More Strength for Martial Artists?

Agent333

Re: More Strength for Martial Artists?

I have no problem with super-strength martial artists. NINJA HERO should prove that (Wong Fei Hong -- 25 STR' date=' Kayli the Destroyer -- 30 STR, the evil eunuch -- 35 STR, the heroic swordsman -- 25 STR), and so on. The martial artists in DRAGONBALL have STRs of 30-50, as so many such characters in other anime and HK wuxia films. Heck, look at the Beast from KUNG FU HUSTLE![/quote']

Completely agreed. HK films are full of super-strength martial artists. It's a perfectly valid concept in the right genre.

STR may well be the "better deal" but it is not always in concept. If your character concept is a little old man Master of Sinanju or Teenage Whirlwind Girl' date=' then the 40 STR is bogus. The numerous attempts by players to build the most efficient combatant and then sloppily paint a sort of personality on them, claiminig that its the concept they had all along have failed dismally.[/quote']

Have you read the Destroyer books lately? ;)

Chiun has a STR of at least 30-40, based purely on his ability to lift and carry let alone the punishment he can soak up and recover from, and Remo is stronger. He's been portrayed that way for years.

Nope' date=' Masters of Sinanju are actually much stronger than normal humans by far. They can lift cars, leap great distances, and throw objects [b']much[/b] further than someone with 10 Str and +6 DC could. Even early Remo could do so. This is suggested by the actual source material which states that Masters of Sinanju are far stronger than normal humans.

And further, that level of power is in accord with martial arts as portrayed in much of Chinese (and Japanese) wild-martial arts cinema. American comic book martial artists may be what a particular campaign is built around, but a full Journey to the West campaign is going to feature martial artists that have all sorts of super-powers.

Have you read the Destroyer books lately? ;)

Chiun has a STR of at least 30-40, based purely on his ability to lift and carry let alone the punishment he can soak up and recover from, and Remo is stronger. He's been portrayed that way for years.

Lately, no.

I am more than willing to accept that Chiun will continue to reveal abilities that we didn't know about, and Remo as well. Serial continuity of characters from any source is the bane of many Hero designed characters. :winkgrin:

I wouldn't presume that all fictional MAs are going to be 6 times stronger than a cop or soldier. In fact, I would have an easier time attributing many of the Sinanju abilities to TK or Damage Reduction rather than permanent raw STR including the secondary CHAs. But STR might well be the intended descriptive. Not being a folower of the Destroyer series for many years, I will defer to you and Gary. :)

Lately, no.

I am more than willing to accept that Chiun will continue to reveal abilities that we didn't know about, and Remo as well. Serial continuity of characters from any source is the bane of many Hero designed characters. :winkgrin:

I wouldn't presume that all fictional MAs are going to be 6 times stronger than a cop or soldier. In fact, I would have an easier time attributing many of the Sinanju abilities to TK or Damage Reduction rather than permanent raw STR including the secondary CHAs. But STR might well be the intended descriptive. Not being a folower of the Destroyer series for many years, I will defer to you and Gary. :)

To be fair, it all comes down to genre.

I cheerfully conceed that the vast majority of fictional martial artists in semi-realistic action/adventure movies and books are absolutely not superhumanly strong. Most comic-book martial artits probably aren't intended to be written as superhumanly strong, though many of the things they manage to do put them close to it. If the GM/Author wants to rule that martial artists don't have Super-Strength in the genre he's telling stories in, I'm fine with that. :)

However, if a player came to me and said he wanted to be a Wuxia martial artist with a 40 Str in a campaign where that concept worked, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the story requires it, the NPCs can probably kick his butt anyway. ;)

Lately, no.

When it comes to a difference between TK No Range and STR, it's easier to just buy STR. The SFX is still TK, but that's just the window dressing.

Other popular martial artists are also shown with an amazingly high STR. Ranma, almost all of Jet Li's characters and a few of Jackie Chan's older ones from his ancient Hong Kong days to name a few. I also wouldn't say any of these had any of the "special" maneuvers either, like Nerve Strike, which would make DCs more useful than STR.

When it comes to a difference between TK No Range and STR, it's easier to just buy STR. The SFX is still TK, but that's just the window dressing.

Other popular martial artists are also shown with an amazingly high STR. Ranma, almost all of Jet Li's characters and a few of Jackie Chan's older ones from his ancient Hong Kong days to name a few. I also wouldn't say any of these had any of the "special" maneuvers either, like Nerve Strike, which would make DCs more useful than STR.

Ryouga was stronger than Ranma. He once ripped a telephone pole out of the ground.