Silence - character for critique

ghost-angel

I've yet to post a character for feedback, dunno why. But people around here are friendly and such and I'm used to scathing rhetoric on Usenet in my writing... so without further ado - a character for feedback and critique. The character has been played in one session so far and seemed to work ok. But I'm always open to ideas or just general comments.

[b]Silence[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [0]
18    DEX     24   18      13-       OCV 6 DCV 6
20    CON     20   20      13-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
18    INT     8   18      13-       PER Roll 13-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
20    PRE     10   20/40      13- / 17-       PRE Attack: 4d6 / 8d6
16    COM     3   16      12-
22    PD      0   22             22 PD (12 rPD)
18    ED      0   18             18 ED (8 rED)
5    SPD     22   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
7    REC     0   7
0    END     -20   0
28    STUN    0   28
6    RUN      0   6"                END [0]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [0]
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 80[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
31     [b][i]Sensemann[/i][/b]: Multipower, 62-point reserve,  (62 Active Points); all slots OAF: Personal (Sword; -1) - END=
2u     1)  [b][i]Dulled Edge[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF: Personal (Sword; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=0
3u     2)  [b][i]Keen Edge[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (3 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF: Personal (Sword; -1) - END=0
3u     3)  [b][i]Soul Edge[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF: Personal (Sword; -1) - END=0
3u     4)  [b][i]Harvester Blades[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 5d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (62 Active Points); OAF: Personal (Sword; -1) - END=0
3u     5)  [b][i]Soul Harvester Blades[/i][/b]: Ego Attack 4d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF: Personal (Sword; -1) - END=0
3u     6)  [b][i]Soul Fire[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF: Personal (Sword; -1) - END=0
35     [b][i]Psychopomp[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) - END=0
29     [b][i]Wings[/i][/b]: Flight 10", x4 Noncombat, No Turn Mode (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (44 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) - END=0
    Death is tough
7     1)  Mental Defense (10 points total)
30     2)  Armor (12 PD/8 ED)
10     3)  +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Limited Power Only Vs PRE Attacks (-1)
7     4)  +7 PD
6     5)  +6 ED
6     6)  Knockback Resistance -3"
5     7)  Power Defense (5 points)
    Death's Senses
13     1)  [b][i]Soul Sense[/i][/b]: Detect Soul 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze
3     2)  Detect The time of day (time to/from sunrise) 13- (no Sense Group)
5     3)  Nightvision
    Death is Tireless
7     1)  Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points) applied to STR
1     2)  Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (1 Active Points) applied to Leaping
6     3)  Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (6 Active Points) applied to Running
1     4)  Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (1 Active Points) applied to Swimming

[b]POWERS Cost: 219[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Art of the Blade
5      1)  Defensive Block:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort
4      2)  Martial Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike
5      3)  Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, Weapon +4 DC Strike
5      4)  Passing Strike:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Weapon  +v/5; FMove
4      5)  Counterstrike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike, Must Follow Block

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 23[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Acrobatics 13-
3      Breakfall 13-
6      +2 with Art of the Blade
3      Concealment 13-
0      Language:  German (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
2      Language:  English (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
3      Blade Powers 13-
3      Stealth 13-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 23[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Reputation:  Taker of Souls, Death's servant (A medium-sized group: Thos who know/know of Death) 14-, +1/+1d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 2[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
3      Perfect Rhythm

[b]TALENTS Cost: 3[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Distinctive Features:  wings/cloak (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10     Distinctive Features:  Carries a long sword-hilt, everywhere (Sensemann) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20     Hunted:  Greath Death 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
15     Hunted:  The Rosary 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
10     Money:  none Destitute
20     Physical Limitation:  Mute (Frequently, Fully Impairing)
25     Psychological Limitation:  Thou Shalt Not Kill (Very Common, Total)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Must obey the Great Death's commands (Uncommon, Total)
10     Social Limitation:  Unfamiliar with society (Frequently, Minor)
10     Social Limitation:  No ID, No Record (Occasionally, Major)
5     Dependent NPC:  Daniel 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 1
Exp Unspent: 1
Total Character Cost: 350

Background/History

She doesn't remember much before coming to this world, she knows she serves the Great Death and has been sent to the mortal realm. Whether as punishment, to serve a purpose, as a test or summoned by something else she is unsure. She knows the voice of the Great Death will guide her when required. She is unable to talk, and while she understands much of human nature she has never experienced modern human society up close and much of it confuses her. Currently her memory is a little shaky and she has no name to call herself.

