Unusual recurring themes

red_eagle123

In looking over the recaps one of my players writes up for every one of our FtF games, I noticed two themes that have developed in regards to the Champions game I GM.

The first one is that my low level PC's (They're averaging about 295-310 currently) have met quite a few of the heavyweights in the Champions Universe. But they've done it in such a way that they've not had to fight said heavyweights (They met Dr. Destroyer back during WW2, Eurostar threatened the PC's to find out why they're being haunted by their dead members, Zodiac wound up being led by an old teammate, Foxbat sent a vastly reprogrammed and faulty Mechanon after them).

The second theme, and one I find even more interesting, is that the biggest victories for the PC's are done in such a way that nobody outside of them know they exist. They've fixed the timestream (twice now) by travelling to the past. They defeated Zodiac by resetting the universe, etc etc.

So do any GM's out there have unusual recurring themes in their games?

Re: Unusual recurring themes

Yes I have a unusual recurring theme...My game is set in Seattle, WA and for some wierd reason the Emerald City Defenders cant seem to go more than 2 or 3 sessions with out trashing SafeCo Field ( Where the Seattle Mariners baseball team plays ). It seems they are convinced that it is mystical nexus point. So between ninjas, aliens, and a forgotten god the Mariners aint gonna win a World Series any time soon.

In looking over the recaps one of my players writes up for every one of our FtF games, I noticed two themes that have developed in regards to the Champions game I GM.

The first one is that my low level PC's (They're averaging about 295-310 currently) have met quite a few of the heavyweights in the Champions Universe. But they've done it in such a way that they've not had to fight said heavyweights (They met Dr. Destroyer back during WW2, Eurostar threatened the PC's to find out why they're being haunted by their dead members, Zodiac wound up being led by an old teammate, Foxbat sent a vastly reprogrammed and faulty Mechanon after them).

The second theme, and one I find even more interesting, is that the biggest victories for the PC's are done in such a way that nobody outside of them know they exist. They've fixed the timestream (twice now) by travelling to the past. They defeated Zodiac by resetting the universe, etc etc.

So do any GM's out there have unusual recurring themes in their games?

I think those are part (conciously or not) of emulating the genre. It *is* the team's "book" after all, so they're naturally at the center of a lot. The "big victory/no change" is a way to to do the big stories without having to deal with the other ramifications/make the evolution of the world one of the big centerpieces of the campaign (as the RDU does).

I have a few ... I try to rein them in, but sometimes, I just gotta.

1. 'Pop Culture' villains. In an old Marvel game, I used some demonically possessed action figures to throw Pokemon at the heroes. I used a dimensional disaster to drop the PCs into the final battle of Attack of the Clones. It kind of ties in to one bit from the Justice League comic, where there's an alternate universe that matches a comic book; the theory is that the creator was psychically making 'contact' with that universe and drawing from its experiences to write the comic.

2. Dimensional gates. Kind of connected to the first, my PCs are often confronted with time travel portals, warp gates, and various other 'how did we get here' situations.

3. Boats that the PCs travel on always sink. Planes and cars don't crash, but boats? Glub Glub, Beyotch.

The main recurring theme in my game is that the female mentalist with a COM of 20 is hunted by Menton.

The thing is, he want's to convince her to be his wife/mate. Not hurt her or put a mental whammie on her.

The player is getting to hate the love notes, flowers, and "Help" (out of combat and off screen) he gives.

Way back in high School, I ran a three GM Champions/MSH game where the weather always turned nasty as a GM switch occurred. Now we were playing in Oklahoma so the weather normally did screwy things but I would like have tornadoes in downtown and massive lightning storms. Funny thing was I didn't realize I was doing it until one of the players pointed out "Bad storm's rollin' in...could be a new GM."

Hawksmoor

I think those are part (conciously or not) of emulating the genre. It *is* the team's "book" after all' date=' so they're naturally at the center of a lot. The "big victory/no change" is a way to to do the big stories without having to deal with the other ramifications/make the evolution of the world one of the big centerpieces of the campaign (as the RDU does).[/quote']

Actually I would have to disagree with the idea that these themes are recurring because there have been major changes to the game. The PC's started out as really really low-level 'joke' characters. Through their actions half of downtown Milwaukee was destroyed, and later converted to a mutant-ville situation. The team has been relocated (due to their actions, but nobody outside of them is aware they ever existed anywhere but their new town, silly reality shifts) to Springfield NJ, they are now recognized as a bigger player in the Super-Hero circles (Champions, SF Protectors and Sentinels).

It just so happens that their three biggest victories wound up either preserving the existing time stream, or took place on metaphysical scales that the average yeoman wouldn't be aware of.

In looking over the recaps one of my players writes up for every one of our FtF games' date=' I noticed two [b']themes that have developed in regards to the Champions game I GM. [/b]

(snip)

(snip)

And then...

Actually I would have to disagree with the idea that these themes are recurring (snip)

Umm, OK, nevermind. The recurring theme you mentioned isn't recurring. Whatever. Just going by the info you provided. No theme to see here, move along.

Blah, bad Eagle for posting while tired.

I meant that the themes weren't developed to emulate the genre, specifically the victories being unknown to most in order to keep the status quo.

I sure think that's what I meant. To be honest right now I'm so punch drunk on caffeine, fever-chills (I think I'm fighting off some illness) and sleep deprivation that I swear I'm seeing little faeries dance around my desk....

If going home meant I didn't get paid I'd be home in an instant curled up in bed.

Sorry SS, didn't mean to confuse (or anyone else for that matter).

Too late!

Add me to the confused list. You are not going home because if you did you'd get paid?

Go Home = No Pay (If I went home, I wouldn't get paid)

Plus I've already missed 2 days this pay period for other reasons.... that's a hit to my paycheck I'm not able to withstand at the moment.