Build me a super team!

Tenzil Kim

Here’s a little something I thought would be fun.

BUILD ME A SUPER TEAM

My wife just finished coloring theses images and I thought I would show them off. Below I’ve posted the character drawings and would like to know how you folks would interpret and stat them.

The rules are simple

Name the character

Stat him in your system of choice or just give a quick run down of his pertinent powers and abilities.

zg1.jpg

zg2.jpg

zg3.jpg

zg4.gif

zg5.gif

zg6.gif

zg7.gif

Guest Major Tom

Re: Build me a super team!

The only one in this collection of pics that I'm going to take a shot at coming

up with something for is the guy in the blue armor. Everyone else looks like a

mystic of one sort or another (and some of them look positively evil).

SPARTAN

Base origin of powers: Advanced battlesuit.

Secondary origin: Cyborg body.

(Since I really don't know what you would have done with this character in

terms of the source of his powers, I figured I'd cover both possibilities.)

Character archetype: Genius Inventor/Superhero.

Secondary archetype: Alien Super-soldier.

Third archetype: Cyborg Warrior.

(The first archetype assumes that the character is your typical comic-book

genius from right here on Earth; Tony Stark, for example.)

Powers:

Armored shell (primary defense against energy and kinetic attack)

Enhanced strength

Enhanced speed

Force Field (secondary defense)

Full-spectrum sensor array (auditory, visual, radar, etc.)

Life support

Long-distance jump (Superleap or similar power in another system)

Combination Spear/Energy-blast weapon

As far as what his powers run off of (in terms of a power source), that's going

to depend on what the character is. If the character is a battlesuit-wearing

Genius Inventor or Alien Super-soldier, then his suit is going to run off of an

internal battery that will need to be recharged (Whether after normal oper-

ation or after a fight, or even in an emergency -- an accidental power loss,

for example). If the character is a Cyborg Warrior, the power source will still

need to be recharged, but won't run out as quickly (something along the

lines

of 1/2 END Cost for all powers that use END); in addition, the Cyborg Warrior

will also be likely to have Regeneration as a power (to represent a self-repair

capability like microfactories or nanomachines, or a combination of both).

The only other power that I could have suggested was Flight, but since there

was nothing in the picture to suggest that the character had such a capa-

bility (no rocket thrusters on his back or boot jets), I didn't put it down.

Hope that this is of some help to you.

Major Tom :dyn

Picture #1

Name: Charlatan

Background/History: Max Binker is a very un-mystical sounding name, but it fit, because Max didn't believe in mysticism. Even as a kid he was pretty sure Santa was too good to be true. He did however believe in the old addage 'a sucker is born every minute' and grew up pulling small time swindles. It gave him a kick and he always thought people who let themselves get fooled deserved it. When his mutant powers surfaced, he became even more convinced that this was the right life for him. Somehow Max learned enough of the occult, eastern philosophy, and fringe religions that he became a pretty successful con artist and charlatan for a decade or so especially after changing his name to the more surreal sounding 'Myh U Shang'.

Then, one day, he led some gullible but REALLY sweet young lady down the wrong path. He thought the book was harmless. Turned out the sweet young thing ended up having real mystical talent, and what she opened released a veritiable horde of hell upon the earth. The young woman, who he'd grown to care for more than he admitted, was the first to die. Dozens more soon followed. Only the intervention super heroes and Max's own illusionary powers helped turn the tide.

Wracked by guilt, and now having proof positive that what he scoffed at all his life was very real, Max almost took his life. One of the heroes scornfully berated him for taking the 'easy way out' when he had a lot to atone for. Max found himself agreeing.

Now he uses his powers of deception and illusion to help the innocent, not fool them. He still uses mystical trappings, but he's honest about what he is for the first time in his life; He's a Charlatan.

Powers: In game terms? Mental Illusions, Images, Invisibility, and so on. Charlatan's powers are not very likely to hurt you unless he tries REALLY hard, but he can throw people off. Technically he's a mentalist, not a mystic, but by now his knowledge of mysticism makes him quite the expert in several areas of the occult. He's even learned how to use his powers to affect demonic minds (ie, the Alien Mental group as well as human). While he now frowns on it, those decades as a first rate con man haven't left him and neither have the skills of manipulation or verbal deceit.

