Other Ways Of Using Luck

Edsel

The Other Ways Of Using Luck are given on page 199 of 5ER and on page 128 of FREd. How many people use these methods or have their own luck rules they would care to share?

Our current house rules are as follows:

A die of luck can be used to do any one of several things. Each die of luck can only be used once per play secession. Be aware that NPCs will use the same rules for luck dice that player characters do.

1)Add up to a 1d6 bonus to you OCV for one phase.

2)Add up to a 1d6 bonus to your DCV for one phase.

3)Add up to 1d6 damage classes to your attack. In this case the die of luck is expended after a successful to hit roll is made.

4)Subtract up to 1d6 damage classes from an attack that just hit you.

Your dice of luck are usable only once per night. At the end of the night your dice of luck return.

However I kind of think that this is pehaps too powerful. It makes Luck too much of a good deal. That is why I am seeking input and/or ideas.

Re: Other Ways Of Using Luck

Our method is you roll your dice of luck at the beginning of the game and add up the pips. That total is the number of points you can use per session to adjust CV, skill rolls, or characteristics. Once all the pips are used up you are done making "major" lucky adjustments. You still get the benefits of being a lucky person based on GM's discretion.

I use luck as written, with one big house rule difference. I allow a "push your luck" maneuver (0 phase) that works like a mulligan.. a do-over. call it a hero point or whatever. I decide how much luck it would take to change whatever they wish to change, then for the rest of the session they lose that many dice. If they don't have enough luck, then they obtain temporary unluck for the rest of the session.

I use all of the OTHER WAYS OF USING YOUR LUCK, defined for individual characters when the Power is taken. I do NOT use the normal means of resolving Luck.

Blackjack from my Millennial Men campaign is built around the total of roll = Luckpoints to modify Rolls with model. He's listed here:

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/Blackjack.HTML

As written I don't perceive luck as being a "good buy." Over the years I've played with the following:

1) at the beginning of a session roll your luck and count the body (as though it were normal damage). This is the number of rerolls you get in the session.

2) at the beginning of a session roll your luck and count the body (as though it were normal damage). This is the number of times during a session you can tell the GM "better lucky than good" and have your luck come into play. In this method, I allow the player to decide how many of their "luck instances" to burn at a given time, with each one being a level on the chart.

3) replace luck with other constructs because the mechanic is a) not reliable, and B) very open ended, and c) doesn't reflect many applications, especially fairly consistent ones (black cat and longshot come to mind), very well.

I have run luck two different ways.

First is to count each die of luck as one luck point. The character can use this luck point to re roll the dice if they blow a roll, or to help them find a clue, take the right turn, fall on soft ground, etc.

Second way is to have the player roll his luck dice and add up all the 6's. Each 6 will assure them some level of success in what they are attempting to accomplish. The more 6's the more good stuff happens.