Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Major Tom

Re: Friendly faces in the Post-Apocalypse

One possibility for this cave as far as your campaign goes would be to have

the cave be the entrance to a high-tech facility (biological research, genetic

engineering, or whatever tickles your fancy), which -- if something like the

Morrow Project existed in your campaign's pre-war historical background --

would have been constructed by those who wanted to preserve some of the

advanced technology of the pre-war world for future generations.

In other words, just the sort of place where your PCs might find what

they're looking for to cure a plague.

Major Tom :cool:

Wow...Captain Obvious, thanks for that site bro. That is exactly what I was after. You f*ck*ng rock.

And Major Tom (Jesus, am I the only civilian in this unit?) I toldja to inspire me, not write the end of the campaign!

I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid. Seriously though, thanks for the boost there Major - I think thats exactly how I'll sort out the plague angle. I might need a little more Morrow Project priming before I end this particular campaign... you know, now that I think of it, I've never actually finished a campaign before; they always just kept going on and on or we changed systems. Man... I love the Post-Apocalypse!

Okay, q&a again. I'm watching a lot of westerns this week for inspiration, and they keep referencing Railroad Barons, Cattle Barons, and Mine Barons (and a few others). Exactly what is a railroad baron? I figure a cattle baron owns a sh*tload of cattle, or maybe just all of it... I figure a mine baron owns a mine - but if he can protect it he's prolly an evil Gene Hackman with a small army of goons. I just can't figure out what the Hell a Rail Baron is.

I know, its stupid, but I have 2 excuses; not only am I blonde, I'm also a pothead, so not understanding the simplest things or knowing the obvious sometimes happens to me. A lot. Well... most of the time. But I is a highschool graduation, dadgummit!

j

Okay, q&a again. I'm watching a lot of westerns this week for inspiration, and they keep referencing Railroad Barons, Cattle Barons, and Mine Barons (and a few others). Exactly what is a railroad baron? I figure a cattle baron owns a sh*tload of cattle, or maybe just all of it... I figure a mine baron owns a mine - but if he can protect it he's prolly an evil Gene Hackman with a small army of goons. I just can't figure out what the Hell a Rail Baron is.

A rail baron has a monopoly on the local railroad.

So... he owns B&O, Pensylvania, Short Line and Reading? Dude, I'm real slow sometimes, use small words so I'm sure to get it.

Why exactly do I gotta pay him $200 extra dollars just to land on the space? Does he actually own the rails and the cars? Or is he providing the engineers that service and drive the train? Or the guards that protect it? Is he the only shipper or reciever? I mean, the cattle barons make sense, the oil barons, the whore barons, everything else jives with me, but I can't wrap my mind around a "railroad baron".

I just don't get it. There, I said it.

What? :joint:

j

The rail baron owns the railroad and thus makes all the money shipping the freight and passengers. Odds are, he also "owns" some of the towns along the way, and has the law in his pocket. If there is a working rail system in your PA world, and one guy owns/runs it, he's a rail baron. Watch The Quick and the Dead and you'll get the idea. Also watch Once Upon a Time in the West.

One face you might actually want to see in the post-apocalypse setting is the "traveling doctor". the archetype of this character would be the protagonist of the c lassic leslie Fish song "Blue Bread Mold".

the "traveling doc" goes from town to town and uses her knwoeldge, imrpvoisation and a little luck to tend the ills of those she visits. Her knwoel;dge includes the ability to make effective primtiive versions of modern drugs such as penicillin, asprin and the like, how to m ake effective painkillers out of what is at hand, and primitive srugery.

The basic idea of having characters like this in your post-apocalypse campaign is that the world may have gone to Hell ten times overe, but there is still at least a little bit of goodness left in humanity. That little bit, that tiny spark, may be the only thing saving those who have survivied the unthinkable from total, unbearable despair.

Guest Major Tom

If you want an example of the "(fill in the space) baron" character, take a

look at the Clint Eastwood movie Pale Rider. Richard Dysart's role as

the evil would-be mining baron is one of the more recent portrayals of this

sort of character.

I had the strangest thought when AMC was running Pale Rider recent-

ly. When they got to the part of the movie where Eastwood's character

started blowing up the mining baron's hydraulic mining operation, the thought

crossed my mind that he'd just become the Old West's first eco-terrorist.

Major Tom :bmk:

Asking the age-old question:

"Do you feel lucky? ...Well, do you, punk?"