Judge Dredd HERO?

John T

Re: Judge Dredd HERO?

I did a search on the boards' date=' finding nothing useful. Has anyone done any work on something like this?[/quote']

PM Markdoc, he's mentioned playing in a JUDGE DREDD game waybackwhen.

Judge Dredd always struck me as one of those dystopic worlds in which committing a capital offense and getting the Judges to kill you would actually improve your situation and Judge Death, a being who insisted that being alive was itself a crime, may have been right on the money.

Dystopias like that,m where dead was better than alive, were popular ion those days when it was assumed that mankind was always 45 minutes away from a well-deserved extinction at the hands of "that madman Reagan".

Here is a thread that deals with the Lawgiver Pistol .

That is all I have found with a quick search. If I find more I'll post again.

Actually, glancing at that thread was what got me to thinking about the subject, but I've never had much trouble coming up with the more prominent equipment for a given setting. Was mostly interested in seeing if anyone had done work on the overall setting, in HERO terms.

Now if I can just figure out why the boards didn't let me know anyone had responded to this thread... :think:Probably accidentally deleted my subscription the last time I cleaned out my "subscribed threads" list. :doi:

John T

Judge Dredd always struck me as one of those dystopic worlds in which committing a capital offense and getting the Judges to kill you would actually improve your situation and Judge Death, a being who insisted that being alive was itself a crime, may have been right on the money.

Dystopias like that,m where dead was better than alive, were popular ion those days when it was assumed that mankind was always 45 minutes away from a well-deserved extinction at the hands of "that madman Reagan".

Seriously, tell me what you REALLY think. :)

Certainly, it's a dystopic view of the world. Show me a post apocalyptic game setting or literary source that isn't. The finger, levelled at the hypothetical "responsible parties" is an intrinsic part of the setting.

We won't even go into how much either of us believes (or not) how richly humanity deserves extinction...

John T

Well, I'm first going to say that Dredd himself is built on waay more points than almost anyone else in the setting, even shortly after his first appearance.

As a campaign setting, the Judge Dredd world offers a number of interesting areas and short-term plotlines to work with, even if you don't take the obvious option of making the player characters Mega-City One Judges. It's a fairly dystopic world with a large slice of morbid humor (and just juvenile humor as well), but there are places where a certain amount of optimism can be justified.

Because there's a mostly consistent history to the Dredd universe, you can also choose the era you want to play.

For example, in the very earliest stories, the Judges were still an elite force above regular policemen, and were in theory still answerable to a civilian government. Over a very short period, however, all other law enforcement and government oversight collapsed, making Mega-City One a literal police state.

Gimme a few weeks and I'll see what I can piece together for packages & equipment ... I'm an old Dredd fan and would love to work on some conversions :D
Yeah, would definitely have to say that I'm an old Dredd fan, myself, mostly due to the fact (as I've mentioned elsewhere) that I haven't consistently read ANY comics since '95. :(

I'm mainly interested in history, people, equipment lists and capabilities, basically the viscera of the setting. From that, I'd certainly be happy to lend another brain to the conversion process. :D

John T

Well' date=' I'm first going to say that Dredd himself is built on waay more points than almost anyone else in the setting, even shortly after his first appearance.[/quote']Well, naturally, since the comic is NAMED for him. :D

As a campaign setting, the Judge Dredd world offers a number of interesting areas and short-term plotlines to work with, even if you don't take the obvious option of making the player characters Mega-City One Judges.
Certainly, though I often got the feeling that Judges were a rather insular society unto themselves; you just didn't see them hanging out with average citizens, at least not as I remember it. Seemed to lend itself to either "All Judges" or "No Judges" style games. YMMV, naturally.

Because there's a mostly consistent history to the Dredd universe, you can also choose the era you want to play.

For example, in the very earliest stories, the Judges were still an elite force above regular policemen, and were in theory still answerable to a civilian government. Over a very short period, however, all other law enforcement and government oversight collapsed, making Mega-City One a literal police state.

Is there an online source for the history?

John T

Certainly, though I often got the feeling that Judges were a rather insular society unto themselves; you just didn't see them hanging out with average citizens, at least not as I remember it. Seemed to lend itself to either "All Judges" or "No Judges" style games. YMMV, naturally.

John T

Insular is a good word for it. A majority of Judges are actually clones of previous successful Judges; the remainder of Judge candidates are exceptionally promising children plucked from their families as young as possible. (For much the same reason the Jedi do it that way.) Judge cadets are raised in the Academy with minimal outside contact, and heavily indoctrinated in the law enforcement philosophy. This has all the drawbacks that you might think it does.

There's a fairly high washout rate; mostly fatalities, but a few cadets just aren't cut out for the life and wind up in the civilian population. (This makes a good background for a combat-ready non-Judge.)

Most rookie Judges will be cookie-cutter characters, composed of the necessary packages, one or two quirks, and that's about it. More experienced Judges will start accumulating Psych Lims other than those required by the packages.

More than minimum Mental Defense is rare in Judges, even Psi-Judges. Dredd is a notable exception, having built up a formidable mind shield, and being impervious to fear-based effects.

Judges will only work with non-Judges when the mission requires a special set of talents that just aren't available otherwise. (Most notably, Judge Dredd's recruitment of Spikes Harvey Rotten for the Cursed Earth run.) So yes, your campaign options are pretty much all-Judge or no-Judge.

• 1 year later...

Insular is a good word for it. A majority of Judges are actually clones of previous successful Judges; the remainder of Judge candidates are exceptionally promising children plucked from their families as young as possible.

Is this new continuity? By which I mean, the last ten years or so to be honest! Certainly before the major disasters of Necropolis and Judgement Day, clone judges were the exception rather than the rule. I'd be surprised if this has significantly changed, with the issues around the Judda (evil clone judges created by Morton Judd).

More than minimum Mental Defense is rare in Judges, even Psi-Judges. Dredd is a notable exception, having built up a formidable mind shield, and being impervious to fear-based effects.

I agree with the broad statement. With more specifics, psi judges seem to be able to exercise mental defence over an area (almost like a block rather than MD). I'd say that Dredd has some personal MD and a resistance but not immunity to Fear (which sits neatly with HERO anyway).

Judges will only work with non-Judges when the mission requires a special set of talents that just aren't available otherwise. (Most notably, Judge Dredd's recruitment of Spikes Harvey Rotten for the Cursed Earth run.) So yes, your campaign options are pretty much all-Judge or no-Judge.

If you base a campaign around an epoch shattering event like Cursed Earth, Judge Cal, Necropolis or Judgement Day, it's actually very easy to envisage mixed teams of judges and civvies, and this can create a better group dynamic. Having said, all-judge campaigns can be very rewarding and I strongly recommend you seek out old White Dwarf scenarios based around the old GW JD game, as they had some really good ideas.