Money System

Icel

At last, I successfully gathered players to found a HERO group. I'm the GM, and I'm working on campaign guidelines.

I came up with this money system, and I would like comments. The campaign use 150 points Heroic characters.

The basic money given to each character is 750$ (150x5). Each piece of equipment cost is Real Cost x5 in $.

Every level of the Money Perk increase the cash multiplier by 0.25 (i.e. Money I gives 5.25 multiplier, or 788$).

5-points Money Disadvantage decrease the cash multiplier to 4 (or 600$).

10-points Money Disadvantage decrease the cash multiplier to 3 (or 450$).

This multiplier apply to characters starting money only, not for determine equipment price.

Re: Money System

What type of campaign is it going to be. My gut reaction is that $300 for a 10 point Disadvantage is easy points. So there character does not start off with all the latest equipment. After a session or two he will probably make up the difference.

Are you expecting your players to load up on equipment?

Guest Black Lotus

At last, I successfully gathered players to found a HERO group. I'm the GM, and I'm working on campaign guidelines.

I came up with this money system, and I would like comments. The campaign use 150 points Heroic characters.

The basic money given to each character is 750$ (150x5). Each piece of equipment cost is Real Cost x5 in $.

Every level of the Money Perk increase the cash multiplier by 0.25 (i.e. Money I gives 5.25 multiplier, or 788$).

5-points Money Disadvantage decrease the cash multiplier to 4 (or 600$).

10-points Money Disadvantage decrease the cash multiplier to 3 (or 450$).

This multiplier apply to characters starting money only, not for determine equipment price.

It's fine, as long as the Money Perk and Disadvantages count for more than just starting money. Reason: spending Character Points to get a little bit more starting money is crazy. If a character spends CP on the Money Perk, I recommend giving him access to extra funds sometimes when the time arises during the campaign. And if he has the Money Disadvantage, I recommend sometimes informing him that he has to pay an old debt, etcetera.

Sure it's OK to have the Perk affect the starting values, as long as that's not all it affects. Otherwise, it looks good to me.

Guest Black Lotus

What type of campaign is it going to be. My gut reaction is that $300 for a 10 point Disadvantage is easy points. So there character does not start off with all the latest equipment. After a session or two he will probably make up the difference.

If you think a Disadvantage worth $300 is easy points, what do you think an ADVANTAGE worth only $33 is? You crazy, Court?

If you think a Disadvantage worth $300 is easy points, what do you think an ADVANTAGE worth only $33 is? You crazy, Court?

actually, it's 38$ per money level (38$ money I, 75$ money II, 113$ money III etc). Maybe it's a little too small. How is 75$ per level sound?

It's fine, as long as the Money Perk and Disadvantages count for more than just starting money. Reason: spending Character Points to get a little bit more starting money is crazy. If a character spends CP on the Money Perk, I recommend giving him access to extra funds sometimes when the time arises during the campaign. And if he has the Money Disadvantage, I recommend sometimes informing him that he has to pay an old debt, etcetera.

Sure it's OK to have the Perk affect the starting values, as long as that's not all it affects. Otherwise, it looks good to me.

Good point, I'll consider that.

It's a near-future sci-fi militaristic campaign. In my setting players don't have much powers to build, so they will be depending on equipment.

If you think the levels are not balanced, can you suggest an alternative?

It's a near-future sci-fi militaristic campaign.

By that do you mean that the characters are part of an official military organisation? If that's the case then I'd be tempted to ignore the money issue and simply hand out the gear (but make them responsible for it). Otherwise, the above replies seem to cover things; I tend to "wing it" too much on this sort of topic to offer a balanced points breakdown.

By that do you mean that the characters are part of an official military organisation? If that's the case then I'd be tempted to ignore the money issue and simply hand out the gear (but make them responsible for it). Otherwise' date=' the above replies seem to cover things; I tend to "wing it" too much on this sort of topic to offer a balanced points breakdown.[/quote']

Technically they are, but they play mercenaries (their choice, not mine) so I prefer they would buy their own gear.

how are you figureing out the cost of weapons? because if you can get a basic weapon, some armor and a ship for 300, that's a deal.

