having problems with my 1st attempt at a multipower

Badger

My first attempt at a multipower. Using Hero designer. Basically trying to create a blaster with settings of stun and kill.

Here is what I have:

Cost: 21 Blaster 45 point reserve

64 Charges (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (O END, +1/2) (90 Active Points) OAF (-1) Independent (-2) Real Weapon (-1/4)

4u) "set to kill"- RKA-3d6 (45 AP) END4

4u) "set to stun"- EB-9d6- Stun only (45 AP) END 4

I need to take away the Endurance on each slot. But I have to add Reduced Endurance on both which raises their cost to 67 AP. So should I do that and raise the multipower to a 67 point reserve? I know I am missing something. First time I have done a multipower on my own and I am trying to figure out what I am doing. I know their is something I am missing/dont understand.:o

Re: having problems with my 1st attempt at a multipower

Well, it *used* to be that if you took charges, you got costs-no-endurance for free. That's old (198*mumble*) rules, things may have changed. Check the description of "charges" carefully, it may say that zero endurance cost is included.

The rest appears to be added up correctly, but...

OAF

...someone could take this away from you easily...

Independent

...and use it on YOU (eek!)...

Real Weapon

...which is pretty much what a real weapon is anyway!

If I was GM, I'd disallow it because it weakens your character too much. I guess it depends on the genre and power level too (Dark Champions?), but this isn't superheroey to me. Speedsters, mentalists with TK, stetchy guys, ninja mooks with throwing weapons, are all gonna take this away from you the second you whip it out. There's too many Lims on it, the GM *has* to take it away.

Up to you and your GM in the end, of course.

Almost missed this:

If you take a lim on the multipower reserve, and that lim also applies to ALL of the multipower slots, then the slots get the lim as well.

In short, your slots have 0 END and only cost 2 points each, not 4. They also only have 64 charges, are OAF, Independent, and a Real Weapon, but that's probably what you intended. :D

Or that's the way it *used* to be... :)

Charges are automatically 0 END unless you put the Limitation Costs END -½ on them, which wouldn't make much sense for a self-contained Independent weapon such as a blaster. The primary reason to use Charges in the first place is because they don't cost END.

If you think that's confusing, wait till you start playing around with Clips of Charges. :idjit:

Try this...

Variable Output Blaster:

33 Multipower - 67 points, OAF - Blaster (-1), Must recharge after X (64?) shots (-0)

3u) Killing Beam - 3d6 RKA, 0 END (+1/2)

3u) Stunning Beam - 9d6 EB, 0 END (+1/2), Stun Only

Total Cost: 39 points

For fun, here are a few more slots you can add with additional experience:

2u) Focused Killing Beam - 3d6 RKA, AP (+1/2), 4 charges (-1)

3u) Concussion Beam - 9d6 EB (versus PD), 0 END (+1/2)

2u) Improved Concussion Beam - 7d6 EB (versus PD), Double Knockback (+3/4), 4 charges (-1)

3u) Neural Disruptor - 5d6 EB, NND (not versus Force Field, +1), 0 END (+1/2)

More to the point with Independent, once you lose the weapon, it's gone forever, and you never get the CP back. That might be ok for small cheap magic items in FH games but generally isn't very appropriate for a supers game -- especially if you spend a lot of points on it.

As for real weapons, I prefer to reserve that for things that rely on real world technology and can get expected to break/jam when they get muddy, wet, or what have you. If this were for a Star Hero game where cheap blasters were commonplace, it might be appropriate, but again, not usually appropriate for a supertech blaster in a typical superhero game.

As others have said, if you have charges, you don't need to take 0 END.

Here's another 2 suggestions for a fairly typical blaster. The one has as much energy as it needs but it has different focusing crystals that wear out individually as the weapon is fired. Each crystal is good for 16 shots.

22  Multipower, 45 AP Reserve, OAF Blaster (-1)
2   1. 9d6 EB, 16 Charges (-0), OAF (-1)
2   2. 3d6 RKA, 16 Charges (-0), OAF (-1)
2   3. 9d6 EB, 16 Charges (-0), OAF (-1)

This one has a single END reserve for all attacks, but will eventually run dry, depending on how large its reserve is. This one has enough energy for 25 shots.

2   1. 9d6 EB, OAF (-1)
2   2. 3d6 RKA, OAF (-1)
2   3. 9d6 EB, OAF (-1)
6   END Reserve, 100 END, 1 REC, OAF (-1)

You can even combine the ideas if you want a weapon that has different focusing crystals that wear out individually, while also having a limited energy supply.

