Let your geek show! (or Science for RPGs)

Labrat

This should come as interesting trivia for those of us who've played supers games...

FACT: "When walking across a carpet in a room that is at 20% relative humidity, as much as 35,000 V of electrostatic potential can be generated on the surface of your body. A similar trip in a room at 80% relative humidity generates about 1,500 V of electrostatic potential." (Source: Finnigan LTQ Preinstallation Requirements Guide, p3-5)

Anyone remember 'The Remnant' (or whatever his name was) from 'The Tick' cartoon? Hilarious. Build up charge, zap, get overheated, pass out.

That's gotta be good for a 1/2D6 EB, Energy, Penetrating. Doesn't it?

Re: Let your geek show! (or Science for RPGs)

Actually, I played a character whose premise was that she was mostly immune to electricity, and had more friction with everything she came in contact with, including the air, than any normal humans. So she had a constant electrical charge.

I was really proud of how inspired it was.

(in other words, don't go shattering my illusions, please. ^ v ^ )

Actually, I played a character whose premise was that she was mostly immune to electricity, and had more friction with everything she came in contact with, including the air, than any normal humans. So she had a constant electrical charge.

I was really proud of how inspired it was.

(in other words, don't go shattering my illusions, please. ^ v ^ )

Don't worry, this is Science we're talking about. It's like the weather in Michigan. If you don't like it, wait ten minutes... it's bound to change.

Don't worry' date=' this is Science we're talking about. It's like the weather in Michigan. If you don't like it, wait ten minutes... it's bound to change.[/quote']

Damn! In Michigan you have to wait a whole 10 minutes? Here in Minnesota we only have to wait 5!

Last night, while driving home, I went from thunderstorm, to clear sky, to downpour, to clear sky to drizzling, all in a 20 mile commute!

hey lay off the MI jokes Mr. Pennsylvania. Some of us like having all 4 seasons in an afternoon :)

Relax, I'm a native Michigander! Grew up just north of Detroit and moved out here for work after college. I have a right to claim the quote... honestly, who would even say that without coming from MI? Now I just get 'Michigan, huh? Y'know I went to Detroit once but I only saw the airport..." to which my reply is, "...then you've seen the best of Detroit then."

PA weather is not bad, though. Winters are relatively mild but it can get just as humid as the Great Lake State.

Damn! In Michigan you have to wait a whole 10 minutes? Here in Minnesota we only have to wait 5!

Last night, while driving home, I went from thunderstorm, to clear sky, to downpour, to clear sky to drizzling, all in a 20 mile commute!

They have that saying in New England, too, but I don't believe it for a second. The weather is MUCH more flexible here in North Carolina, and the worst extremes I ever encountered were in Florida (though the humidity and temperature never changed).

Relax, I'm a native Michigander! Grew up just north of Detroit and moved out here for work after college. I have a right to claim the quote... honestly, who would even say that without coming from MI? Now I just get 'Michigan, huh? Y'know I went to Detroit once but I only saw the airport..." to which my reply is, "...then you've seen the best of Detroit then."

PA weather is not bad, though. Winters are relatively mild but it can get just as humid as the Great Lake State.

Damn straight about MI. Do you remember that Michigan tourism mag that tried to say Michiganders were actually Michiganians? No one I've ever known, even my stuck-up aunt who takes any opportunity to look more classy, would refer to herself as a Michiganian.

I grew up about half an hour south of Detroit. And you're still right about the airport. ;)

Gosh you guys are way off topik!

bill.gif

Duly noted...

Check this out:

"While Hollywood filmmakers today are striving to make their movies as scientifically realistic as possible, Weinberg believes the comic books from the so-called Silver Age of comics (the late 1950s and the 1960s) were more grounded in science than most of what is being published today.

"Most of the people who wrote comics back then were originally science fiction writers who knew their science and technology," he said. "Many of today's comic book writers seem to have learned their science from reading comic books and not from studying modern technology."

So true...

Here's the reference. It's a nice little article:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/11/1112_041112_incredible_superhero_science.html

They have that saying in New England' date=' too, but I don't believe it for a second. The weather is MUCH more flexible here in North Carolina, and the worst extremes I ever encountered were in Florida (though the humidity and temperature never changed).[/quote']

I live in Miami, this is the only state in the union where you can drive into a rainstorm and drive out of it too.

Stationary rain, I love it.

I live in Miami' date=' this is the only state in the union where you can drive into a rainstorm and drive out of it too.[/quote']

Really? :think:

So Missouri isn't part of the United States? Because I've done that plenty of times in this state...and in others, too, come to think of it...