I know it's easy to get better stuff when the game starts because if you are being a merc, you either need to make a profit or be dead at the end of a mission.

I play a similarly themed space pirate game, we've found that we can get the weapons we want after about 12 weeks of game time.

I like Black Lodus' sugestion. Maybe there is a way it effects a montly income?

Gear price is Real Cost*5, as I said before.

Combat Armor costs 175$-230$, weapons can cost anywhere from 60$ to 150$.

They don't need to buy vehicle becuase they play as part of an army.

I think I'll change the level to the following:

Money perk: +1 multiplier (+150$ per level);

Money Disadvantage: 5- 300$; 10- 150$.

Guest Black Lotus

Gear price is Real Cost*5, as I said before.

Combat Armor costs 175$-230$, weapons can cost anywhere from 60$ to 150$.

They don't need to buy vehicle becuase they play as part of an army.

I think I'll change the level to the following:

Money perk: +1 multiplier (+150$ per level);

Money Disadvantage: 5- 300$; 10- 150$.

Just remember, money can be easily gained or lost, while Character Points spent on Advantages and Disadvantages may be semi-permanent or permanent.

Thus, I feel that permanently sacrificing CP to buy the "Money" Advantage should permanently provide one with more money, and vice versa -- not just on a one-time basis.

Thus' date=' I feel that permanently sacrificing CP to buy the "Money" Advantage should permanently provide one with more money, and vice versa -- not just on a one-time basis.[/quote']

Yes, I know that. Those with Money are wealthier.

I was working on the gear list and found out that the prices are too low. Characters can buy armor+personal shield+2 heavy weapons and still have some cash left...

Guest Black Lotus

I was working on the gear list and found out that the prices are too low. Characters can buy armor+personal shield+2 heavy weapons and still have some cash left...

I'd choose either armor or weapons, identify which are more valuable in the context of your game, and multiply the price of the category you choose by a factor of 10. I recommend multiplying the price of Armor by 10, because armor can be harder to get your hands on and must sometimes be customized to fit the wearer.

Alternately, you could multiply the price of each category -- wespons and armor -- by 5 each, or 3 and 7, 6 and 4, etcetera.

Whatever system you use, you should make the cool stuff hard to get. Maybe the price is high but in addition, the store might not have it in stock.

It gives the players something to shoot for.

In one of my games, the price of the best armor is WAY out of reach at the start. They can get a good weapon but that's about it, no armor. So they have to make sacrifices both ways with their money.

Guest Black Lotus

Whatever system you use, you should make the cool stuff hard to get. Maybe the price is high but in addition, the store might not have it in stock.

It gives the players something to shoot for.

In one of my games, the price of the best armor is WAY out of reach at the start. They can get a good weapon but that's about it, no armor. So they have to make sacrifices both ways with their money.

Yes, I also recommend this; often applying the "Cutting Edge Technology" cost-raising attribute to an item's price is sufficient.

After all, a good suit of Power Armor is worth more than the sum of its parts. ;)

Whenever equipment becomes an issue (the focus of a campaign) I am tempted to charge character points for all equipment, or at least weapons and armor and/or use Resource Pools. This is just a personal preference. I never cared much for the Monty Hall effect.

After some thoughts, I give you the new system:

Money: The basic money given to each character is 750$ (150x5).

Every level of the Money Perk increase the cash multiplier by 0.5 (i.e. Money I gives 5.5 multiplier, or 825$).

5-points Money Disadvantage decrease the cash multiplier to 2 (or 300$).

10-points Money Disadvantage decrease the cash multiplier to 1 (or 150$).

Equipment Price: The base price of every piece of equipment is Real Cost x5.

