Halo Hero

greymankle

Well more specifically trying to simulate the recovering Force Field effect. A piece of equipment that generates a force field. This force field gets weakened after each hit fairly quickly, but can be recharged by staying out of the line of fire for a little bit.

I am thinking Abalative, maybe 'Resets with a recovery, in a phase you haven't taken a hit"

I have never built Hero equipment before. If there a better way to build this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Halo Hero

There are some funky things you can do with Ablative to simulate the slow weakening of a FF, but I'm not sure about the recharge aspect of it.

Of course, for most "shields" with that SFX, FF isn't an applicable Power. What you need is extra STUN and BODY, and some Regeneration and REC that only affect the extras. After all, what these shields are doing is taking the damage for you, not stopping it altogether.

Hi im new to the boards but not to halo, and iv read a few hero books but still full of questions, however I may have an answer for once.

the MC's(Master Chief-spartan suit) is part of a sort of power armor.....So though i dont have my books with me now I do remember that in STAR hero there was mention of a force field option for use with ablative and activation roll force fields for starcraft. basicly a repair check on an ablative or activation roll field could be brought back up with a repair roll on the mechanics phase.

MC isnt a ship, but his suit is probably computer regulated, especially thar force field of his, so you could buy a medium speed COMPUTER with the repair skills and a single program to repair shields when they take a hit. this will simulate the time it takes for a recharge (computers consistant speed) and free your character up to take his individual actions. Just build the computer cheep and limited in options unless its a heroic level game where you dont spend charactr points for it, then you may just go ahead and build Courtana herself and let her do the work.

thats my 2 cents knowing what i know about the GAME halo.

off the top of my head...

Force Field/Armor, 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; +1/4); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2)

Or an Ablative Force Field/Armor with a seperate Healing power for it. Alternatly I suppose you could use Aid, only to restore to starting values...

Personally, Entangle looks to me to be a lot better for MC's shields than Force Shield. Sure, Entangles are suppose to be an attack power, but they have BODY, which means they can regenerate in a fashion more appropriate to Master Chief.

Energy Shields:

Entangle, 4d6 BODY, 6 rPD, 2 rED (averages out to 4 DEF), 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points), Standard Effect (-0), Entangle Does Not Restrict Movement Or Defense (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Extra Time: Full Turn (-1 1/4)

Real Cost: 21

It makes the Shields regenerate every Turn, have hit points and be particularly good at defending against bullets but not plasma.

Adjust Numbers and add advantages accordingly.

Force Field (20 PDr/ 20 EDr), Force Field drops by 4 PDr / 4 EDr any time it is hit (-1/2), Force Field Restores 4 PDr / 4 EDr every phase that passes without being hit (-1/4).

I'm down with something like this. Make up your own Limitation and Value... trying to keep it simple and linear.

At a level like a more low level sci-fi game, a 12/12 Force Field... lose 2/2 every hit... gain back 1/1 every round not hit... Higher level games might go with SS's suggestion above... larger FF numbers and more lost in one hit, more gained back, etc.

I think you'll have to play around with the numbers to find what works well for your campaign.

Also... for equipment purposes... the limitation values and overall costs don't matter. Good for estimating power level... but since equipment is a non-points thing... the effect you want is more important than how much it costs.

As to the Body/Stun suggestion up above... for a literal translation of what most "armor" does in video games... this is true. I just think it would be a lot of book keeping and slow play down. A more linear, simple... lose 2/2 every hit... is much easier to track in play.

SirViss: nice linkage. That does seem about the level I was thinking. I don't know how cumbersome all that book-keeping would be though. Need to play it out and see.

These fields will be in-play pretty regularly, so something fast-ish and loose-ish would be preferred.

Super Squrriel's idea I like, the only caveat would be something involveing the force it is hit. By that model: constant thrown rocks will drop a field faster then sparatic gun fire. Though, then you get into more book-keeping... hmm.

What about using the DC of the attack? Shield drops 1/1 per DC of the attack that hit it. recovers 2/2 on any phase not hit. Again the numbers could be played with. Using the DC would make the drop pretty constant within a given battle, without having to wait for the damage to be rolled.

Being gamers, I can see using a die to keep track of the up and down defenses. Similar to a life total in Magic.

Thank you all for posting. Any other thoughts? Or comments? I can forsee some wonderful dynamic fights occuring if I get this right, hopefully it works out.

