Bypassing Armor that has Activation rolls

Kirby

Re: Bypassing Armor that has Activation rolls

If I were a player & got -1/4 on 15- Activation, then kept getting -12 because enemies spent 3 OCV, would I think the Limitation was worth -1/4?

Well, if his opponents keep taking -3 OCV, then effetively hes getting a +3 DCV bonus.

If your armor only partially protects you, I wouldn't advise stasding around, in the open, giving them plenty of chances to aim and shoot your unarmored section. As a GM, I'm not going to be routinely having all of my NPC's taking the reduction obtion. This is where running a game like an RPG and not a wargame comes into play. Taking the super aimed shot is the realm of the highly competent; mook NPC's just want to hit! Opposition equal to the PC's--again, getting any hit in is a good thing If PC's start to over use it--well, it does lower their effectiveness in hitting. If they can rountinely hit targets with ease, with excess levels as to make activation rolls success a rarity, check your game balance.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were a player & got -1/4 on 15- Activation' date=' then kept getting -12 because enemies spent 3 OCV, would I think the Limitation was worth -1/4?[/quote']

My solution is this: allow 8 pt. CSL to reduce activation roll, only after some type of Analyze skill or perhaps Power skill: HKA

My solution is this: allow 8 pt. CSL to reduce activation roll' date=' only after some type of Analyze skill or perhaps Power skill: HKA[/quote']

Again, this depends on the genre. If the activation roll represents actual coverage of locations, why can the average person shoot that location without some special skill, or an eight point skill level? If the activation roll represents some random effect ( a force field that flickers on and off at random intervals), I could see not allowing targeting--but how would you simulate a not unbelieveable option of 'making the right shot at the right instant'?

there are other limiting factors to consider to make such armor reductions less easy without forbidding them entirely. Can the shooter accurately make out what is covered by the target? Shooting in a dark alleyway, where only outlines can be seen, I'm not going to be allowing a called shot to lower armor unless the shooter has some form of visual power that lets him see in the dark--or is choosing a location that he knows to be unarmored, or at least thinks to be. If, for some reason, the armor is inobvious, who kows what is covered and what isn't? Heck, maybe looking unarmored (but actually having it) may trick opponents into trying for difficult shots and getting nothing for their effort.

Taking a called shot to the head to a location that the shooter didnt know had some form of armor simply gives you a penalty and guarantees armor activation--no roll needed. Of course, detailiong what is and isn't covered by such armor should be discussed first. the same outfit shouldn't have different uncovered areas from adventure to adventure.