Water and Body

Vondy

Re: Water and Body

The thing is, though, physical damage probably isn't going to do much to water, and chemical attacks will most likely contaminate it and not much else. Energy attacks (that could vaporize it) will "destroy" water, but that's about it. Even then the type of energy (cold, heat, sonic, laser, etc.) will make a difference.

So not just the amount of BODY, but the type of BODY doing the damage needs to be taken into account.

I'll go with the 10 BODY per 100kg, at least for purposes of things like Transform used to create water. As Dr. A says, it's kinda hard to do damage to water. Though damage can be seen as splashing water out of a volume (physical damage), contaminating it (NND?, in any case, it's not water anymore, so it's damaged), or vaporizing it (energy damage).

I admit I was thinking more along the lines of "destroying" the water (i.e. it no longer exists as a liquid) and was considering that just "splashing" it (via a physical impact) wouldn't be "destroying" it; but you're right, if it's splashed out in such a way as to make it so scattered it can't be thought of as a discrete liquid anymore (droplets absorbed into the ground, and so on) that would probably do the trick.

Just now, I was looking up "Transform" for another reason entirely, and found this:

"For example, a spell which creates water would be Major Transform (air/nothingness into water), with the amount of water created based on the BODY rolled on the Transform dice (say, one gallon per BODY)."

Since you have to do double a target's BODY to Transform it, it could be logically reasoned that a gallon of water therefore has 1/2 BODY, or 2 gallons has 1 BODY. 2 gallons is close to 8 liters, so saying 1 BODY per 10 liters probably isn't a bad approximation.

Thoughts?

I admit I was thinking more along the lines of "destroying" the water (i.e. it no longer exists as a liquid) and was considering that just "splashing" it (via a physical impact) wouldn't be "destroying" it; but you're right' date=' if it's splashed out in such a way as to make it so scattered it can't be thought of as a discrete liquid anymore (droplets absorbed into the ground, and so on) that would probably do the trick.[/quote']

I was thinking of BODY as it is for characters, the amount of change it takes to make something not what it is now.

Just now, I was looking up "Transform" for another reason entirely, and found this:

"For example, a spell which creates water would be Major Transform (air/nothingness into water), with the amount of water created based on the BODY rolled on the Transform dice (say, one gallon per BODY)."

Since you have to do double a target's BODY to Transform it, it could be logically reasoned that a gallon of water therefore has 1/2 BODY, or 2 gallons has 1 BODY. 2 gallons is close to 8 liters, so saying 1 BODY per 10 liters probably isn't a bad approximation.

Thoughts?

Wow, something about Transform actually is in line with the rest of the system... maybe it's not a broken concept afterall. :D

Don't have the book with me' date=' but isn't this data in [i']The Ultimate Brick[/i]? Can anybody check on that?

Good call. The Ultimate Brick, page 106:

Water, Fresh 28 Kg/cubic foot -- 6,921 Kg/cubic hex -- BODY 6 DEF 0 STR to lift 41

Water, Salt 29 Kg/cubic foot -- 7,169 Kg/cubic hex -- BODY 6 DEF 0 STR to lift 41

Just as a side note, I would probably calculate the amount of water created by a single application of Transform based upon the Body-doubling rule. That way a larger Transform will have a dramatically larger effect (exponential increase with Active Points), and if you want to create smaller increments of material you can use multiple applications of a smaller Transform (including possible use of Autofire, Area of Effect, etc.).

I guess it depends upon the setting/genre a lot, but this seems to provide a great deal of flexibility in scale.

By the way, Water is Inherently Desolid which doesn't work against Fire and Heat based attacks (the water is turned to steam and effectively destroyed by such attacks) Most other attacks (including most energy attacks) wouldn't do much to water except splash it around a lot...

Of course, the Desolid is written up with the limitation Can not pass through solid objects (it must be "porous" or not water-tight)

By the way' date=' Water is Inherently [i']Desolid[/i] which doesn't work against Fire and Heat based attacks (the water is turned to steam and effectively destroyed by such attacks) Most other attacks (including most energy attacks) wouldn't do much to water except splash it around a lot...

Of course, the Desolid is written up with the limitation Can not pass through solid objects (it must be "porous" or not water-tight)

So how much damage would I do if I just drink it?