One of her first encounters in this plane was with a young man named Daniel, whose life she saved from a few thugs looking for an easy mark. Daniel is a student specializing in Chemistry and Alchemy, recognizing her for what she is he took her in since she obviously had no home of her own.

She is unsure of the greater purpose she serves on this mortal plane. She is a Psychpomp, created after the battle of Vercellae in 101B.C. between the Romans and the Cimbri (a Germanic Tribe, now wiped out). She was one of the Cimbri. How she came to serve Death is between Her and Death. Her name has been lost completely to history.

Personality/Motivation

She is motivated only by the guiding voice of the Great Death and the needs it has for her. She seeks no money, no power and no fame. She knows two truths to be absolute - she must obey the Great Death, to not do so would incur his wrath. And she must never strike another living being dead by her own hand or cause a death by her actions. To do so would forfeit her soul to oblivion. Taking lives is reserved for Death alone. The undead and non-senitent automata are not subject to this rule, as the undead are offensive to the Great Death and non-sentient automata are not living things. She holds life sacred and is acutely aware of mortality, even if she herself is not mortal. At the same token, most of the time she will follow along out of curiosity if nothing else. She takes the very long view on things, little is of a pressing nature to her.

etched into her swords cross-guard is the phrase "Jede Minute ist ein kleiner Tod, der die Seele blutet." ("Each minute is a small death, which bleeds the soul.")

Tactics

She will use the most appropriate attack for the situation if she has to engage in a fight. She is more skilled in close in combat so will seem to prefer it. She will only ever use a lethal attack when facing the undead or non-living things. She will look to incapacitate the enemy at all times, or disengage if she cannot do so. She will never ever, under any circumstances or level of duress, kill a living being.

Appearance

She is always seen wearing a long black leather cloak, which is really her wings. Her 'collar' is a ridge that protects her neck, the edge of which is pierced at intervals with iron and steel rings. The back has a slight crease where it is attached to her back in the spaces between her shoulder blades and spine. The 'cloak' has no bones in it and flows around her body like clothe might. It is split about halfway down her back, when folded in the split is not apparent. It reaches down to just past her ankles. When fully extended as wings she has a twelve foot span.

She wears black leather boots with heavy soles that reach to her knees, soft black leather pants and metal capped knees pads. Her top is usally wrapped in a leather clothe that laces up the front, she cannot put on a normal shirt or top due to her wings. She wears thick black leather gauntlets with metal plating. Her sword, Sensemann, is always with her. The blade is only summoned forth when she intends to engage in a fight, otherwise the weapon is just the hilt which is almost two feet long from pommel to guard and extremely ornate.

She has green eyes and dark blonde hair that falls to her shoulders in soft waves.

Re: Silence - character for critique

Just speaking as a GM, I wouldn't permit a Mute PC. As an NPC she has potential; as a PC, she'd be frozen out of most of the game. No part in planning or debate, no part in investigation, no banter with PCs or NPCs. She doesn't even have Sign Language.

I guess she could write notes, but that kind of turns her into a comedy character.

Your GM will also have to be comfortable giving you orders from the Great Death, which means giving Him some screen time.

Combat-wise she looks solid enough, depending on the campaign.

Nice development; round character. All-in-all, nice job.