Picture #2

Name:Lady Sinister

Background/History: Juliet Sinclair was always an odd child. At age eight, she would talk to her grandfather. That wouldn't be so odd, except said ancestor had been dead for two years by that time! Her parents tried to laugh it off, but there was no denying there was something odd about that girl.

When Juliet entered her teenage years, a new being appeared before her, wheedling her with promises of knowledge arcane and unknown. At the foot of this dead woman, Juliet began to learn ancient rites and methods of mysticism lost for centuries. Yet, she also had another dream, a dream of a sleeping man with a crown. Sometimes, his eyes opened, and he warned her... warned her of the woman. For a long time indeed, Juliet was torn on who to believe, but she didn't tell the woman of the sleeping king. On her sixteenth birthday, Juliet was told by her mentor that she was ready for the grandest ritual of all, the one that would give her true power, and she'd never be lonely or confused again. However, Juliet had been studying magics on her own as well... and at the apex of the 'great rite' she realized what she was doing. This spell was not to give her power, but rather allow for her possession so her ancestor might have a new host body.

Naturally, she declined, but the long dead witch was not to be denied, and attempted to take her without it. Only with the sleeping King's help did she over come the attempt and keep her sanity. It also brought understanding. She was of the line of Mordred, and thus both Morgan Lefay, and Arthur Pendragon. While of a bastard line, the blood was still in her, and her great ancestor sought to use that against her. Instead, the half ritual had only increased her mystic might.

She practiced harder than ever to master the arts arcane, in for a penny in for a pound as they say, and when she felt ready, she came out into the world as a hero who's name makes most confused...Lady Sinister.

Powers: Typical 'Mystic' in many ways, but she has many senses that allow her to see and hear even the long dead, as long as they are in her line. This basically is built as a helluva contact perk.

Picture #3

Name: Dr. Emil Wash (he hates being called "Wash out")

Background/History: A leading hydro-engineer of First Nations descent, Dr. Emil Wash took great pride in constructing new dams that were cleaner, stronger, and more efficient. It was his hope to yoke the power of rivers to feed the growing energy needs of North America. Not everyone, however, saw science as a possible friend to the enviroment. An enviromental terrorist organization, calling itself Green Earth Now! decided to make an example of the 'facist who thinks rivers should be controlled'. They left him strapped to one of his own creations, and blew it up. His body fell into the rushing rampage of water as it slammed into the valley below. Wash should have died, maybe he did and somehow came back. To this day, Dr. Wash is not sure how he survived.

All he knew was he awoke breathing the water, no, a part of it... and he commanded it to slow down, to redirect as best he could. True, the destruction had already begun and claimed property, but at least he could save as many lives as possible. He did so, and so grateful were those he helped that they didn't even point out that the man who could turn into water was quite naked.

With his identity publicaly known after such a display, Dr. Wash became a superhero in high demand, whether he wanted it or not. He doesn't bother with a costume, he's lucky enough to have gotten enough 'super suit' material that changes with him to act as shorts!

Powers: Maybe he had some latent mutant power that the stress activated. Maybe some of the labs in the valley below mixed unique chemicals in with him as they were broken open by the floodwaters cresting. Mystics have mentioned the possibility of magical influence, though they admit to not sensing anything of the sort. Dr. Wash can transform his body into water, and project short but strong streams of water with more pressure than a firehose. If asked, HE would claim that his greatest power is a life time of education as engineer and a quick adaptive mind.

(Skipping pic 4 as Tom's already got that covered)

Picture #5

Name:Crescent

Background/History:Darrel Johns was twelve years old the day Mr. Midnight failed to save his mother. He saw it. Darrel saw the hero knock the villain's weapon to the side, and then saw it go off... the blast shattered the floor his mother was standing on, then broke. Darrel saw his mother scream as she slid down the now jagged edged hole which shredded her, and he saw Mr. Midnight leap forward to save her, to catch her hand...

and Darrel saw him miss.