You aren't damaging it. You are Entangling it. At least until your next urination!

That raises an interesting point: in system terms wouldn't adding any solute to water be destroying it? If I add HCl(s) to water I get, "acid," not, "water with HCl(aq) in it," right? If I add wine, I get really weak wine. If I add orange juice concentrate, I get orange juice. Are solutes just Independent forms of Transform? Does water have a Damage Shield that Transforms solutes but destroys itself completely in the process? WHERE IS THE SANITY IN ALL THIS?! :D

That raises an interesting point: in system terms wouldn't adding any solute to water be destroying it? If I add HCl(s) to water I get' date=' "acid," not, "water with HCl(aq) in it," right? If I add wine, I get really weak wine. If I add orange juice concentrate, I get orange juice. Are solutes just Independent forms of Transform? Does [i']water[/i] have a Damage Shield that Transforms solutes but destroys itself completely in the process? WHERE IS THE SANITY IN ALL THIS?! :D

Wait a second... water is a special effect! It doesn't need BODY

Well' date=' [i']this[/i] thread has taken a left turn into the Twilight Zone.

What's next? Shall we resurrect the thread on building a towel, the thread on building a cereal bowl, or the thread on building a fork?

I suggest something now and exciting! Perhaps a can of Diet Pepsi? Not regular Pepsi, which could be written up as a limited form of LS due to its carb content, but Diet Pepsi, which is just flavored carbonated water. Wait... we covered water. Damn.

Broccoli? What are the stats for broccoli? Don't forget it kills cancer. :eg:

Well, I can offer you the HERO stats for my Cafe Press "HeroMan" logo coffee mug, as printed on its side:

Holy Refreshing Beverage, HeroMan!: Multipower, 5-point reserve, all OAF (mug: -1); RP 2.

1u) Liquid Refreshment: Life Support (Diminished Eating: no need for other drinks until mug is empty); OAF (-1) 1 continuing Fuel Charge (Easy to refill, lasts for up to 1 Hour if sipped slowly; -0)

1u) How Dare You Try To Take My Mug!: HA +1d6; OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Total Cost: 4 points

Options:

Sweet Caffeinated Beverages: Add a third slot, Life Support (Diminished Sleep; only needs half as much sleep as normal); 1 AP.

What's the write-up for a mirror? Images? OAF Breakable bonus to Seduction? RKA' date=' Only Against Basilisk and Gorgons (-1/4)[/quote']

How about Extradimensional bought as a Naked Advantage for the Sight Group, 0 End, Continuous, Persistant, OAF, Usable as Attack, and Area of Effect (since everyone in front of the mirror can benefit). You just happen to be looking into a dimension that is an exact reflection of your own (or almost exact...). Oh, and be careful you don't run into anything that can step through from the other side.... :)

How about Extradimensional bought as a Naked Advantage for the Sight Group' date=' 0 End, Continuous, Persistant, OAF, Usable as Attack, and Area of Effect (since everyone in front of the mirror can benefit). You just happen to be looking into a dimension that is an exact reflection of your own (or almost exact...). Oh, and be careful you don't run into anything that can step through from the other side.... :)[/quote']

That's how I have them written up. I thought it was obvious. :D

Actually, I have an actual mirrow written up as Clairsentience (sight group) with the limitations Reduced Range (or No Range) and Sees Mirror Image (-0). The idea is for mirrors you use to see behind you or around corners.

This water thread may come in extremely handy in my PBEM. I was wondering how much water my flame aura could turn into steam, and we are fighting a hydrokinetic who appears to be dependent on ambient water. Thanks!

By the way Dust Raven, isn't your sig Meatloaf, or did Meatloaf sample that for his song?

By the way Dust Raven, isn't your sig Meatloaf, or did Meatloaf sample that for his song?

My sig changes with every refresh actually, but there are two Jim Steinman quotes. the one that ends "you've got a hell of a lot to learn about rock and roll" is actually spoken by Jim Steinman on his album Bad for Good (originally written as Meatloaf's second album, but his voice gave out and he quit), and later also used in Bat out of Hell: II. The other quote, from Life is a Lemon, I quote as Steinman because he wrote it. It was only performed/recorded by Meatloaf though. Oddly enough, I've cited all of Bonnie Tyler's stuff as herself, even though the stuff I have quoted is also written by Steinman.