There are some funky things you can do with Ablative to simulate the slow weakening of a FF, but I'm not sure about the recharge aspect of it.

Of course, for most "shields" with that SFX, FF isn't an applicable Power. What you need is extra STUN and BODY, and some Regeneration and REC that only affect the extras. After all, what these shields are doing is taking the damage for you, not stopping it altogether.

Hmm.

60 Stun Nonpersistent OIF FF generator has to use own REC (-1) 30

and 20 Body Nonpersistent, no figured OIF FF generator has to use own regen(-1 1/2) 16

2 Regeneration and 6 REC (only for FF, say -1/2) and OIF FF generator 13

and, say 6pd 6ed armour nonpersistent OIF FF generator (-3/4) 10

Costs out at 69 points so it is quite expensive. While it is up you get 6 resistant defence to physical and energy and then a pretty huge buffer against taking Stun or BODY directly. That buffer recovers over time, albeit quite slowly. The advantage of this is that it provised defence against ANYTHING that does Stun or BODY damage - NNDs, AVLDs, drains - anything.

You can probably work out some linkage and other limits to bring the cost down more.

SirViss: nice linkage. That does seem about the level I was thinking. I don't know how cumbersome all that book-keeping would be though. Need to play it out and see.

These fields will be in-play pretty regularly, so something fast-ish and loose-ish would be preferred.

Super Squrriel's idea I like, the only caveat would be something involveing the force it is hit. By that model: constant thrown rocks will drop a field faster then sparatic gun fire. Though, then you get into more book-keeping... hmm.

What about using the DC of the attack? Shield drops 1/1 per DC of the attack that hit it. recovers 2/2 on any phase not hit. Again the numbers could be played with. Using the DC would make the drop pretty constant within a given battle, without having to wait for the damage to be rolled.

Being gamers, I can see using a die to keep track of the up and down defenses. Similar to a life total in Magic.

Thank you all for posting. Any other thoughts? Or comments? I can forsee some wonderful dynamic fights occuring if I get this right, hopefully it works out.

Or maybe... to keep it simple... flat "loss of X/X" but only on attacks "at least of DC X or greater" to avoid the "poke... quit it... poke... quit it... poke... quit it" kind of scenario.

As to the Body/Stun suggestion up above... for a literal translation of what most "armor" does in video games... this is true. I just think it would be a lot of book keeping and slow play down. A more linear' date=' simple... lose 2/2 every hit... is much easier to track in play.[/quote']

I wasn't really thinking of video games, but of Star Trek. A lot of times, their shields hold, and no damage is done to the ship. Only when the shields completely fail does the ship take damage, and the shield only fail after being pummled for a while. Granted, there are exceptions to this, as any massive impact to the shields is likely to jar the ship some, but the damage is negligable and mostly cosmetic (doesn't hamper the ship or crew in any way).

To me, that sounds like extra BODY that gets wasted away instead of the ship's BODY.

In the Digital Hero E-zine issue #10' date=' there is an article about Force Field optional modifiers. You don't even have to get DH to read it though, since it is one of the free samples found here.

Look up the "Regenerating Shield" limitation. I think it is pretty close to what you want. :thumbup:

Hope this helps!

That was a cool article. As an aside, I should hope that isn't the only interpretation of Area of Effect on Force Field. I can certainly imagine a character who generates a field that wraps all characters around him with a bubble (giving anyone in the area personal defenses rather than becoming a Force Wall type effect like in the article).

But I guess we're slowly moving away from multiple interpretations of such constructs aren't we? (Come back, 4E!) :(

I wasn't really thinking of video games, but of Star Trek. A lot of times, their shields hold, and no damage is done to the ship. Only when the shields completely fail does the ship take damage, and the shield only fail after being pummled for a while. Granted, there are exceptions to this, as any massive impact to the shields is likely to jar the ship some, but the damage is negligable and mostly cosmetic (doesn't hamper the ship or crew in any way).

To me, that sounds like extra BODY that gets wasted away instead of the ship's BODY.

Hmm. Or some kind of applicatoin of both Ablative and Regenerating Shields.... :think:

Hmm.

and 20 Body Nonpersistent, no figured OIF FF generator has to use own regen(-1 1/2) 16

Costs out at 69 points so it is quite expensive. While it is up you get 6 resistant defence to physical and energy and then a pretty huge buffer against taking Stun or BODY directly. That buffer recovers over time, albeit quite slowly. The advantage of this is that it provised defence against ANYTHING that does Stun or BODY damage - NNDs, AVLDs, drains - anything.