She died on the hospital bed, his own living blood kin. Darrel would soon become a ward of the state. Young black males of that age are hardly high adoptive choices. So, when a rather affluent single white male and millionare pulled strings and called judges to adopt him, Darrel was surprised, and a bit worried at what kind of pervert this guy might be. However, he was treated kindly, even lavishly. Darrel could sure get used to this.Still, he had no real respect for his adopted father. Some rich guy trying to see him as a charity case, no doubt.

Any lover of comic books could probably have seen it coming, Darrel began to notice his adopted father was sure gone a lot, and at odd times as well. Snooping around, he found the secret entrance to the lair... and discovered his 'adopted dad' was the same man who failed to save his mother!! He looked about the base for the most lethal thing he could find, and prepared to kill the 'hero' when he returned.

Instead somehow that night the kid ended up crying on the floor, wondering why he just couldn't pull the trigger.

It took some months to patch things up after that, and Darrel demanded one thing of the super hero, if he really wished to repay him, "Teach me what you know, make me better than you."

Mr Midnight ...accepted. The new mentor didn't let Darrel help him in the field till the boy was 16, after discovering Darrel was going on on his own anyways and had been dubbed by the media "Kid Crescent".

At Age 18, Crescent was well on the way to becoming all his mentor was, and more. Detective training, Gadgeteering, and athletics that would make an olympic gold medalist envious were just the cornerstones. After some fighting, they agreed it time to cut the strings, but as a compromise, Darrel , now just "Crescent" had to join a superteam.

So, here he is.

Powers: None. Crescent is the typical gadgeteer/martial artist combo, with a nighttime theme to his gear. "Night Timers" bombs that spread darkness either instantly or after a certain period has passed, throwing crescents, and a glider cape that expands to look like his name sake are just some of Crescent's many toys. He's also a skilled hand to hand fighter, a good inventor, and when he stops to use it, a darn fine detective. Alas, he's still got the impulsiveness of youth from time to time.

(special thanks to Enforcer for some inspiration)

Picture #6

Name:Unity

Background/history: Almost twenty years ago today, seven earthlings headed into space on a shuttle. Primative by the standards of more advanced species, it never the less managed to capture the interest of the races that hoped to see how Earth Tech was developing. Among these were the Mandaarians (or pick another race of your setting). Cloaked and invisible to NASA's sensors, they felt a sort of paternal fondness for the Terran attempts to reach for the stars. Despite their vast technological edge, the Maandarians, so unused to such outmoded designs, only noticed the design flaw and building problem about five seconds before the shuttle exploded.

Despite their belief in non interference, the aliens attempted to save the humans. Even as their teleporation array tried to lock in on the seven, they reached out with their minds to try to hold mental cohesion as well.

It was too late to save them, in any recognizible form at any rate. Forming before them was born a being of cosmic nature, seven in one, and it was insane. It took all the aliens had to contain the panic stricken and confused creature, and a decade of what humans would call therapy, but finally the gestalt finished. The seven were no longer individuals, they were now a unified being of great power and a combination of explorers, educator, scientists, and dreamers. The being dubbed itself Unity, and the Mandaarians felt they no longer had a right to hold it against its will. Unity has returned to Earth since then, occaisionally hit with pangs of memories and regret, but mostly it seeks to help bring hope, and reasure the people of Earth that for all the dangers, there is wonder to be found in the stars as well.

Powers: Unity is basically a genderless (though it most often appears vaguely male it can assume a female form) being of pure cosmic energy. Even the Mandaarians can't explain what happened. Perhaps the humans' collective strength of will had something to do with it? The results are a being which may seem a 'typical energy projector' now, but the powers of Unity keep growing. It can survive almost any enviroment, and regenerates from anything short of complete dispersal and destruction. So far, it has shown skills related to piloting, Navigation, Astronomy and more.

these are really cool write ups so far. better than i would have come up with. I like the way that there is a minor spin put on each character so that they aren’t what the “appear†to be.

Bravo gentlemen!

:D

Glad you liked. :)

As someone pointed out, they did seemed to be a bit mystic heavy, so I thought I'd move away from that.

I'll leave #7 to someone else, as I've already hogged the limelight enough, and besides, not as certain about concepts springing to mind for that one.

