Chainmail Bikini Effects

Steve

Probably most famous due to Red Sonja in Marvel Comics, but it is also seen in cheesy and/or pulpish swords & sorcery stories. I recently came across a funny little d20 supplement called Chainmail Bikini, and I thought it would be fun to translate some of the feats to Hero System equivalents. These are intended for female characters. If anyone can think of others, feel free to post. :D

Eye Candy: Mind Control 8d6, Reduced END (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Cannot Pay END to Prevent Deterioration of Breakout Roll (-1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Cannot Achieve EGO +30 Results (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase; -1/2), Effect Ends Immediately If Anyone Directly Threatens Target (-1/2), Limited Normal Range (3"; -1/2), Not When Wearing Heavy Armor (-1/2), Only Works On Persons Of Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1/4), Requires A Comeliness or Seduction Roll (-1 per 20 points; -1/4) (Real Cost: 14 Points) plus Mind Control +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); same Limitations as above, plus Only To Achieve +20 "Target Cannot Detect Mind Control" Modifier (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9 Points). Total Cost: 23 Points.

Glutton For Punishment: 25% Physical Normal Damage Reduction (10 Active Points), Character Must Be Aware Of Attack (-1/4), STUN Damage Defined As Pain/Shock Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6 Points) plus +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); Only Works If STUN Damage Defined As Pain/Shock Taken In Prior Or Current Phase (-1/2), Side Effect (-2 DCV; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5 Points). Total Cost: 11 Points.

Hot and Violent: +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); Not When Wearing Heavy Armor (-1/2), Only Works On Persons Of Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1/4). Total Cost: 6 Points.

My Face Is Up Here: Combat Luck (3/3) (11 Active Points); Not When Wearing Heavy Armor (-1/2), Only Works On Persons Of Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4 Points) plus +2 DCV (10 Active Points); same Limitations as above, plus Linked to Combat Luck (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4 Points). Total Cost: 8 Points.

Take Your Mind Off It: Healing BODY 1d6, Reduced END (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn; -1 1/4), Gestures (must hold or cradle target's head against chest or in lap; -1/2), Not When Wearing Heavy Armor (-1/2), Only Works On Persons Of Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1/4), Requires A Comeliness Or Seduction Roll (-1/2). Total Cost: 4 Points.

Too Cute To Hit: +2 DCV (10 Active Points); Not When Wearing Heavy Armor (-1/2); Only Works On Persons Of Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1/4). Total Cost: 6 Points.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Chainmail Bikini Effects

There is even some historic justification...anchient Celts fought nude, so having somekind of mystic benefit is surely fine in a S&S setting....Combat luck 1x or 2x: Distinctive looks "won't you catch cold?" cost 1 or 7 points...maybe an additional lim so 1 level of Combat luck at thr R level and 2 levels at the mature audiences only level.......

There is even some historic justification...anchient Celts fought nude' date=' so having somekind of mystic benefit is surely fine in a S&S setting.[/quote']

I recall the ancient Celts also being toked up on woad and the like while doing so.

Fighting nude is NOT the same as wearing mail without padding underneath...

Add-

Chafing +1 PD, side effect (always occurs) 1 BODY damage whenever running. PLUS Cosmetic Transform - from woman with pubic hair to woman without pubic hair.

Shall we get into rust and tetanus as well?

I recall the ancient Celts also being toked up on woad and the like while doing so.

The ancient Celts fought a ritual form of warfare (as do many African tribal cultures). The use of armour wasn't that important (initially) as the Celts fought man to man rather than in regimented army formations.

Wars were often presided over by the neutral Druids and the outcome was not necessarily simply a matter of who killed the most of the enemy.

Back on topic, I like the abilities. Male PCs deserve to have their sexist behaviour used against them...

Woad

Sung to the tune of 'Men of Harlech'

What's the use of wearing braces,

Hats or spats or shoes with laces,

Vests and pants you buy in places

Down on Brompton Road?

What's the use of shirts of cotton,

Studs that always get forgotten?

These affairs are simply rotten-

Better far is Woad.

Woad's the stuff to show men.

Woad to scare your foemen.

Boil it to a brilliant blue,

And rub it on your legs and your abdomen.

Ancient Britons never hit on

Anything as good as woad to fit on

Neck or knees or where you sit on-

Tailors, be you blowed!

Romans came accross the channel,

All dressed up in tin and flannel;

Half a pint of woad per man'll

Clothe us more than these.

Saxons, you may save your stitches,

Building beds for bugs in britches;

We have woad to clothe us which is

Not a nest for fleas.

Romans, keep your armors,

Saxons your pajamas!

