How HERO helped me at work!

Jkeown

This week, we had our 40th Anniversary, celebrating it by having a big "Convention-like" show catered by Subway with Smead, Sanford, 3M and all the other big office products manufacturers supplying prizes and stuff. One way to get prizes was to win in a trivia contest that I had to MC. About 500 customers showed up.

I've never ran a game for "mundanes" before, let alone 500 of them. I didn't prepare one single joke or routine. I just just waited for my first round of contestants and found myself in Game Master Mode.

Turns out, the improv skills one learns in Fantasy Hero can be used in social situations. Who knew? 22 years I've been GMing, and never tried to apply that skill in public. It will not be the last.

A woman from a local TV station was in the audience. Right there in the middle of the show, I asked her for a job. She laughed and said she'd look into a gig for me.

And I'll owe it all to HERO if it comes true!

Re: How HERO helped me at work!

You don't know how useful I find it to use my best Darth Vader imitation in my job.

"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral. Captain Piett... You are in command now, Admiral Piett."

In fact, I'm thinking of being Darth Vader for Halloween. I'm even thinking of including a couple of speakers playing the Imperial March. :)

(Dang, now I want to watch The Empire Strikes Back, but it's getting too late) :(

I've never had a problem with public speaking, but I have noticed that my GM practice makes me much better at speaking and running a meeting than I would otherwise be. Something about having to handle a bunch of people clamoring for attention and maintaining fairness and event flow all at the same time.

I've also noticed that Hero system experience has come in damn useful in legal situations too. After years of perusing the rules looking at ways that certain powers/rules can be exploited, it was a cinch to apply the same reasoning to legal contracts.

So much so, that I've become the "Go To Guy" on how to break biotech patents and routinely consult with our legal group on tactics. Powergaming for the real world!

cheers, Mark