You can probably work out some linkage and other limits to bring the cost down more.

About the only kink I can find in it is when the character gets Stunned. Technically, even though the SFX says the shield took the hit and the character is unharmed, the rules say he's Stunned and is at 1/2 DCV and all nonpersistant powers turn off at the end of the Phase. Shields don't sound like that to me. Personally, I'd just hand-wave it and say the shield's STUN counts as a defense, and only damage over and above what's left counts for being Stunned. A more strict GM probably wouldn't though.

Looking back, I am liking the custom limitation for FF (lose 4/4 each hit...).

Eurika!

Ablative and Regenerating... all in one Power. All you need is Side Effects!

Using the FF model of Super Squirrel's above.

Energy Shield: FF 20 PD/ 20 ED, Side Effects (suffers 2d6 Drain FF on each successful attack the FF affects, -1/2).

Poof! It's done. Adjucating that because it's a Side Effect, the damage isn't halved versus a Defense Power, you'd lose 6 AP per hit (standard effect) and because it's a Drain, you'd regain 5 AP per Turn.

Alternately, you could say that the effect of the Drain is still halved, but in that case, I'd only allow the 5 AP recovery during Turns the shields didn't take any damage.

Eurika!

Ablative and Regenerating... all in one Power. All you need is Side Effects!

Using the FF model of Super Squirrel's above.

Energy Shield: FF 20 PD/ 20 ED, Side Effects (suffers 2d6 Drain FF on each successful attack the FF affects, -1/2).

Poof! It's done. Adjucating that because it's a Side Effect, the damage isn't halved versus a Defense Power, you'd lose 6 AP per hit (standard effect) and because it's a Drain, you'd regain 5 AP per Turn.

Alternately, you could say that the effect of the Drain is still halved, but in that case, I'd only allow the 5 AP recovery during Turns the shields didn't take any damage.

Perwhoo? Hmm. Yeah. That's interesting. I kinda like it. :think:

About the only kink I can find in it is when the character gets Stunned. Technically, even though the SFX says the shield took the hit and the character is unharmed, the rules say he's Stunned and is at 1/2 DCV and all nonpersistant powers turn off at the end of the Phase. Shields don't sound like that to me. Personally, I'd just hand-wave it and say the shield's STUN counts as a defense, and only damage over and above what's left counts for being Stunned. A more strict GM probably wouldn't though.

Looking back, I am liking the custom limitation for FF (lose 4/4 each hit...).

Good point. In the absence of kludges, I may have to re-apprise my approach....

Bit nascent, but I'm wondering if we coun't use damage reduction in there somewhere...or...

Here's an idea: Side Effect: damage taken acts like an equivalent number of points of drain on the force field, (-1) (or half that for -1/2)

SO, your 20 pd force field gets hit with a 30 stun punch. It stops 20 points, so it takes a 20 point drain: it is a defence so that drops the shield by 10 points. The shield recovers at 5 points each PS12. At the -1/2 level, a hit that did at least 20 stun would drop the defence by 5 points.

Might work, you never know.

Here's an idea: Side Effect...

He he he.

Actually, I kinda like your method of determing the value of the Drain, as it takes into account the force of the impact. If the FF only stopped 10 points of effect, it shouldn't take the same impact as if it has stopped 20.

Regardless of how you do it, you'll still run the risk if killing the target before his shields go down (which I just don't see happening in the source material).

Hmm.

That's the way I would do it, as the recovery factor is built into the rules already.

Regardless of how you do it' date=' you'll still run the risk if killing the target before his shields go down (which I just don't see happening in the source material).[/quote']

Maybe not if there are additional defenses underneath, and it takes reducing our, "ablative," defenses to a pretty low level to be able to get through all the defenses (at least with enough damage to be really noticable).

Maybe not if there are additional defenses underneath' date=' and it takes reducing our, "ablative," defenses to a pretty low level to be able to get through all the defenses (at [i']least[/i] with enough damage to be really noticable).

True, but putting extra defenses underneath isn't a fix. It should all be part of the shields.

Then again, I suppose you could by a second FF, defined as the impact threshhold, and link it to the "ablative" FF. That way, you've always got some solid DEF up, but once the shields fail, it all goes down.