Gas Giant Resources - Got Any?

ThothAmon

I'm trawling for fiction that deals with inhabitants of gas giants for a scenario idea. If you know of any I'd appreciate a brief note here so that I might dig a little deeper. ATM I have the following to hand:

'The Algebraist' by Ian M Banks

'The Many Worlds' stories by John Varley

Others?

Re: Gas Giant Resources - Got Any?

Poul Andersen's novel Three Worlds to Conquer has a major part of its action set on the surface of Jupiter, but you should know that it's more of a "planetary romance" story rather than hard science fiction. It doesn't break any laws of physics, and there are some nice observations about the physical and chemical conditions that would differ from what we're used to; but the aliens are more anthropomorphic than are usually depicted in more recent sci-fi on the subject.

IMHO it is a fun little novel. :)

A brief mention in 2010 by Clarke (titanic jellyfish-gasbags had serrated tentacles like "kilometer-long chainsaws".

I mentioned that one above.

BTW, does anyone know who first posited big balloon-like creatures living in the atmosphere of Jupiter? I've seen them all over the place (including some of the cites on this thread), but who came up with it first?

Keith "due credit" Curtis

Well, it's probably not the kind of information you want but there are examples in the Well World series (by Jack L. Chalker) and there are also examples in C. J. Cherryh's Chanur trilogy. The issue around both of these is more that they are not carbon-based so it's practically impossible to get a feel for the thought patterns, wants or desires. This would also mean an incredible amount of work for a GM.

Piers Anthony also makes passing reference in the setting for his Bio of a Space Tyrant, as I recall, describing floating creatures but I doubt that he is the source for the idea. (Sorry, Keith, no clue on the real origin of that one.)

You might want to look at Cherryh and Chalker for an idea about how bizarre the interactions with something so non-human can get.

Carl Sagan posited the idea of "floaters" in the atmosphere of Jupiter at one point ... I seem to recall this not later than the mid-1970's ... but whether that's the real origin of the idea I can't say.

Let's see if I can fire up a google window on my workstation when it is choked for memory...

I'm trawling for fiction that deals with inhabitants of gas giants for a scenario idea. If you know of any I'd appreciate a brief note here so that I might dig a little deeper.

Sorry... the best I can come up with for the population of gas giants is how many trucks there are in the parking lot of a Flying J truck stop!

~ducks~

Sorry... the best I can come up with for the population of gas giants is how many trucks there are in the parking lot of a Flying J truck stop!

~ducks~

If the drivers had been eating baked beans, that would be even more appropriate.

~joins you in ducking~

Thanks. It's been a long time since I read that.

If you are looking for a copy of the story, I recommend that you go to http://www.bookfinder.com and find a copy of Where Do We Go From Here? edited by Isaac Asimov. (they have about twenty copies for under $3)

Asimov selects stories illustrating basic scientific principles. After each story, he writes about the science involved, gives suggested science-fact reading if you want more, and poises open-ended questions.

Many of the stories could inspire Star Hero scenarios.

Table of contents:

A Martian Odyssey Stanley G. Weinbaum

Heavy Planet Milton A. Rothman

The Deep Range Arthur C. Clarke

The Day Is Done Lester del Rey

The Holes Around Mars Jerome Bixby

The Cave of Night James E. Gunn

The Big Bounce Walter S. Tevis

Proof Hal Clement

Night John W. Campbell, Jr.

A Subway Named Mobius A. J. Deutsch

Neutron Star Larry Niven

Omnilingual H. Beam Piper

Dust Rag Hal Clement

Surface Tension James Blish

"...And He Built a Crooked House" Robert A. Heinlein

Pâté de Foie Gras Isaac Asimov

Country Doctor William Morrison

Asimov selects stories illustrating basic scientific principles. After each story' date=' he writes about the science involved, gives suggested science-fact reading if you want more, and poises open-ended questions.[/quote']

I've read about 3/4 of those, and enjoyed them, but I'd question including "The Holes Around Mars" in that collection if that was Asimov's criteria. I mean, c'mon -- atmospheric friction, at the very least, not to mention all the solid objects it had drilled a hole through...where's the scientific principle that says it should still be orbiting?!?

I've read about 3/4 of those' date=' and enjoyed them, but I'd question including "The Holes Around Mars" in that collection if that was Asimov's criteria. I mean, c'mon -- atmospheric friction, at the very least, not to mention all the solid objects it had drilled a hole through...where's the [i']scientific principle[/i] that says it should still be orbiting?!?

I tend to agree. A person of suspicious mind would suspect that Asimov included it because of his well-known love of puns.

I've read about 3/4 of those' date=' and enjoyed them, but I'd question including "The Holes Around Mars" in that collection if that was Asimov's criteria. I mean, c'mon -- atmospheric friction, at the very least, not to mention all the solid objects it had drilled a hole through...where's the [i']scientific principle[/i] that says it should still be orbiting?!?

Actually I have that collection. And one of the questions he asks at the end is if this could really happen. Why or Why not? The broad subject is orbital mechanics, by taking to a ridiculous extreme, the reader can be shown the limits of the real world as opposed to idealized mathematics. Or something like that.

I loved answering those questions when I first read it.

Keith "A loooong time ago, now" Curtis