Each type of equipment gets a raise in its price:

1. Ultratech: increase price by 100% (it adds with the normal type, i.e. Ultratech Armor get 75%+ 100%).

2. Armor & Heavy Weaponry: increase price by 75%.

3. Normal Weaponry: increase price by 50%.

4. Utility Equipment: increase price by 25%.

Whenever equipment becomes an issue (the focus of a campaign) I am tempted to charge character points for all equipment, or at least weapons and armor and/or use Resource Pools. This is just a personal preference. I never cared much for the Monty Hall effect.

the equipment the focus of a campaign, it is just a big part of character creation. The focus of the campaign is military strategy, adventure and conspiracy.

They will need this equipment to stay alive, thats all.

The Price List:

Light Field Operations Suit 306$

Standard-Issue Field Battlesuit 403$

Anti-Sonic Defense 228$

Personal Shield 438$

Hopping Landmine 245$

Magnetic Sniper Rifle 333$

Sonic Missile Launcher 420$

Sonic Disrupter 420$

Pulse Missile Launcher 403$

Disc Launcher 928$

Field PCU 138$

Jet Pack 169$

Drone Control Unit 338$

Autorepair Device 344$

PCU Program: Hologram 125$

PCU Program: Worm Virus 131$

PCU Program: Tracing Program 255$

Advanced Wave Scanner 188$

Personal Cloaking 363$

Gene Reconstructive Drug Injector 750$

Icicle Sprayer 150$

Pulse Mine 158$

Sonic Rifle 285$

Gauss Rifle 338$

Freeze Gun 368$

Pulse Gun 300$

I'm not fond of the d&d style system of money usage. I think each character needs to have access to whatever amount of wealth they are willing to pay for. Someone who spends 6 points on the money perk should have access to $1,000,000.00 a year. If they don't then there's no real reason to buy the perk.

I'm not fond of the d&d style system of money usage. I think each character needs to have access to whatever amount of wealth they are willing to pay for. Someone who spends 6 points on the money perk should have access to $1' date='000,000.00 a year. If they don't then there's no real reason to buy the perk.[/quote']

I slightly disagree with this. It really depends on how much of that money goes for upkeep, as the Perk doesn't provide excess income, it provides total income. That total income is most likely used to pay the upkeep on the character's more expensive equipment, housing, services, etc. After all is said and done, they'll still have more left over change, but certainly not $1,000,000 in spending money each year.

For a merc, he's either gotta be part of a merc company where everybody pays for the same wealth, or an individual merc is a richboy who doing this merc thing for kicks. There should also be a minimum level of wealth every member in the company must have (unless it's explained why one PC makes significently less than another PC, or what that one PC does with his money that he effectively doesn't have it)

I slightly disagree with this. It really depends on how much of that money goes for upkeep, as the Perk doesn't provide excess income, it provides total income. That total income is most likely used to pay the upkeep on the character's more expensive equipment, housing, services, etc. After all is said and done, they'll still have more left over change, but certainly not $1,000,000 in spending money each year.

For a merc, he's either gotta be part of a merc company where everybody pays for the same wealth, or an individual merc is a richboy who doing this merc thing for kicks. There should also be a minimum level of wealth every member in the company must have (unless it's explained why one PC makes significently less than another PC, or what that one PC does with his money that he effectively doesn't have it)

You're cutting too fine of a line. When I said access to $1,000,000 I meant that a character is going to be able to buy far more things than the system Icel was showing. In his system a level 6 perk millionaire would have access to 1,200 credits whereas a normal person would have access to 750. That 450 credit spread is not an accurate representation of the difference between a person who makes 1 million a year and a person who makes $75,000 per year, IMO.

You're cutting too fine of a line. When I said access to $1' date='000,000 I meant that a character is going to be able to buy far more things than the system Icel was showing. In his system a level 6 perk millionaire would have access to 1,200 credits whereas a normal person would have access to 750. That 450 credit spread is not an accurate representation of the difference between a person who makes 1 million a year and a person who makes $75,000 per year, IMO.[/quote']

This, I agree with strongly. :)

Sorry for the confusion then.