Chronic Death Syndrome

Zeropoint

In the anime series Excel Saga, the character Hyatt Akatsugi has a medical condition which, in addition to making her weak and generally sickly, causes her to die frequently. However, she seems to "wake up" after some rest and be as good as new (which isn't all that great). Unlike Excel, who is frequently killed, and then restored by the Great Will of the Macrocosm editing the timeline so that she wasn't, Hyatt actually dies and comes back.

How would this be modeled? My initial take, given the comedic nature of the universe, is to just make it a physical limitation, Frequently, Fully Impairing (you can't get much more impaired than "dead").

The general sickliness would, I think, best be modeled by giving her a low BODY and lower CON, and maybe Susceptibility: Pretty Much Everything.

Of course, I realize that Excel Saga is not the best place to be trying to apply rational thought structure.

Zeropoint

Re: Chronic Death Syndrome

Okay...

So, does she need to be killed to die, or does she just up and die occastionally and then gets better? If she must be killed, that's a simple Resurrection Healing Regen. If she just up and dies at random, sounds like Simulate Death with NCC.

She dies all on her own. She's got like, no immune system, and virtually no energy. The only reason she's lasted this long is that she's cute, and it's funny.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a lovely brunette singing an opening song while succumbing to Tuberculosis?

So, does she need to be killed to die, or does she just up and die occastionally and then gets better? If she must be killed, that's a simple Resurrection Healing Regen. If she just up and dies at random, sounds like Simulate Death with NCC.

I think we have a winner. It's a little weird to PAY for something that's a problem for the character, though. Eh, at least it's cheap.

Of course, I realize that Excel Saga is not the best place to be trying to apply rational thought structure.

Zeropoint

Yeah .. this is it - there's no rational thought in that series. Hell, there isn't even irrational thought in the series.

Apply both the Simulate Death; NCC and Physical Limitation: Dies, A Lot. because it really is a disadvantage to cough up some blood and gack. Even if it is only for a short period. At the very least it's a social limitation.

I think we have a winner. It's a little weird to PAY for something that's a problem for the character' date=' though. Eh, at least it's cheap.[/quote']

Then don't. After all, if you take a Susceptibility for a character, you don't buy "EB 3d6 No Range, NND, Only vs. Self, Trigger: [substance or situation], Trigger automatically resets", do you? No, you buy Susceptibility and define the conditions that cause it and how severe it is.

Just buy the Physical Limitation and then define the effect as Simulate Death, NCC.

She dies all on her own. She's got like, no immune system, and virtually no energy. The only reason she's lasted this long is that she's cute, and it's funny.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a lovely brunette singing an opening song while succumbing to Tuberculosis?

My bonnie had tuberculosis,

My bonnie is missing one lung;

My bonnie can cough up an oyster

And roll it around on her tongue.

:D

As often as her life slips away from her, I don't think that Clinging would be appropriate.

Perhaps Missile Deflection? ("Permanent" death just seems to get bounced away...)

Damn it! There you go trying to make semi-sense. The whole point was that it didn't have to adhere to even irrational standards! :P

Excel's ressurections have to be bought with a triggered Summon as she doesn't come back on her own.

As for Hyatt, I would buy her with a Dependence that costs her BODY and and a regen that only brings her back from death. What she's dependent on, I have no idea, though Excel did make the mistake of trying to take Hyatt's medicine once, I think.