Harrington Center: A multi-purpose public building

Trebuchet

Harrington Center is a multi-use building owned by the county government, and can be rented or used for such activities as concerts, plays, presentations, graduation ceremonies, dances, and wedding receptions. Originally built in 1985, the facility received a major expansion and facelift in 2004. It features a fully equipped stage, an excellent kitchen, and union trained staff.

The facility can seat 850 for shows; fewer for banquets and dances. Average size for most activities at Harrington Center is about 400 guests. Removable tables and chairs are stored in the basement of the building; two sets of stairs and a freight elevator facilitate moving these and other items.

A mirror-faced ultramodern style building, Harrington Center is situated on a low hill in the center of a large partially wooded park. The uncovered terrace is about 4 meters above ground level. The main hall is about 7 hexes high, with the top hex occupied by catwalks, lighting, and metal rafters; all painted matte black. The area above the stage is 12 hexes high to allow scenery to be raised and lowered. Two catwalks run the full length of the main hall and stage area, plus a half dozen catwalks run crosswise to allow access to lighting and follow spots. In the rear of the hall just above the center office is a small lighting and sound booth. Two ladders in the back corners of the stage allow access to the catwalks and roof hatch; a ladder in the main storage room at the rear of the hall allows additional access.

(I designed this setting for my Dark Champions game, but now that I've run the scenario I thought I'd post it for use by others. If anyone is really interested, I have plans for the basement level and for the catwalks as well. Special thanks to my good friend El Tripon, a theater arts major, for helping me design an authentic professional stage setup.)

Re: Harrington Center: A multi-purpose public building

Yeah... and the adventure was a lot of fun, too.

My character, Artemis, and the other PC, Raptor, spent a nerve-wracking night chasing ersatz Zorros all over Hudson City trying to keep them from causing all kinds of mischief - all culminating in an attempt to kill the Mayor, the Governor, Antonio Banderas (yeah, him ;) ...) at a fund-raiser held at the Harrington...

Publius: Thanks for the map with hexes. I was trying to figure out how I was going to do that for myself. This will save me from some stress and strain.

Treb: Can we see the maps for the other floors? It would be nice to have the whole building... I mean center. :D

Very nice.
Thank you. I can do nice layouts like this, I just details about the interior of buildings. The work that you and El Tripon did to provide that authentic detail is marvelous, preciely what I need to do good work. I did a Nova-class deckplan for Trek, but it is almost 95% guesswork, and uninformed guesswork at that.

One minor quibble: It's Harrington Center' date=' not Building. "Building" makes it sound like a skyscraper.[/Quote']Doh! I was flipping back and forth from screen to screen for the names of stuff and got some of them wrong. I caught most of it going over, like when I wrote "Main Ballroom" rather than "Main Hall", but I was concentrating more on the rooms than anything else. It will change for the next update.

BTW, on a similar vein, what is the room marked "R" next to the lounge storage area. I figured J is Janitor, T is ticket but I cannot figure an "R" other than restroom, which is right down the hall from there.

Publius: Thanks for the map with hexes. I was trying to figure out how I was going to do that for myself. This will save me from some stress and strain.
That was actually one of the reasons I decided to redo this with Illustrator. I have a grid pattern, I could also do it grid-less and change stuff like backgrounds etc.

Treb: Can we see the maps for the other floors? It would be nice to have the whole building... I mean center. :D
Rub it in man :nya: I have a neat pattern for catwalks and such that I want to try out here. I may have to mess with it a bit, but I have used it before and the overall effect is very nice.

BTW' date=' on a similar vein, what is the room marked "R" next to the lounge storage area. I figured J is Janitor, T is ticket but I cannot figure an "R" other than restroom, which is right down the hall from there.[/quote']"R" is the employee restroom. "E" is the freight elevator to the basement level.

On the catwalk level, the ladders in the upper left and lower right both lead up to roof access hatches.

I only drew the basement level because I was certain if I didn't my players would want to sneak through it. :)

L is ladder, I haven't been able to figure out "F" yet.

Oh, and I have a pdf of the Center which allows you to turn on and off the various sections of the map, the only problem is that it is a tad on the large side (1.8 meg or so, 1.4 when I zip it). I have here some of the gif versions... (of course with the pdf you can turn this stuff on and off layer by layer, as well as overlay the hex grid on everything). Still more or less a work in progress...

Since "F" is connected to the kitchen' date=' I'm going to figure it's Freezer.[/quote']Give that man a cigar! :thumbup:

Since I drew these entirely in MS Paint, I was limited to how small I could make the fonts and still have them be legible.