I have to agree with OddHat on the Muteness, however. I've tried it twice: my very first character back in '81 was a mute Martial Artist (back in the day of "MA means STRx1.5 punches and STRx2 kicks!). Other than that, the other players ejoyed him, but the muteness was so frustrating that the team mentalist horded EP to buy telepathy so I could quit writing notes (but I still had to whisper to him). And of course, any time we had to 'split up' either we were always together or we had to stop the session so I could whisper to him and he could relay to everyone else.....

I ended up hoarding EP to have his vocal cords repaired (ain't super-science grand?!)

Tried it again ten years later, in 91, with a different group. A mute Blaster. Less interesting character, so it was even harder to forgive. After two sessions, the GM requested that I 'retcon' the character, buying off the disad and taking negative EP to do so.

And two years ago, I dropped a mute Brick villain on my players. Not being able to banter (or interrogate, even!) with the villain actually offended the players.

I've learned my lesson, really. Mute makes a great concept, but it's one of those things: "Cool in the book; unworkable in the movie."

But other than that one sticking point, great character!

Duke

I disagree completly. I've played mute characters before and it works fine so long as you have some means of communication within the team. Highly body language and hand signs work for this. This is especially true if the other players are willing to spend a point or two to learn this language, which most enemies will not be able to understand...

If that's too major of a request of your fellow players, consider buying a telepathy or mindlink type power that represents that fact that, despite not being able to speak, the character still has the ability to be understood by anyone thanks to expressive body language or the like.

Once the character has SOME means of being understood, the player has every right to talk and contribute to the team except when circumstances might otherwise prevent it (complete darkness in the event of using sign language, for example).

Oddly, my comments are more to the build.

Buying your END down to 0 and buying everything at Zero End is a bad build. You spent more points than you gained. Plus you are now only able to push by taking STUN. If you don't push in your games, me I *never* do...just a thing I have, but if you do PUSH you are going to run into problems.

Also a Foci is not normally considered a Distinctive Features. Yes, you carry a sword hilt, and yes it can define you, but that is covered under the FOCI limitation.

I would buy Telepathy or something with the points you have remaining after scrapping the Tireless Death costs and mimicking the whole bolded black speech balloons common in the comics for creepy supernatural types.

Hawksmoor

Thnx for the feedback.

The Mute aspect .. definately interesting in play. I'll admit it was an experiment and I went ahead only after the GM approved it. The character was done for a side session with a small number of people. It worked pretty well all in all - but some of this may be me. I'm a very animated talker in RL, I use my hands (and whole body sometimes) and facial expressions as much as my voice, so continuing with that aspect I got a lot of ideas across with just how I looked and acted. And a notepad - doubles as note taking for the game which some of us do anyway so we found it didn't slow anything down noticeably.

I would never play this character in a group with more than 3-4 other players besides myself.

And our GM loves giving orders and now he's got a character he can just Tell Stuff To and they do it - he loves that part (I think I fed his ego a bit with this one...)

As for the 0END, I had the exact same thoughts there Hawksmoor. Pushing, possible cost effectiveness. Then I realized - I've never pushed. Not once. It's not common in our games at all, so that became a moot point. After that it became a cool idea, here is someone who, unless you beat them down, will not stop. It became a concept in the character at that point. (and I don't have to track END... :P )

This is, it turns out, a very expiremental character for me, and the group. I'm hoping I get another chance to play her soon.

Edit: The Focus & Disctinctive Feature: I don't count having a Focus as an automatic DF - what if you're Focus is not something you always carry? Adding the DF is, IMO, acceptable - unless you can put your Focus away - let's say a small object that's in your pocket almost all the time, it's not a DF of the character as they can always look like they don't have the focus on them. A large enough focus you can't put away that is always carried, now you can be identified by the fact that you have That Object on your person at all time, and they probably know exactly what it does too... hence a DF. some GMs may not allow it, I could understand that, mine did :)

I agree that the mute issue is there,,,but if you're not having problems then I guess its "OK"...personally my biggest problem with the character is it looks like you can't do much when your sword gets grabbed...I suggest you get some way to fight unarmed...an OAF should mean that it is an "issue" in every fight. So on those times when you sword gets snagged you should have a "plan B"....

