The Kandris Seal

MitchellS

Re: The Kandris Seal

And very well worth the money IMHO. TKS is a very good example of a focussed super-mage campaign, complete enough to be run on its own with the 5E rulebook, but also easily integrated into a broader supers setting. Plenty of NPCs, prebuilt spells and artifacts, all written using orthodox HERO System. You'll find lots of samples from the book on the website of its publisher, Hartfelt Productions.

I'm assuming the RPGNow sale is for a download? Because it's also available on CD here in the Hero Games Online Store, in the "Licenses" section.

I second the recommendation. I bought Kandris Seal when it first came out and enjoyed it thoroughly. If you like the old Dr. Strange comics (I haven't read any Dr. Strange in well over a decade, so I can't vouch for anything newer), you'll enjoy Kandris Seal. It's got loads of fully-statted NPCs and is pretty much good to go for starting a super-mage style campaign. $7.50 is a great price for the PDF because it really does contain a lot of "meat" for your campaign.

I remember playing in a PBEM run by either Chris or Lisa Hartjes (whichever ran it' date=' the other was in it). It was darn good writing then. I might have to check out the PDF in spite of not playing supermage games very often.[/quote']

I should have elaborated on this point, but TKS actually has pretty good value for non-supers campaigns as well. You could certainly run heroic-level characters with it; there's an organization included, the Dragon Hunters, that's an ideal setup for heroic monster-hunting or occult investigation campaigns, or even mystically flavored "super agents." The settings detailed in the book would be great for pulp-era games, especially with Lovecraftian horror. The NPCs and magic would be easy to adapt to fantasy campaigns. There are even spacefaring, magic using races you could introduce to a sci-fi setting.

I second the recommendation. I greatly enjoyed the Kandris Seal. I bought it when it first came out. I have used it ever since in my campaign as part of the mystical history of it. Using the organizations and several the characters as proven to be very good and fun for my group.

Hello everyone. I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments about The Kandris Seal.

Someone asked about the book for sale at RPGNow. Yes, it is a download. I'm slowly in the process of updating the current manuscript to correct errors, and adding some new material. When that is completed, I'll release it as a revised edition, and it will be available in hard copy. The specific details for how it will be printed haven't been determined yet, though.

Someone else commented on the old pbem game. I was the one who ran it, and I was using it as a testing ground for some of the ideas for the book.

If I do say so myself, Lord Liaden is correct about the versatility of TKS as a campaign sourcebook. I put a lot of effort into the creation of it to make it as versatile as possible. A science fiction campaign is easy to do, as there are two alien races detailed in the book. Looking for a medieval fantasy setting? The PC's can be involved in the earliest battles against the Keepers of the Broken Circle. Want Pulp? There's a lot of opportunities for that too. In fact, there's a short section in the book with ideas of how to use TKS in just about any genre.

TKS is presented as a super-heroic setting, but there is more than enough information in there to allow for campaigns at different power levels. As Lord Liaden mentioned, the Dragon Hunters are ideal to use as a heroic level campaign. Looking for a really high powered campaign? There are full stats for all of the Keepers of the Broken Circle, so your PC's can try to go toe to toe with the Big Bad Guys.

I will have to admit that I made a mistake when I released TKS. I didn't create any supporting material. That will be changing upon the release of the revised edition of TKS. If there's an interest (and I can get approval from the powers that be), I will be publishing other books for the setting. More detailed books about the organizations, adventures, and possibly genre books (i.e. a book with specific information for the TKS setting for a Pulp game).

That being said, the sale I have on TKS over at RPGNow.com is ending on Friday, October 7th. Don't fret if you're not going to be able to take advantage of the sale. I've made up a special coupon that will let you buy the pdf at the sale price of $7.50 until October 31st.

I'd also like to announce that anyone who purchases TKS (or purchased it in the past) through RPGNow.com and leaves a detailed set of comments (good or bad) about the book is eligible to win a number of prizes through the Consumer Rewards Program Hart-Felt Productions is participating in. You can learn more about the program by visiting the Hart-Felt Productions website.

There's no button to buy it :(

A button where, at the HFP website, or as a result of the coupon?

I just checked the coupon, and it takes you directly to the shopping cart so you can purchase the pdf immediately. I also just checked out my website, and it appears the button is broken. I'm working on fixing that right now.

A button where, at the HFP website, or as a result of the coupon?

I just checked the coupon, and it takes you directly to the shopping cart so you can purchase the pdf immediately. I also just checked out my website, and it appears the button is broken. I'm working on fixing that right now.

Aah...I went straight to RPGnow. The coupon works fine.

Okay. The button on the HFP website page for The Kandris Seal works.

Be aware that if you go to the HFP page, and then go to buy TKS from the "Buy Here" button, you will not get the coupon price. If you want to use the coupon, you'll need to use the link above.

I will have to admit that I made a mistake when I released TKS. I didn't create any supporting material. That will be changing upon the release of the revised edition of TKS. If there's an interest (and I can get approval from the powers that be)' date=' I will be publishing other books for the setting. More detailed books about the organizations, adventures, and possibly genre books (i.e. a book with specific information for the TKS setting for a Pulp game).[/quote']

Please do publish other books for the setting once you get the revised version released (assuming you can secure Hero Games' permission)! I would very much like to see you expand on the setting. I would especially like to see you expand on some of the organizations in the setting, as well as a complete campaign.

Please do publish other books for the setting once you get the revised version released (assuming you can secure Hero Games' permission)! I would very much like to see you expand on the setting. I would especially like to see you expand on some of the organizations in the setting' date=' as well as a complete campaign.[/quote']

Which organizations are you most interested in, and what would you like to see in a campaign book?