it means the character must make rolls at high velocities to get where they are going without running into things that may appear in their path. As such, there is an extant lim that covers this eventuality: requires a skill roll. Because that's what lies at the heart of the matter: how skilled / experienced is the character at moving at high velocities?[/quote']

extending on the idea just a smidgen....

A skill roll not to activate, but to avoid Side Effects involving hitting something otherwise harmless and/or too small to see in time or avoid while in superfast mode.

I like it.

A lot.

Repped, not like you need it, you juggernaught ;)

Here's the above mentioned Disadvantage:

Vulnerability: 2 X STUN From Unexpected Collisions (Common; 20 points): The character doesn't withstand collision damage well when he isn't prepared for it' date=' such as when someone runs into him by surprise, instantly erects a Force Wall right in front of him, is the victim of a Martial Throw, or the like.[/quote']

I hope that this helps.