Most prevelant thought is an Alien Princess with the equivilent of the family crown (That headpiece) wielding great power.

I think visions of Starfire in the 80's teen titans run are biasing me. :)

Picture #7

Name: Capricorn

Background/History: By the age of 11 Sonja Heuer had been just about everywhere a troop of Elephants could parade down a main thoroughfare and a big top could be erected in a vacant field. As the daughter of Leighman Heuer, a circus equestrian, and his performing wife Agatha Sonja had seen the country as she traveled with the Pan-Twilight Traveling Circus.

As unusual as the life of a circus urchin would seem Sonja’s early days were even more bizarre and mysterious. The Pan-Twilight Traveling Circus was much more than a simple troop of performers and sideshow freaks. The Pan-Twilights were heroes.

Agatha Heuer always knew she had a gift. Her earliest memories were full of futures that she lived to see come to past. Less a gift than a curse Agatha’s abilities drove her into solitude and eventually to small circus where she made money pretending her visions were a parlor trick. Oh, the irony.

Eventually Agatha’s ruse was seen through by a man named Harlin Twilight. Harlin was the ringleader of the Pan-Twilight Traveling Circus; a group of gifted individuals that, under Harlin’s supervision, had banded together to assuage their own loneliness while helping the world at large.

It was during her first year at the Pan-Twilight Traveling Circus that Agatha met and fell in love with the dashing Leighman Heuer, the circus’ star equestrian by day and the infamous Black Rider by night. After a short courtship the two married and at 12:00 midnight on December 31 had a daughter; Sonja.

From her birth Agatha knew that Sonja was special. So special, in fact, that Agatha, armed with visions of her daughter’s future, sought out and consulted Harlin Twilight about her future…

- Sonja is every bit the Capricorn that her mother foresaw. She is one of the most stable and serious of the zodiacal types. She is an independent, rocklike character with many sterling qualities. She is confidant, strong willed and calm. Like any Capricorn should be Sonja is hardworking, unemotional, shrewd, practical, responsible, persevering, and cautious to the extreme, capable of persisting for as long as is necessary to accomplish a goal she has set for herself.

Powers: Sonja is a true mentalist capable of shattering the glass ceiling of mortality should ever the correct circumstances arise.

This is pretty cool. The drawings are great. Very dynamic and very colorful. The first thing that poped into my head was that this was The New New Circle. (See Oddhat's thread about The New Circle.)

So without further ado, here' some brief descriptions of The New New Circle.

#1 The Master of course. ;)

#2 Morrígan Celtic spell caster of considerable power. Her spells are all "typical" witch craft. They require gestures, incantations, and small objects, icons, or expendable components. This makes relatively slow summoning for her power, and since she is otherwise basically a normal mortal, she tends to hang back and is very defensive in combat. In person, she is intelligent, a great coversationalist, pretty and out-going. (Power and personality wise, she is closest to Megan from the original Circle.)

#3 Undine A water elemental who was summoned to this plane by evil witches. He was set free when the New New Circle destroyed his conjurers. He is looking for a way home; the witch's black magic cannot be replicated by the Circle. Meanwhile, he serves with the Circle. He is a basic brick. His un-earthly form can take a lot of punishment before being dispelled (he reforms after a variable amount of time). His fists have the power of the oceans. He can move in super leaps on water spouts. He also has some TK based on water jets eminating from his body, but these are minor secondary powers.

#4 Asclepius Dr. Ashton was an anthropolgist who was working on a dig in Greece. After the team discovered an ancient spear, he stayed up late working on deciphering faint writing on the spear-head. As he muttered the words aloud, the spear suddenly came to life and attached itself to his hand! It was the spear of the hero Asclepius which could grant it's wielder any battle powers he might want! Dr. Ashton, who was bored with his job and read Jane's Super Military Guide, knew just what to ask for. A brand new experimental XJ-36000 military grade exosuit with all the extras! The spear said "Uh, wow, never had anyone ask for one of those before" and the new Asclepius was born. Asclepius has great speed, dexterity and toughness granted by the spear, and the armour and strength of the exosuit are a huge boost. He doesn't actually know how to operate the suit fully, and so is often discovering things right on the battlefield (small VPP of useful gadgets--inspired by the TV show "Greatest American Hero"). He also tends to be quite over enthusiastic, which can get him into a bit of trouble.

