Chainmail Bikini Effects

Steve

Re: Chainmail Bikini Effects

There's another effect I've seen in a lot of this kind of art, that I'm not sure how to handle in Hero System.

Did you ever notice that these chainmail bikinis (or scraps of armor, or whatever the "hawt chik" is wearing) always fit skin tight? Like jeans, leotards, and such? Where's the padding? Trying wearing metal with no padding underneath in The Real Worldâ„¢ and you'll get hurt bad. Yet these "hawt chiks" don't have to worry about it.

Is there a way to write this up, or should it just be considered a Special Effect of their Armor, etc.?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's another effect I've seen in a lot of this kind of art, that I'm not sure how to handle in Hero System.

Did you ever notice that these chainmail bikinis (or scraps of armor, or whatever the "hawt chik" is wearing) always fit skin tight? Like jeans, leotards, and such? Where's the padding? Trying wearing metal with no padding underneath in The Real Worldâ„¢ and you'll get hurt bad. Yet these "hawt chiks" don't have to worry about it.

Is there a way to write this up, or should it just be considered a Special Effect of their Armor, etc.?

I'd just call it a sfx or a genre trope.

Anyone who's been to a SciFi con or a ren faire has seen examples of girls wearing chainmail bikinis without padding... Its not THAT big a deal as long as the links are welded or closed very well. Would suck to get hit, but they're not inherently painful.

Well, except for the whole epilady effect from the chainmail moving.

I suppose a good point could be made for chainmail bikinis being painful to wear, but I suspect it'd be more from shaving wiggly bits with Iron Age razors. :eek:

Steve, Nexus: Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wondered if anyone wanted to/thought it should be written up.

Anyone who's been to a SciFi con or a ren faire has seen examples of girls wearing chainmail bikinis without padding... Its not THAT big a deal as long as the links are welded or closed very well. Would suck to get hit' date=' but they're not inherently painful.[/quote']

Ah, but the basic idea in this thread has been the bad movie/story/comic idea of women fighting in such-like gear. ;)

Ah' date=' but the basic idea in this thread has been the bad movie/story/comic idea of women [i']fighting[/i] in such-like gear. ;)

Yes, that's what it is. I think I'll have to pull out my old comics and start writing up Red Sonja now. :D

Steve, Nexus: Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wondered if anyone wanted to/thought it should be written up.

Ah, but the basic idea in this thread has been the bad movie/story/comic idea of women fighting in such-like gear. ;)

Well, yes...

But what are the chances REALLY of said redheaded barbarian lass actually getting HIT in the unpadded mail?

Every chainmail bikini I can remember has had less actual mail in it than my old gorget.

Its not armor. Its a special effect. P'rhaps it's the Focus for her Barbarian Babe powers? After all... Harem Girls and Exotic dancers wear just as little but they don't get all the breaks and bonuses that the Chainmail Bikini Warrior Maid Brigade do.

EDIT: And come to think of it... Doesn't it seem like one of the traditional ways Barbarian Girls are stripped of their special powers is to be captured and thrown in a harem by an Evil Visier ? That seems to support the "Chainmail Bikini as Focus" hypothesis. Tho I'd allow a Power Stunt to temporarily reactivate the powers by artfully tearing apart the silken veils and making a proper loincloth out of them. Maybe with a supplimental pauldron taken from a downed guard to remind everyone that shes a warrior, dammit, and not cheesecake :D

I believe Marvel's official line on Red Sonja was that it is clothing, not armor.

Keith "Ridiculous, Uncomfortable, wonderful, wonderful clothing" Curtis

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes: Wonder how they came up with that idea. :joint: Shear genius :stupid:

:rolleyes::tonguewav

Guest bblackmoor

In the world of Glorantha' date=' the Orlanthi barbarians use woad when fighting skyclad ([i']i.e.[/i], nude). In the game system, woad was given an armor value that wore off as the body paint wore off. On the other hand, at maximum strength, it was better than most of the armor you could buy, and weighed nothing so it didn't impact your Dodge skill. And it didn't work if you wore anything over it.

In a wild martial arts game I play in (The Hung Dynasty), I have a demon-hunter character whose wears kabuki-style face-paint that provides Combat Luck. It takes a while to apply, and it washes off if she gets significantly wet. At the time I thought that was an original idea. I guess I should have known better. :)

In a wild martial arts game I play in (The Hung Dynasty)' date=' I have a demon-hunter character whose wears kabuki-style face-paint that provides Combat Luck. It takes a while to apply, and it washes off if she gets significantly wet. At the time I thought that was an original idea. I guess I should have known better. :)[/quote']

Dude, Glorantha got it from the real-world Picts, who used woad paint to decorate themselves before battle. There's no reliable record of how it was supposed to work for them, though.

In the world of Glorantha' date=' the Orlanthi barbarians use woad when fighting skyclad ([i']i.e.[/i], nude). In the game system, woad was given an armor value that wore off as the body paint wore off. On the other hand, at maximum strength, it was better than most of the armor you could buy, and weighed nothing so it didn't impact your Dodge skill. And it didn't work if you wore anything over it.

In HERO terms, this would be something like:

Woad I: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Does Not Work If Any Other Armor Or Clothing Is Worn (-2), Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Visible (-1/4). Total Cost: 7 points.

Woad I Creation Spell: 7 Active Points; Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain; enchanted pigments and ritual gear; -1 1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2), Gestures, (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Ritual Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4). Total Cost: 1 point.

Notes: This is a high-fantasy woad, like you might find in a normal game. It works much like a potion.

Woad II: Damage Resistance (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (10 Active Points); Does Not Work If Any Other Armor Or Clothing Is Worn (-1 1/2), Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Visible (-1/4) (total Cost: 3 points) plus Hardened (+1/4) for up to 16 Active Points of character's PD and ED (4 Active Points); Does Not Work If Any Other Armor Or Clothing Is Worn (-1 1/2), Visible (-1/4) (total cost: 1 point). Total Cost: 4 points.

Woad II Creation Spell: 4 Active Points; Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain; enchanted pigments and ritual gear; -1 1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2), Gestures, (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Ritual Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4). Total cost: 1 point.

Notes: This is a low-fantasy version of the same.

If you wanted to include things like possible psychotropic effects, include a Side Effect (character always acquired Disadvantage Psychological Limitation: Overconfident And Delusional (Very Common, Strong) while the Armor lasts; -1). The fact that it's a Strong Psych Lim means that the character will need to make EGO rolls to avoid feeling Overconfident and/or Delusional. For the low fantasy version make it Side Effect (character always acquired Disadvantage Psychological Limitation: Overconfident And Delusional (Very Common, Moderate) while the Damage Reduction lasts; -1) instead - low fantasy characters have enough problems.

To get back on topic, I've been toying with a Bulletproof Nudity Talent (1 point of Armor for 1 point; 2 points of Armor for 3 points) that gives you Armor, Hardened when you go around in loincloth/bikini. You'd be able to buy one DEF of this Talent for each positive point of Comeliness you have over 10. Combine that with a modest amount of Combat Luck and you're golden.

Hero Designer Prefab File: Woad.hdp

Well crap. I wanted to rep you for this, but They won't let me. This is great stuff.

These are obviously all higher level martial arts techniques (or jutsu' date=' depending on what anime you're watching right now :P ), specifically of the Teeanday School of Chinese Amazon Wu Shu.[/quote']

I missed this comment the first time around, I guess.

Yes, I could see abilities like these on Shampoo's character sheet. They are meant to represent abilities women can have to take advantage of male chauvinism.

"She's only a woman! How is she beating us?" :D

• 6 years later...