Tiny nitpick - if your GM helps you along here, you're OK ... but you have a weakness.

You can't kill people.

Your only Stun-Only attack is the Ego Attack. It would be extremely easy to kill someone with 0 or 1 PD, 4 BODY, etc. A frail person. More generally, if you ever do BODY there is a chance that's all it takes. If you role-play using the Ego Attack all the time or grappling people then it'll never happen.

But having your character sheet ripped up by the Great Death because your GM put a normal in a super villian outfit or you have a traffic accident - ugh.

I really like the character! Your description and build is very cool.

I agree that the mute issue is there' date=',,but if you're not having problems then I guess its "OK"...personally my biggest problem with the character is it looks like you can't do much when your sword gets grabbed...I suggest you get some way to fight unarmed...an OAF should mean that it is an "issue" in every fight. So on those times when you sword gets snagged you should have a "plan B"....[/quote']

I keep coming back to that .. and it's a definite problem.

Overtime I may go to IIF and then dispense with the Focus completely. Or I may have to work in a secondary offensive capability. Perhaps the martial arts without the weapon as well...

Or I could bet on the fact that my GM forgets to attack focuses ..... (ok, it's a bad plan but the odds are in my favor on that one.)

Tiny nitpick - if your GM helps you along here, you're OK ... but you have a weakness.

You can't kill people.

Your only Stun-Only attack is the Ego Attack. It would be extremely easy to kill someone with 0 or 1 PD, 4 BODY, etc. A frail person. More generally, if you ever do BODY there is a chance that's all it takes. If you role-play using the Ego Attack all the time or grappling people then it'll never happen.

But having your character sheet ripped up by the Great Death because your GM put a normal in a super villian outfit or you have a traffic accident - ugh.

I really like the character! Your description and build is very cool.

That ... is actually one of my roleplaying challenges. I tend to come up with very amoral "rip you to shreds" characters. This is a big deviation for me - someone for whom killing in not an option. My character in our main game is an assassin and will always shoot to kill, I decided to go the other way.

But I have a few tricks in my favor .. the Soul Sense will allow me to determine if the person is "normal" or "meta" or "other" .. Aura's and Souls are integral to our campaign so different kinds of people look different, especially since I've bought it down to Analyze, it may take a few phases but I'll be able to guage the enemy and use an appropriate attack, or level of attack. There's nothing saying I can tone my EB way down to a couple of dice.

I may be insane, but I'm not entirely careless. :)

thanks for the compliment.

Hawksmoor sez:

Buying your END down to 0 and buying everything at Zero End is a bad build. You spent more points than you gained.

Well, buying everything ‘no end’ cost 26 points. The End buyback saved her 20, and that’s over and above the 350 base. So it’s not a bad trade off at all, if the GM allows it.

I was actually going to say it’s probably too GOOD, but in this case it’s acceptable. Martial artists never run out of end anyway, unless they have other powers on top, so it’s mostly a special effect.

Though it does mean all her sword attacks are ~84 active points, with martial arts on top of that, which might be above the campaign limits.

Wait. You already played her. So I guess it’s ok. :)

I’d make the Soulfire attack Does No Stun, so you have more than one ‘safe’ option if you need it. I’d drop the Harvester Blades, or make it a non-autofire AOE attack.

A bit weak vs energy projectors. While I applaud not giving in to the temptation to drop Missile Deflection into the multipower, you might want to swap Offensive Strike with Martial Dodge, or better yet just pick up a Defensive Skill level. Escape would be a good investment, as well.

In fact, you could probably drop or swap out Martial Strike as well. Death doesn’t need to start the fight, she ends it. :)

And I’d spend that XP on buying Use Art Barehanded. Even if you only ever use the Block, like a good swordswoman, it’ll be worth it.