#5 Blue Moon Blue Moon learned his magic the old fashioned way--he studied hard. After earning degrees at several universities, he had finnaly gathered enough information to begin piecing together the true secrets of the ancients--magic! Blue Moon has a reconfigurable (before the adventure) VPP which allows him to tailor his spells to the planned mission. His most often used is his gate spell which he uses to take the New New Circle to where they are needed. He also functions as the teams best investigator. His large personal knowledge, strong deductive skills and immense intellect make him the obvious choice for go-to guy for magical questions.

#6 Infinity Fred Nueman was an ordinary user of magic. His abilities were small but he practiced them constanly. One day, during a routine astral projection, he was attacked by a malevolent entity! So fierce was the battle that The Master felt it and dispatched Blue Moon, Morrígan, and Necromancer to help. The New New Circle was succeful, but in the battle the silver cord attached to Fred Nueman's body was badly damaged. He could not return! His body was whisked to The Masters garden where it is kept alive by strong magics. Fred Nueman helps the New New Circle now when he is able. He of course moves at the speed of thought, functioning as the team's speedster. He is often both invisible and desolid and works well as a scout. He has also learned to solidify his body through force of will and can move by/move through with great effectiveness. After being solid though he must return to the astral plane to rest, because the effort is very taxing. (A bit of inspiration from Negative Man from the latest Teen Titan's animated series.)

#7 Necromancer Necromancer was raised by a dark sect; as an adult she was the evil cult's leader. The Master personally destroyed the sect. During his assault, Necromancer truly repented of her evil and in return, the Master saved her from destruction. Neither the Master nor Necromancer will give any details about her or her cult. (Blue Moon suspects, but cannot prove, that she was a Morbane with DEMON.) Necromancer's always active defensive magics, and anti-life spells, make her an effective front line combatant. She is also an effective stealther, and along with Infinity and Blue Moon are the group's primary information gatherers. Her knowledge of the occult is second only to Blue Moon and the Master himself. Personally, she is withdrawn and very defensive. She has "issues" with just about everything. (Dark sects do not raise nice people). She is also haunted by her past, and is determined to clean up a number of lingering loose ends.

[Tongue planted firmly in cheek]

#1 - Parasite: One day Lester Johnson's hair all fell out and a supernatural insectlike demon errupted from a mole on his back. Since that day, he has learned to expel two types of gas from his armpits, one that will put the creature to sleep and the other wakes it up in a fighting mood. When Lester has BO, bad guys had better run from his little friend.

#2 - Sister Salem - Annie Salem was born immortal. Due to a bad piece of pork at the local Inn, she was discovered and tried as a witch. She was found guilty and was set to be tortured to death on the rack. Though due to her aforementioned immortality, she would never die. After being abandoned on the rack for decades, Annie eventually perfected a handful of spells including one that would free her from her bonds. However, all that time on the rack, made Annie's muscles and bones stretch and set in such a way that she can never lower her arms again! So as not to be labeled a freak, Annie became a superhero because they are known for striking dramatic poses. Amazingly no one has even noticed.

[Removing Tongue]

If no one's mad, maybe I'll post more later

[Tongue planted firmly in cheek]

#1 - Parasite: One day Lester Johnson's hair all fell out and a supernatural insectlike demon erupted from a mole on his back. Since that day, he has learned to expel two types of gas from his armpits, one that will put the creature to sleep and the other wakes it up in a fighting mood. When Lester has BO, bad guys had better run from his little friend.

Ok, that one is the funniest. Double plus good.

[Removing Tongue]

If no one's mad, maybe I'll post more later

Please do. The Parasite is priceless:D

Thanks for all the enthusiasm folk. I was PMed with a request for my wife to do some commissioned work and it occurred to me that my 1st post might be misleading. Both my wife and I work on these pictures. I draw them and she colors them. I’m sorry if this has caused anyone confusion.

I’d be interested in doing some commissioned pieces if anyone is interested. I could do pieces like the ones seen here in color.

Time permitting I’d love to work on a few character drawings.