Updating Ethnic Superfriends

winterhawk

Originally posted by TheTemplar

You're not thinking of the Growth villain from the LoD, are you? I can't remember her name, but she ran around in leopard skins and always tangled w/ the Chief because they had more or less the same powerset.

-T

Nah. You're thinking about Giganta, a GA Wonder Woman supervillianess who was 'updated' (read: had her origin gutted and her abilities changed) to make her into Apache Chief's nemisis.

Jim's thinking about Rima, who had a blue leotard and white hair. And that's all I know about her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Updating Ethnic Superfriends

Originally posted by Enforcer84

Why, because he could ruin the poetry and pride that was "Black Vulcan"?

alright, that was petty.

But, if I might ask, why is it a fine line to make an ethnically based superhero?

Because they can so easily become ethnic 'stereotype' based supers. When your trying to base a power set around something like ethnicity you have to watch that you don't use 'racial profiling' to do it. Black Gangsta Rappers with 'berserk' (Cause all black men have anger management issues) who use 'Muther****er' every second word. Japanese Samuri with 'Kung Fu powers' (Mix in a little of every Eastern culture, their all the same aren't they?). Midweastern white man who is slackjawed, carries a shotgun, drives around in a pick-up and has an intolerance of anyone different called 'Redneck'. You see the idea.

Not that I'm saying that this has anything to do with what Winterhawk is doing, it's just a danger that can arise.

Then again I've heard on this board about people who enjoyed playing charatcers based on totally offensive racial sterotypes (I believe the mexican called Coackroach was one) so some people get some cathasis out of this Sh**. I suppose you just need to understand your fellow gamers and whether they might be offended at this or not.

Personally the next time someone brings an MA into my game whose origin is 'He's Asian' I'm going to have words with him.

And don't get me started about Australian supers and boomerangs.

Granted, but this is about updating the Superfriend's "tokens"; that's what they were too, sure they didn't have stereotypical superpowers but their names and costumes were horrifingly stereotyped.

Apache Chief? Black Vulcan? Samurai? El Dorado?

Do you really need to see a picture of these guys to know which one was of what nationality? That was the running joke in the original thread and then I started one asking if they could come up with less hackneyed names and back grounds for them, Winterhawk took it and ran.

I still don't see where his actions warrented a lecture on ethnic sensitivity, even if it was a one sentence "watch yourself" warning.

anyway, I am probably over reacting, I do that, and I tend to snipe, so I apologize in advance if this is looking that way to you. I've said my piece and now I leave the soapbox...thingy.

Hey! 500 posts! I am half way to the Millenium Club!

of course when I arrive, they will all be at the Bimillenium club and I will be left alone, no Buffy Babes to bring me drinks....*sigh*

I always used to find it amusing in some of the (ahem) less innovative comics that while Good Old Uncle U.S of Stateside (the former colonies...) had a plethora of varied superheroes inspired by diverse concepts, origins, themes etc, the cast list for non-American supers tended to be based around nation/culture and little else. Samurai based or (preserve us) Kamikaze based Japanese heroes, "British Bulldog" and an abundance of knights in armour for England etc etc.

Of course taking those preconceptions, changing them, and playing with them can be fun, but I agree it's important to handle the issue sensitively. I still cringe when I look back on Marvel's Power Man and his 'authentic' dialogue.

Shoot.

Christmas.

etc.

Originally posted by "V"

Of course taking those preconceptions, changing them, and playing with them can be fun, but I agree it's important to handle the issue sensitively. I still cringe when I look back on Marvel's Power Man and his 'authentic' dialogue.

Shoot.

Christmas.

etc.

They made a joke about that in the last Heroes for Hire series. They were fighting the U-Foes and Ironclad was mocking Cage for his exclamations.

"...you even swear like a wuss."

"My Grandma didn't like me to curse..."

Cage flattens Ironclad with one punch

"...and she's a lot meaner than you."

Re: Updating Ethnic Superfriends

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

No, no, no. Australian supers should be NINJAS! :D

At least Seeker broke stereotypes... then again there are those who say Australia should consider itself part of Asia, and all Asians are Martial Artists ... damn.

Shoulda know my players we're too big of fan boys...they had it nailed as soon as Stonecloud grew...and my one player who is a Silver Age nut let me have it for not using Rima...he quoted all 3 of the episodes that she teamed up with 'regular' Superfriends. Extra experience for all.