As a GM, I’d be spectacularly harsh on a 25 pt code vs killing. But it seems you expect that, so that’s ok.

And I’d start saving immediately for Mind Link. :) Though, if I was the GM, you’d probably have to buy down the ‘mute’ disad once you got it. So you might want to squeeze in an extra 5 point disad somewhere for when it switches to ‘Infrequently, Fully.’

Even with the amnesia, a few more skills wouldn’t hurt. KS: Sword styles, KS: Dark Magic, KS: Undead and Demons, or Analyze Style at least. But then, I always take too many skills.

Just out of curiosity, why are the extra PD and ED in the powers section, instead of the stats block? (I’m assuming she has 10 PD/ED and the armor on top of that, otherwise I’m reading something wrong)

---

“Riding with Death through San Bernardino!â€

Hawksmoor sez:

Well, buying everything ‘no end’ cost 26 points. The End buyback saved her 20, and that’s over and above the 350 base. So it’s not a bad trade off at all, if the GM allows it.

I was actually going to say it’s probably too GOOD, but in this case it’s acceptable. Martial artists never run out of end anyway, unless they have other powers on top, so it’s mostly a special effect.

Though it does mean all her sword attacks are ~84 active points, with martial arts on top of that, which might be above the campaign limits.

Wait. You already played her. So I guess it’s ok. :)

I’d make the Soulfire attack Does No Stun, so you have more than one ‘safe’ option if you need it. I’d drop the Harvester Blades, or make it a non-autofire AOE attack.

A bit weak vs energy projectors. While I applaud not giving in to the temptation to drop Missile Deflection into the multipower, you might want to swap Offensive Strike with Martial Dodge, or better yet just pick up a Defensive Skill level. Escape would be a good investment, as well.

In fact, you could probably drop or swap out Martial Strike as well. Death doesn’t need to start the fight, she ends it. :)

And I’d spend that XP on buying Use Art Barehanded. Even if you only ever use the Block, like a good swordswoman, it’ll be worth it.

As a GM, I’d be spectacularly harsh on a 25 pt code vs killing. But it seems you expect that, so that’s ok.

And I’d start saving immediately for Mind Link. :) Though, if I was the GM, you’d probably have to buy down the ‘mute’ disad once you got it. So you might want to squeeze in an extra 5 point disad somewhere for when it switches to ‘Infrequently, Fully.’

Even with the amnesia, a few more skills wouldn’t hurt. KS: Sword styles, KS: Dark Magic, KS: Undead and Demons, or Analyze Style at least. But then, I always take too many skills.

Just out of curiosity, why are the extra PD and ED in the powers section, instead of the stats block? (I’m assuming she has 10 PD/ED and the armor on top of that, otherwise I’m reading something wrong)

---

“Riding with Death through San Bernardino!â€

Here I went and did tweak and you give me some great Martial Arts advice ... oi.

The tweak bought Empty Hand Element for the MA, that way I don't ONLY have the sword. So good call there.

The low skills is a bit bothersome - but that's because I'm normally a Skill Monkey. She's also 2000 years out of practice for a lot of her abilities, all a Psychopomp does is guide souls from the land of the living to the afterlife. If anything she needs a KS: Afterlife.... good idea!

I did swap out the Offensive Strike for a Martial Dodge, kept the Martial Strike though - she won't kill you but that doesn't mean she plays with kid gloves. Which brings me to the point where I noticed I had 2 KAs... for a 25pt CVK that's a no no.. so I chaned the Soul Edge to an EB: No Range, Affects Desol (I didn't want her STR affecting this as the blade touches the targets soul and her STR has no effect on that). I may go with STUN Only on the Soul Fire that way I can strike with everythig and not worry about.. yep. another good idea.

As for the extra PD/ED as a Power ... I have ... no idea. They just sort of ended up there. I don't think I even had a reason at the time other than I was in the Powers Tab in HD when I was adding her Defenses. eh. I'm too lazy to change it. And the Missile Deflection in a Multipower - ok, it would fight, I might get it with XP later if I ever find a need .. but it kinda smelled of cheese when I gave it a moments thought.

