Valdorian Sorcerer Tasks Thread

Super Squirrel

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Valdorian Sorcerer Tasks Thread

To be honest, I have no idea where that came from. I meant "Hawker's Square" of course.

It just sounds so familiar...

[Google][Wiki]

Hmm. it's a Latin Palindrome. Somebody musthave used it on a map somewhere and I dredged it out of my memory. Anybody remember?

Keith "I certainly would have remembered a Latin palindrome, or even a Latin Palindromedary" Curtis

The sator square is commonly used in folk magic.

SATOR

AREPO

TENET

OPERA

ROTAS

The sator square is commonly used in folk magic.

SATOR

AREPO

TENET

OPERA

ROTAS

"Sator" is a perfectly good Latin word, one of whose meanings is "author". So not only is Pratchett punning on "the sator square," but he's also pointing out it's an invention of the author (himself).

Very witty and recondite. :)

Updated the list with all of the ones mentioned. Added one that others can use in their game. Basically' date=' you could think of it as the Demon, Cold Pyre's revenge.[/quote']

That's funny! Though Sophia wouldn't give up Stumpy's leg without a fight.

I'm a little worried about which one of these Sophia might be asked to do tonight :help:

Updated the list with all of the ones mentioned. Added one that others can use in their game. Basically' date=' you could think of it as the Demon, Cold Pyre's revenge.[/quote']

You may want to attach stats for our characters to that one. After all, if they're going to be fighting us as NPCs . . .

Don't have Valdorian Age, but looks like an interesting system. Apologies if there is duplication with what's in VA, as I wouldn't know. :D

Howabout including "impossibles"? Like:

"Pluck a hair from the beard of a woman and place it in the brush of the princess."

"Compose a lute-melody incorporating the sound of sunshine."

More normal weirdness:

Minor/Intermediate (depending on distance): "Ride side-saddle to the next town."

Intermediate: "Pay a crone one gold coin to shave all of your hair off. ALL of your hair."

Minor: "Whitewash a fence. Try to talk a passerby into doing it for you."

Major/Life-threatening: "Hire a man to assassinate a local lord in three days time. Do not communicate with him in any way afterwards. On the third day, stop him."

Major: Walk the length of Whose Ear Way, Snake's Den, stopping all who pass and saying to them, "I give up, whose??" Give two coins to the first person to realize you are making reference to the street's name.

Intermediate: sit on the steps at the uphill side of Dead Man's Slide (in Uphill East) until forced to move on by a Guardsman.

Major: rent a horse and ride to Tavern Keep. Buy and drink three beers there, then ride home, but do not return the horse to the stables until the day after.

• 2 weeks later...