Valdorian Sorcerer Tasks Thread

Super Squirrel

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Valdorian Sorcerer Tasks Thread

Here's one I'm using in my game.

"Knock the head off the statue made by Drass in the Temple of the Twelve in Lannoch"

That sounds nasty enough, but on reaching the temple, it turns out that Drass (who worked as part of a team) has been dead for a long time - and no-one knows which statue is his. To find out which of the statues is his, the sorceror is going to need to find some way to talk with Drass' spirit.

(or if he is smart and reckless, just decapitate all twelve statues).

I'd class that as major, simply because it involves a great deal of work and potential danger, but not guaranteed risk of death (even if caught decapitating a statue in the temple, jail, a severe beating, maybe a branding and a big fine are more likely than death in this game world).

cheers, Mark

Here's one I'm using in my game.

"Knock the head off the statue made by Drass in the Temple of the Twelve in Lannoch"

That sounds nasty enough, but on reaching the temple, it turns out that Drass (who worked as part of a team) has been dead for a long time - and no-one knows which statue is his. To find out which of the statues is his, the sorceror is going to need to find some way to talk with Drass' spirit.

(or if he is smart and reckless, just decapitate all twelve statues).

I'd class that as major, simply because it involves a great deal of work and potential danger, but not guaranteed risk of death (even if caught decapitating a statue in the temple, jail, a severe beating, maybe a branding and a big fine are more likely than death in this game world).

cheers, Mark

Added with a URL link to this post.

wow. These are cool. But I have no idea what they are about. I apologize if my contribution makes absolutely no sense/is invalid.

How about:

Bake a pie. Give it to the first stray dog you find.

They aren't supposed to make sense. That is what makes them cool. Supernatural beings have plans or are looking at the big picture and request these of Sorcerers for whatever purpose they have in mind. I really like your idea.

The stray dog happens to be allergic to the type of pie made, wanders into a shop and dies. The shop keeper ends up closing shop for a stretch of time to get the mess cleaned up. A customer goes to another shop to do business instead and is mugged on the way. The muggers take a valuable necklace off of their victim and sell it to a Black Magician who recognizes it as something that was stolen from a member of the Fifty Families. With this object, the Black Magician is able to summon a demon to torment the woman.

Intermediate: Strip naked. Wrap yourself in an old fishnet. Start at Hawker's Square, walk over the Prince's Bridges and back to the Square.

Sick, aren't I . . . :D

Posted under Major. The reprecussions of this act and the time involved I felt made it worth the extra level. Especially if you consider there are also female sorcerers out there too.

Minor: Paint a red "1" on the door to your bedroom; two days lator paint a "2"; three days after that a "3"; four days after that a "4". Five days later either remove the numbers, or paint the whole door (color doesn't matter).

Minor: before your mid-day meal, hop up and down 20 times on your left foot.

Intermediate: the first ugly, and I mean UGLY, woman you see tomorrow, address her politely as "beautious one" and make small talk for a few moments.

Intermediate: give a bit to the old, OLD begger at the corner of Captain's Walk and Fated Sea Rd., saying "Here's for you, youngling."

Major: Walk from the south end of Crooked Lane, in Worm's Hole, to its north end, in Gibberish, giving a bit to every fourth begger you pass.

Here's one I am going to use...

Go the town of Hounskar and try to win the ritual competition of the Champion of the Butterfly Girl.

The basic idea (stolen from the famous Garhound Contests scenario) is that this is an annual re-enactment of a legendary event where suitors of a goddess competed to be chosen by her. It's seven days of competition (based on the legend) to choose the ritual champion of the goddess and involves various feats of strength, endurance and cunning - but also charm and attractiveness. Magic is also forbidden in most cases, so if a sorceror wants to win, he'll probably have to cheat. The NPC contestants certainly will...

For Valdorian settings you could probably put it on the border of the Cynthian Lands, which would definately make it major.

cheers, Mark

Major: Go to "Valdor's Courage" in Worm's Hole, book passage on a barge going to Wolfwold. Insist on a ticket/receipt/whatever. Go up Laden Cart Path, starting from its south end (at Heart-Stirrer's Lane), and give the ticket/receipt/whatever to the first one-eyed begger you see.

Major: Go to "Valdor's Courage" in Worm's Hole' date=' book passage on a barge going to Wolfwold. Insist on a ticket/receipt/whatever. Go up Laden Cart Path, starting from its south end (at Heart-Stirrer's Lane), and give the ticket/receipt/whatever to the first one-eyed begger you see.[/quote']

Added.

Shades of Aaron the Moor?

LUCIUS Art thou not sorry for these heinous deeds?

AARON Ay, that I had not done a thousand more.

Even now I curse the day--and yet, I think,

Few come within the compass of my curse,--

Wherein I did not some notorious ill,

As kill a man, or else devise his death,

Ravish a maid, or plot the way to do it,

Accuse some innocent and forswear myself,

Set deadly enmity between two friends,

Make poor men's cattle break their necks;

Set fire on barns and hay-stacks in the night,

And bid the owners quench them with their tears.

Oft have I digg'd up dead men from their graves,

And set them upright at their dear friends' doors,

Even when their sorrows almost were forgot;

And on their skins, as on the bark of trees,

Have with my knife carved in Roman letters,

'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.'

Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things

As willingly as one would kill a fly,

And nothing grieves me heartily indeed

But that I cannot do ten thousand more.

LUCIUS Bring down the devil; for he must not die

So sweet a death as hanging presently.

AARON If there be devils, would I were a devil,

To live and burn in everlasting fire,

So I might have your company in hell,

But to torment you with my bitter tongue!

Keith "Bardolator" Curtis