I owe everyone rep ... thnx, noticed some things I didnt before, solidified the character a little better, overall I think the changes improve what I have in mind.

Changes: I switched to an OIF on the sword to represent her skill in combat being so good it's hard to get a moment to disarm her. Which led to a mad scramble for some points (not a lot .. but some). Added an Empty Hand Element to the MA, reduced the NCFlight back to x2.

[b]Silence[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
7    REC     0   7
0    END     -20   0
28    STUN    0   28

[b]CHA Cost: 75[/b]

40     [b][i]Sensemann[/i][/b]: Multipower, 60-point reserve,  (60 Active Points); all slots OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=
3u     1)  [b][i]Dulled Edge[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
3u     2)  [b][i]Soul Edge[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 6d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
4u     3)  [b][i]Keen Edge[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (3 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
4u     4)  [b][i]Harvester Blades[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 4 1/2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (57 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
3u     5)  [b][i]Soul Harvester Blades[/i][/b]: Ego Attack 4d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) - END=0
4u     6)  [b][i]Soul Fire[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6, STUN Only (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
35     [b][i]Psychopomp[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) - END=0
23     [b][i]Wings[/i][/b]: Flight 10", No Turn Mode (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (35 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) - END=0
    Death is tough
7     1)  Mental Defense (10 points total) - END=0
30     2)  Armor (12 PD/8 ED) - END=0
7     4)  +7 PD
6     5)  +6 ED
6     6)  Knockback Resistance -3" - END=0
5     7)  Power Defense (5 points) - END=0
    Death's Senses
13     1)  [b][i]Soul Sense[/i][/b]: Detect Soul 12- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze
3     2)  Detect The time of day (time to/from sunrise) 12- (no Sense Group)
5     3)  Nightvision
    Death is Tireless

[b]POWERS Cost: 226[/b]

Art of the Blade
4      3)  Martial Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4      5)  Counterstrike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike, Must Follow Block
1      6)  Weapon Element:  Empty Hand

3      Acrobatics 13-
3      Breakfall 13-
3      Blade Powers 12-
3      Stealth 13-
2      KS: The Afterlife 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 22[/b]

2      Reputation:  Taker of Souls, Death's servant (A medium-sized group: Thos who know/know of Death) 14-, +1/+1d6

3      Perfect Rhythm

10     Distinctive Features:  wings/cloak (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10     Distinctive Features:  Carries a long sword-hilt, everywhere (Sensemann) (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Must obey the Great Death's commands (Uncommon, Total)

Exp Required: 1
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 351

again, thanks everyone. the character was a lot of fun to play in the one off, I'm hoping I get a chance to play the revision.

[i ran outta Rep for the day .. I'll get everyone I missed tomorrow..]

And because I write for people to read.. a bonus - the characters origin story:

--

Silence, "A Small Death", has no name currently, so those two designations will have to do. She re-entered this plane abruptly after over a two thousand year absence.

Silence was born around 125 B.C. as a member of the Cimbri Germanic tribe (history conflicts as to whether this was a Germanic or Celtic tribe, most place it as Germanic). She showed aptitude as a warrior early on, her swordplay skills being exceptional. At a young age she joined their ranks as they migrated south towards the Roman Empire. Her skill with the blade grew with each battle. She approached the art of war a cool calm that unnervered many opponents. In combat she always had a look of calm determination, no yelling or snarling or intimidating acts, at just under five and a half feet it would be hard to pull them off. This level of relaxed approach combined with her skill quickly moved her up the ranks of the Cimbri, she joined their elite warriors at a young age.

As she grew into womanhood she took interest in men, and many took interest in her. The one that caught her attention was a leader within the Teutoni tribe that had migrated south with the Cimbri. While they didn't travel together their paths crossed often enough. His name was Bodvar and he was a hero in his own right amongst both tribes.