Hairy coats were made for goats,

Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs and llamas.

March on Snowdon with your woad on

Never mind if you get rained or snowed on,

Never need a button sewed on,

Bottoms up to woad!

Keith "with thanks to Oak, Ash and Thorne" Curtis

"On the Woad again, out there slaying romans with my friends, isnt it great to be back on the Woad again"

and another filk fragment that supposedly exists in its entirety but I never seen a complete copy of

"Hey Caesar leave those Celts alone! All we are is just another Pict on the Wall"

although for the best songs about rome that are sorta mainstream, nothing beats Kipling

Rimini and the Picts Song especially, although Cold Iron and Danny Deever are also favorites of mine

Leslie Fish recorded a couple of tapes of Kipling set to music years ago, they are nice

urban legend has it that Picards term "Make it so" was borrowed from Kiplings "Ballad of the Clampherdown" its also a royal navy term

Joe Bettancourt has done a CD called Celtic Circle Dance, that the title track is refered to as the pagan history of britain, and its quite good, the CD was out of print for years, but is back in print again

Macho Women with Guns had the disad "Topheavy" and the skill "run in high heels"

course the armor table listed Breastplate, its armor factor, and the coverage locations as "Guess"

I wondered how long it would take for someone to refer to MWWG ;)

Guest Major Tom

Reading this thread has reminded me of what I believe was the last of Phil

Foglio's Phil and Dixie strips from Dragon Magazine. They were

visiting the TSR HQ, and in one scene, they're walking down a hall when

some guy sticks his head out a door and yells out "Hey, you! Go tell the

janitor to get the blowtorch -- one of the models cant get out of her

chainmail bikini!"

The expression on their faces was priceless.

Major Tom :D

Yup' date=' which may have had skin-absorbable narcotic effects (or something like that).[/quote']

I've never seen any reference to Woad having any narcotic effects. ?

otoh, NOT wearing dirty clothing that would contaminate a wound might have been part of the origin of "spearman's immunity."

I've never seen any reference to Woad having any narcotic effects. ?

I may be mistaken. I thought I read somewhere about Woad possibly having some sort of skin-absorbable effect, maybe it was hallucinogenic. But I may be wrong, or recalling something else the Celts may have used before battle.

In the world of Glorantha, the Orlanthi barbarians use woad when fighting skyclad (i.e., nude). In the game system, woad was given an armor value that wore off as the body paint wore off. On the other hand, at maximum strength, it was better than most of the armor you could buy, and weighed nothing so it didn't impact your Dodge skill. And it didn't work if you wore anything over it.

In HERO terms, this would be something like:

Woad I: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Does Not Work If Any Other Armor Or Clothing Is Worn (-2), Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Visible (-1/4). Total Cost: 7 points.

Woad I Creation Spell: 7 Active Points; Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain; enchanted pigments and ritual gear; -1 1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2), Gestures, (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Ritual Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4). Total Cost: 1 point.

Notes: This is a high-fantasy woad, like you might find in a normal game. It works much like a potion.

Woad II: Damage Resistance (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (10 Active Points); Does Not Work If Any Other Armor Or Clothing Is Worn (-1 1/2), Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Visible (-1/4) (total Cost: 3 points) plus Hardened (+1/4) for up to 16 Active Points of character's PD and ED (4 Active Points); Does Not Work If Any Other Armor Or Clothing Is Worn (-1 1/2), Visible (-1/4) (total cost: 1 point). Total Cost: 4 points.

Woad II Creation Spell: 4 Active Points; Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain; enchanted pigments and ritual gear; -1 1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2), Gestures, (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Ritual Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4). Total cost: 1 point.

Notes: This is a low-fantasy version of the same.

If you wanted to include things like possible psychotropic effects, include a Side Effect (character always acquired Disadvantage Psychological Limitation: Overconfident And Delusional (Very Common, Strong) while the Armor lasts; -1). The fact that it's a Strong Psych Lim means that the character will need to make EGO rolls to avoid feeling Overconfident and/or Delusional. For the low fantasy version make it Side Effect (character always acquired Disadvantage Psychological Limitation: Overconfident And Delusional (Very Common, Moderate) while the Damage Reduction lasts; -1) instead - low fantasy characters have enough problems.

To get back on topic, I've been toying with a Bulletproof Nudity Talent (1 point of Armor for 1 point; 2 points of Armor for 3 points) that gives you Armor, Hardened when you go around in loincloth/bikini. You'd be able to buy one DEF of this Talent for each positive point of Comeliness you have over 10. Combine that with a modest amount of Combat Luck and you're golden.

Hero Designer Prefab File: Woad.hdp