Making a "Wall Jump" power

Mad Fnorder

Board newbie here, trying to construct a power I just haven't been able to build right. The idea is to make a "wall kick" power- the ability to basically make jumps in consecutive phases, A la the wall jumps seen in various fighting games and such. It's simulating the dexterity of the character to basically gain sufficient footing off an unstable or vertical surface long enough to take another jump or whatever.

I was trying to simulate it with a limited form of clinging, with Costs END and RSR: Acrobatics- but it didn't seem to get the part about the power only working from phase to phase, and that you have to keep moving. I was thinking some sort of kludge involving continuing charges, but that doesn't seem to be it either. Suggestions for limitations to get this to work?

Re: Making a "Wall Jump" power

First off, you could possibly define the sequence of jumps as one actual use of Leaping, in which case it would all have to be done in the same Phase, or in only as many Phases as it takes to complete a Non-Combat Leap. That's not really standard rules, though, where you make one Leap per use (at least per Half-Move) and there is no Turn Mode along the way. I recall someone suggesting that you could use Movement Skill Levels and allow one bounce per Level, which strikes me as a good idea.

If none of that is to your liking, I would suggest perhaps Linking the Clinging to Leaping. That way you could not use the Clinging in any Phase in which you did not make a Leap. Or maybe a, "Stall Speed," like they have on Flight and Gliding, would work well.

Lastly, you can always come up with a custom Limitation. Something like, "Must Leap Next Phase or Fall (-1/2)." I don't know about the actual value of that, but you can play with it. -1/4 to -3/4 feels about right to me.

Flight; must land / push off to change directions; cannot hover; only X" between land / push-offs.

This is how we've done it in the past for similar genre feels. It's worked well, though it may not suit your needs. It's usually costed at -1 in our games, though has been -1 1/2 under certain game premises.

Flight; must land / push off to change directions; cannot hover; only X" between land / push-offs.

This is how we've done it in the past for similar genre feels. It's worked well, though it may not suit your needs. It's usually costed at -1 in our games, though has been -1 1/2 under certain game premises.

Does this seems reasonable? The effect I'm going for here is multiple "short" leaps; they're only 6" leaps, but there's more of them, to simulate the rapid leaping of ninja in various anime.

Ninja Leap!: Flight 18", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (51 Active Points); Only 6" Between Landings/Pushoffs (-1/2), Must Land/Push Off To Change Directions (-1/4), Cannot Hover Except At Landing Points (-1/4) (25 Real Points) END: 2.

My build:

Wall Jump:

+X" Leaping. Trigger (+1/4) Trigger automatically resets (+?/?)

Lim: Requires skill roll (-1/2) Acrobatics.

With this power the character can leap whenever he touches a vertical surface such as a wall or a tree. This is oftentimes done in the same phase as the characters base leap to gain additional height or distance to reach out of the way places. The power is activated automatically when the character touches a wall surface feet first and successfully makes the skill roll. The power can obviously only be activated once per phase, however, it doesn't always have to be at the end of a normal leap....it can be used at interesting "in-between" phases as well, as long as it has not been used that phase.

For example, lets say Jackie Chan is fighting a tough enemy. He has the above power written up as +4" Leaping. His enemy actually manages to get Chan in a grab maneuver and throws him against a wall. Chan succeeds with an Acrobatics skill roll to land on his feet and this allows him to activate the Wall Jump power to leap out of reach of his opponent!

I actually like that idea. I mean' date=' from the concept of knockback it is a bad idea, but it does the trick.[/quote']A couple of years ago I asked Steve Long if this same idea of "wall-jumping" was legal by splitting Leaping into segments, and his answer was essentially "No, because using Leaping a character cannot change direction. He'd have to Leap, stop and wait until his next Phase, then Leap again."

I wasn't real happy with that since it's such a staple of kung fu movies, so talked it over with my co-GM's (It's obviously a natural for Zl'f) and between us we decided that with her 43 DEX, her 9 SPD, her 12" Leaping, and her Teleport 11" (Must Cross Intervening Space) she could do it and the actual mechanics of how weren't important. The Teleport 11" (Must Cross Intervening Space) seemed to be the deciding factor, so if I was forced to build this ability I think that's the way I'd probably go.

I've done this with a C, but the C had clinging already. I just allowed the C to make an Acrobatic's roll as they touched a surface and then leap. To change direction in the middle of the leap I used the landing/touch to allow the direction change. The C had 18" leap and a acrobatics roll of 17-, so he could take a full 18" move and could alter the direction each time he landed. I also allowed the C to buy levels with leaping so he could stop using the acrobatics roll and just use a level for the bounces.

I would buy up the basic leaping to equal the running speed, and buy clinging as well, and that would pretty much cover it all. you could mix/match your leap/run to do the ninja hop across rooftops, since the numbers are the same, you could do either and both in the same phase (I don't know a GM that wouldn't allow a lil bit of run in a jump, and vice versa). with the clinging, you could stick to the side of a tree or whatever. Clinging, not against smooth/untextured surface (-1/2) in a city setting, you could cling to the side of a stone building, but slip right off the glass. that would be less depending on genre though.

I've done this with a C' date=' but the C had clinging already. I just allowed the C to make an Acrobatic's roll as they touched a surface and then leap. To change direction in the middle of the leap I used the landing/touch to allow the direction change. The C had 18" leap and a acrobatics roll of 17-, so he could take a full 18" move and could alter the direction each time he landed. I also allowed the C to buy levels with leaping so he could stop using the acrobatics roll and just use a level for the bounces.[/quote']

This has some potential, if you want to approach it as a mechanic instead of a power.

Perhaps something along the lines of using an Acrobatics Roll (or Power Skill: Leaping) to determine the ability to 'point land' and leap off at a tangent.

Perhaps figure a successful roll means that he can 'touchdown' short of his full leap and hop off the remainder of his leap in a different direction?

Figuring that his base success is, say, 11-, with penalties for inches over half of his full move, and bonuses for inches under half his full move.....

It goes in a different direction, as it limits immediately that he will always be 'landed' at the end of his phase, and that each successive leap in the same phase will be necessarily shortened by the amount of Leap already used......

Sorry.

Just thinking out loud, but when I read this post, it occured to me that perhaps a mechanic might serve as well as a build. And really, Power Skill should have some sort of purpose.....