By 103 B.C., at the battle of Aurasio, the Cimbri utterly destroyed two Roman Legions, killing 120,000 men. This was the largest defeat the Romans had suffered in a long time. As the Teutoni and Cimbri marched first towards Spain and then back the Romans prepared their defeat. Bodvar, seeing that they had finally cause the Romans to really notice them as a threat, forsaw both the Teutoni and the Cimbri's defeat. Behind the scenes he started to make alliances with the Romans.

In 102 B.C. The two tribes split to go around the Alps. The Teutoni went southward and were defeated and killed off by the Romans. It was Bodvar who helped this by assuring his own place amongst the Legions in return for information on the Teutoni and Cimbri.

It didn't take long for the news of the Teutoni defeat to reach the Cimbri, where Silence heard that her love was dead at the hands of the Romans. And she made a promise to avenge her lovers spirit and utterly defeat the Legions. When they engaged in battle she fought with demonic ferocity, taking the place of any ten warriors. The Cimbri defeated and drove back the Legions of Rome. After they wintered and resupplied they pressed southward again.

It was at Vercellae in 101 B.C. that everything fell apart for Silence. A full day before the battle with the oncoming Roman Legions Bodvar snuck into the Cimbri camp. He came soley for Her, thinking to take her with him. When she learned that he lived her heart opened with joy. When she then learned of his betrayal and wish for her to come with him to join the Romans her heart became cold. She ordered him out and gone, her soul had turned to cold stone. Bodvar left, he would have any number of Roman woman in his thoughts. For Her part she secluded herself from the tribe. They presumed her to be grieving her losses and preparing for the coming battle.

She sat for a time contemplating her fate. She had made a promise to the Gods and the Earth that she would avenge a death that did not occur. A death based on deceit and betrayal. And she contemplated all the death's by her hand under a false cause. And she called upon Death itself to make amends. And Death answered.

The exact bargain She made with Death is between her and Death, but she walked from her place of contemplation with two things, first was a sword unlike any seen in the world at the time. The second was that would no longer be with the world after tomorrow's battle. She had but one thing left to accomplish in this life, and that was the death of Bodvar.

Vercellae proved to be a resounding success for the Roman Legions. Silence fought with a skill never before seen, her blade cut through the ranks of the Romans as if they were not there. She had but one goal in mind. When she reached Bodvar on the battlefield her face was calm, her eyes showed no emotion. She simply cut him down without a word and turned from the fight. She was last seen by the Roman leaders standing at the center of the chaos that was the battle, sword point in the ground, one hand on the grip and the other at her side. She seemed to be waiting passively for its end and the living to leave the field. She went untouched through the day, as the sun fell and the war ended the Cimbri were defeated and destroyed. Those that were left saw Her standing there, a black shroud of shadows fell over her shoulders like a cloak and she faded from view.

Silence joined Death as a Psychopomp, her first task was to guide the thousands of souls lost at Vercellae to their resting place. Which she did. Death bequeathed the sword, Sensemann, to her in exchange for her voice. The black cloak became wings and she served him for the next two millenia.

--

Not particularly happy with it personally, but it's an origin story for a game involving a GM with "ADD; Reading things only."

Here I went and did tweak and you give me some great Martial Arts advice ... oi.

The tweak bought Empty Hand Element for the MA, that way I don't ONLY have the sword. So good call there.

The low skills is a bit bothersome - but that's because I'm normally a Skill Monkey. She's also 2000 years out of practice for a lot of her abilities, all a Psychopomp does is guide souls from the land of the living to the afterlife. If anything she needs a KS: Afterlife.... good idea!