18  Multipower, 45 AP Reserve, OAF Blaster (-1), Costs END (-1/2)
2   1. 9d6 EB, 16 Charges (-0), OAF (-1), Costs END (-1/2)
2   2. 3d6 RKA, 16 Charges (-0), OAF (-1), Costs END (-1/2)
2   3. 9d6 EB, 16 Charges (-0), OAF (-1), Costs END (-1/2)

You do not need to buy reduced endurance on a multipower with charges. Charges make a power use 0 end [the item is using the end in the charge].

16 45 point Multipower, 64 charges: +1/2, OAF: -1, Independent: -2, Real Weapon: -1/4

1 1) Set to Stun: 9d6 EB

1 2) Set to Kill: 3d6 RKA

Total Cost: 18 points.

This one has a single END reserve for all attacks, but will eventually run dry, depending on how large its reserve is. This one has enough energy for 25 shots.

2   1. 9d6 EB, OAF (-1)
2   2. 3d6 RKA, OAF (-1)
2   3. 9d6 EB, OAF (-1)

I think your version is probably best for a typical blaster in a superhero game. I'd modify the REC slightly, to 4 REC, Only Recovers When Plugged Into Recharging Station (-1) because I don't think it should have a self-renewing power source. Once plugged in, the blaster can be fully charged in 5 minutes.

Actually this is just me tinkering with hero designer (and creating a unnamed generic agent template type for later use) so the real weapon, OAF, Independent stuff kind of works with it. (Sorry not to have clarify that earlier, what I get for post the thread just before bedtime.:rolleyes: )

And thanks for all the help.

Note: Forgot to mention unnamed generic agent with access to advanced technology.;)

Note: Just looked up the Charges section in the big book o' rules right in their: .....since Powers with Charges dont cost END to use....... (badger smacks self in forehead:o ) Well, now I feel stupid.

And again thanks for the help.

There’s always at least five ways to do anything. Fortunately, mine is always correct.

Independent isn’t for superheroic games, unless a GM really wants to stat out every ‘plot device’ that the bad guys build. It puts the GM in an unpleasant Mexican-standoff position. If he uses it, the character looses points forever, and the player is irritated. If he doesn’t, the character is getting a huge price break for nothing.

Even if it’s an agent, it’s a bad idea. If your focus gets taken away or broken, you can get another one. Independent means you can’t do this. If a hero takes his gun away, or he leaves it on the bus or something, he can’t go back to EvilCo head office and get a new one.

Stick with Focuses. Ignore the ‘the ability to use the fireball is part of the wand, not the wizard.’ bit under Independent, it’s absolutely wrong. A Universal Focus, which almost all guns are, DOES have the ‘ability to use the fireball’ as part of the focus.

---

No End does kick up the Active Point costs, unfortunately. You might want to check with the GM, many ‘don’t count’ No End against the price Active Point levels. Precisely because you can always work around it by using the nifty End Reserve trick Zed-F brought up.

---

“If you damage your weapon, you will spend a week in the box! If you damage your armor, you will spend a week in the box! If you loose your weapon or armor, I’ll kill you myself!!”

My first attempt at a multipower. Using Hero designer. Basically trying to create a blaster with settings of stun and kill.

Here is what I have:

Cost: 21 Blaster 45 point reserve

64 Charges (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (O END, +1/2) (90 Active Points) OAF (-1) Independent (-2) Real Weapon (-1/4)

4u) "set to kill"- RKA-3d6 (45 AP) END4

4u) "set to stun"- EB-9d6- Stun only (45 AP) END 4

I need to take away the Endurance on each slot. But I have to add Reduced Endurance on both which raises their cost to 67 AP. So should I do that and raise the multipower to a 67 point reserve? I know I am missing something. First time I have done a multipower on my own and I am trying to figure out what I am doing. I know their is something I am missing/dont understand.:o

Looks to me that you needed to hit the "Common Modifier" button rather than the "Mulitpower Only Modifier" button - that and what others have said re: charges and END cost.

That very much depends on what the mission is! And don't forget, something like a basic blaster will be used on a lot of different kinds of missions, so it will need to have the ammo capacity to satisfy any of those missions. If it's 'go kill this super' you might only need 8 shots -- though I wouldn't be very comfortable as an agent with only 8 shots. What if another couple supers show up to play? You don't want to run dry due to unforseen occurrances if you can avoid it. Even more so, what if your agent may potentially wind up going up against a bunch of other enemy agents or police? Or attacking civilians? You can blow a lot of ammo in a hurry in a target-rich environment.

How many rounds of ammo do you think a soldier packs around in a typical combat load? I don't know, but I'm certain it's a lot more than 8.