The Presumed Beginning Date of a Terran Empire Campaign?

Crimson-Hawk

First off, I just got Terran Empire in the mail today. (I finally broke down and ordered it and TUV from FRP Games despite my distaste for mail ordering, since I was having trouble making it to my FLGS to ask them to order them for me.) I must say, it's a GRAND piece of work and extremely crunchy and tasty. I love Andrew Cremens' artwork on the iconic members of the various races. I was pleasantly surprised to see Albert Deschesne's work in there. The plethora of packages are very, very useful. And now I understand many of the alien species alluded to in CU and CKC.

Which leads nicely into the actual question:

What is the presumed date of the racial discussions in Chapter Two of TE?

For instance, the discussion of the H'zeel indicates that an aborted attempt to conquer first Earth then the Perseid Empire failed miserably "600 years ago"... though it's not made clear when "600 years ago" actually occurred.

I'm assuming that the discussions presume a date towards the beginning of the Rebellion Wars era (circa 2669 A.D.). Then again, you know what they say about the word "assume," right? :D

Thanks, guys!

Originally posted by Hermit

Sadly, my own group is not in a sci fi genre mood, but they do like Aliens for Champions. How detailed are the 'official HERO Universe' races in TE? Do they have plenty of info on Malvans, Hzeel etc?

It all depends on the race, to be sure, Hermit. Most of the 27+ species get excellent (at least 750+ word) treatises. And this doesn't include some of the less-detailed races presented in the sidebars.

And, yes, if the race was mentioned in CU or CKC and the race is from the Milky Way galaxy (i.e. Perseids, Malvans, Hzeel, etc), they are detailed pretty well in TE.

Earth isn't aware of most of these races in the official timeline as of the CU era (and TE is quite clear as to which ones had a hand in Terran history). But that shouldn't stop an adventurous GM in a private game.

Heck, I think I would love to see a Fex speedster, or a Varanyi villain come down and kick Menton in the cerebral junk before trying to conquer Earth, or a Kalashari empath named Poker Face (those who've read TE will get that joke). :D

Me, personally?

It's a toss-up between the Fex and the Kalishari.

Yeah, the Malvans are kewl, and Andrew Cremens did a wonderful job illustrating their beauty, but they're mechanically and socially cheese-monkeys... they have the best technology of anyone in the game (as is their right, being the oldest race in the campaign). The only thing stopping them from going across the galaxy and stomping the stuffing out of every little thing in their path is their own sense of apathy. They really don't make good PCs.

The Fex are cat-people... and I have a soft spot for such characters. Dexterous, graceful, and perceptive, they're a perfect rogue or Han Solo-esque character. And they're part of the Terran Empire itself. Two pluses in their favor.

The Kalishari are just kewl in concept. It would be a roleplaying challenge to play a character who couldn't lie... because someone can just look at his skin and tell if he's lying or not! Plus, Andrew Cremens' iconic Kalishari just rocks! :D

Originally posted by Crimson-Hawk

The Fex are cat-people... and I have a soft spot for such characters. Dexterous, graceful, and perceptive, they're a perfect rogue or Han Solo-esque character. And they're part of the Terran Empire itself. Two pluses in their favor.

My current character is a Fex who is the second in command and engineer in the game. Fex are a lot of fun to play, and make for a lot of interesting situations. The quiet calm of the Fex makes it a lot of fun when the character decides to cut loose. :)

Originally posted by Hermit

Speaking of the Fex, Ben put one in the side bar rotating art :)

WOOT!

Yeah, I just saw it last night! Whoever's doing the coloring is doing a right bang-up job! :)

Originally posted by Monolith

My current character is a Fex who is the second in command and engineer in the game. Fex are a lot of fun to play, and make for a lot of interesting situations. The quiet calm of the Fex makes it a lot of fun when the character decides to cut loose. :)

Just like a real cat. Calm, cool, and collected, unless he wants to be rowdy and rambunctious! You just gotta love cats! ;)

• 3 weeks later...