I did swap out the Offensive Strike for a Martial Dodge, kept the Martial Strike though - she won't kill you but that doesn't mean she plays with kid gloves. Which brings me to the point where I noticed I had 2 KAs... for a 25pt CVK that's a no no.. so I chaned the Soul Edge to an EB: No Range, Affects Desol (I didn't want her STR affecting this as the blade touches the targets soul and her STR has no effect on that). I may go with STUN Only on the Soul Fire that way I can strike with everythig and not worry about.. yep. another good idea.

As for the extra PD/ED as a Power ... I have ... no idea. They just sort of ended up there. I don't think I even had a reason at the time other than I was in the Powers Tab in HD when I was adding her Defenses. eh. I'm too lazy to change it. And the Missile Deflection in a Multipower - ok, it would fight, I might get it with XP later if I ever find a need .. but it kinda smelled of cheese when I gave it a moments thought.

I owe everyone rep ... thnx, noticed some things I didnt before, solidified the character a little better, overall I think the changes improve what I have in mind.

Changes: I switched to an OIF on the sword to represent her skill in combat being so good it's hard to get a moment to disarm her. Which led to a mad scramble for some points (not a lot .. but some). Added an Empty Hand Element to the MA, reduced the NCFlight back to x2.

[b]Silence[/b]

13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
7    REC     0   7
0    END     -20   0
28    STUN    0   28

[b]CHA Cost: 75[/b]

40     [b][i]Sensemann[/i][/b]: Multipower, 60-point reserve,  (60 Active Points); all slots OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=
3u     1)  [b][i]Dulled Edge[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
3u     2)  [b][i]Soul Edge[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 6d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
4u     3)  [b][i]Keen Edge[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (3 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
4u     4)  [b][i]Harvester Blades[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 4 1/2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (57 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
3u     5)  [b][i]Soul Harvester Blades[/i][/b]: Ego Attack 4d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) - END=0
4u     6)  [b][i]Soul Fire[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6, STUN Only (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (Sword; -1/2) - END=0
23     [b][i]Wings[/i][/b]: Flight 10", No Turn Mode (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (35 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) - END=0
    Death is tough
7     1)  Mental Defense (10 points total) - END=0
30     2)  Armor (12 PD/8 ED) - END=0
7     4)  +7 PD
6     5)  +6 ED
6     6)  Knockback Resistance -3" - END=0
5     7)  Power Defense (5 points) - END=0
    Death's Senses
13     1)  [b][i]Soul Sense[/i][/b]: Detect Soul 12- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze
3     2)  Detect The time of day (time to/from sunrise) 12- (no Sense Group)
5     3)  Nightvision
    Death is Tireless

[b]POWERS Cost: 226[/b]

Art of the Blade
4      3)  Martial Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
1      6)  Weapon Element:  Empty Hand

3      Acrobatics 13-
3      Breakfall 13-
3      Blade Powers 12-
3      Stealth 13-
2      KS: The Afterlife 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 22[/b]

3      Perfect Rhythm

Exp Required: 1
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 351

again, thanks everyone. the character was a lot of fun to play in the one off, I'm hoping I get a chance to play the revision.

Looks better....I'd have lowered the size of the Multi and spent the points on DC's with the MA for a better plan "B"...but EXP can help boost you unarmed fighting....with the NO kill code Aikido type MA's seem promising for the future...:)

Looks better....I'd have lowered the size of the Multi and spent the points on DC's with the MA for a better plan "B"...but EXP can help boost you unarmed fighting....with the NO kill code Aikido type MA's seem promising for the future...:)

yeah, I plan on placing about 1/3 of my overall experience into combat (CSLs, other Martial Meneuvers, etc..) for a bit.

Combat can take up less than half of our game time, and we've gone entire sessions without a single die roll, so it's moderately low on the list of things any of our characters needs in this game. So I'm not terrible worried.

Of course my original build spanked all the other PCs so I may yet lower the Multi if it proves to be too high again. Yeah, the very first thing my character does is get ordered to attack the group of PCs. I utterly decimated them as they were not expecting it at all... I don't think I could do it twice but I earned a reputation that night... high dmg rolls helped, but still... it was ugly.