Variable Power Pools

Manic Typist

Just a quick question about those.

I have been interested in testing them out, yet I am a bit confused.

I think I understand the gist, but my GM claims that he likes to avoid VPPs.

The reason I find this confusing is that to me it looks like a reasonable way to allow characters to build their wizards' spells. That's how I've seen most of you guys draw up character sheets at least, of those posted. The GM makes us buy them as individual powers.

Now, I have no problem with this, but, as a GM, I have been considering letting my Fantasy campaigners buy spells via a VPP. I haven't had a chance to disucss in detail with the other GM, so I was wondering what sort of abuse or loopholes or gamebreaking aspects there are to VPPs that I should look out for, etc.

Oh, and this is for a Heroic level, 75+75 point campaign.

Re: Variable Power Pools

The problem most GMs have with VPPs is that they can conceivably contain any power in the book (well, except those not allowed in Frameworks, and even then it only takes GM permission).

While, it's not a terrible problem since changing a slot takes time and skill it does mean that a PC can tailor their VPP at the begining of a scenario.

Now, what GMs really don't like are Cosmic VPPs - which allow power tailoring on the fly.

And it has the potential to slow the game down immensely when a player has to sit there and rewrite all their powers whenever they want to change something.

There's a high Game Breaker potential and a much higher PITA potential. Which is why many GMs don't like them.

Guest daeudi_454

I only allow prebuilt powers in VPPs. Even Cosmic ones. That way I never have to wait more thn 30 secs But if the player can have the power built in between other characters actions and his own, I usually let them do it. My in-game reasoning is that if they can't think of it fast enough, neither can their characters. This way they can do anything they have done before, but new stuff takes a bit more.

Regading abuse- players are generally restricted to no STOP powers in a VPP either.

Example of why GMs hate them: The team has been captured. Instead of following thhe plot and making contact with another prisoner, the wizard just says- oh, well... Desol for everybody, let's leave.

Example 2: Eventually some wise-*** is just going to say "Extradimensional Movement, Usable as an attack,ranged, AOE: 1 hex, to the Negative Prime Material Plane."

And I just thought that it would be inappropriate for most of my magic systems...... since they are learned SPELLS......... not inherent powers. A psionicist is another matter.........

Demons, and certain kinds of magic, as well as elementals, that would be more appripriate for a VPP.

Still, do VPPs make it cheaper to afford spells?

'Cause then I could allow them to do it with the restriction of "Only with learned spells -1" and still let them save some points for elsewhere.

And..... what is PITA?

When I ran a character with a VPP I created all my 'spells' well before game time and cleared everything with the GM so there would be no misunderstandings during play.

The problem most GMs I've delt with is that the GM can't control what you do with your VPP. But that's not the real problem, most just can't figure out how they work and won't take the time to learn.

Now a creative player can ruin your plot, but if you allow a VPP you need to expect the player to get a little crazy sometimes.

Now in my Fantasy games I allow VPPs, but they all have to have a slew of limitations like limited special effects, gestures, incantations, concentration, and requires a skill roll.

"Only Learned Spells" is not a valid lim for a VPP. You cannot limit the pool, only the control cost. You can limit it by requiring any number of conditions to change the content of the pool, but the actual content is limited by SFX and character conception.

Keith "Unless the GM says otherwise, as always" Curtis

IME, VPP's can work well for heroic games, but they need a lot of GM oversight.(Like everyone else have mentioned) and frankly, at the point level you're playing at, they'll be hideously expensive for their utility.

If you like the mechanisim, I'd suggest using a Spell Talent + Spell Skills system and dispensing with buying individual spells entirely. Say, around 6-8 classes of magic, each with its own skill, and a "Magic Talent" that determines the base pool AP limit... maybe 3 pool points per point spent on the talent. There are a ton of different ways to do it, but actually buying it as a normal rules VPP will limit all PC spell casters to, realistically, around 40-50 AP VPP's if you also expect them to have skills & stats. Which means there will be a lot of spell effects they won't have the points for.

Expect that if they don't already know munchkin-fu, they will learn while trying to operate within this structure.

"Only Learned Spells" is not a valid lim for a VPP. You cannot limit the pool' date=' only the control cost. You can limit it by requiring any number of conditions to change the [i']content[/i] of the pool, but the actual content is limited by SFX and character conception.

Keith "Unless the GM says otherwise, as always" Curtis

Don't see why that couldn't be a limit on the control... I've used it quite a few times. It's basically a "Pool changes limited to a set of established power constructs" limitation... If a caster wants to do something new with their VPP they either need to finds a source to teach them how to do it (Archmage, spell college, spellbook) or do some spell research.

Don't see why that couldn't be a limit on the control... I've used it quite a few times. It's basically a "Pool changes limited to a set of established power constructs" limitation... If a caster wants to do something new with their VPP they either need to finds a source to teach them how to do it (Archmage' date=' spell college, spellbook) or do some spell research.[/quote']

You are right. I just looked it up rather than rely on my faulty memory. It varies from -1/4 to -1, depending on the narrowness of the power group.

Keith "Goldangit! Now I gotta read FREd again!" Curtis

VPP's can be VERY powerful because not only can they contain any power that the special effect can justify(which "wizard spells" can justify pretty much anything) but if you're good at crunching the numbers, you can do some REALLY nasty stuff and often can exceed set campaign limits for DEF, DC or any number of other things. For example, you cast a spell that AIDS your STR, then cast another to give you an HA bonus - suddenly the wizard rears back and hits a guy for 15D6 - and you only need a 30 point pool to do it. On the other hand, if you aren't very familiar with the system and either ready with a cheat sheet or capable of crunching numbers in a hurry, a VPP can overwhelm a less experienced player and/or totally bog the game down. It's INCREDIBLY powerful in the right hands - but in the wrong hands it bogs the game down quickly.

Also, in a Fantasy Hero type game, by making all magic one VPP, it reduces some roleplaying options - who cares about getting into another mage's library or discovering a long lost tome of magic - your character can already do anything in the book anyway - if he has enough points in his VPP. This is fine in a superheroes game, but not so good in a Fantasy setting. For a fantasy setting, I would say have separate VPPs for each "school" of magic - and make people pay points for knowing "spell formulas". It requires a bit of work sorting out how it functions and can require some rule tweaking but it's worth it in the long run IMO.

OK, I have a well documented aversion to frameworks of any stripe BUT sometimes they are just what you need.

What you have to ask yourself is this: what magic system do I want? Then you build it. It might be that VPP is the way to go. The point about a VPP though is that, subject to the limitations you impose, they can be used to make up new and different spells there and then, if that is what you want: magic as a very freeform 'can do practically anything' sort of thing then VPP is the way to go.

Consider alternatives though. Personally I like the multipower: more limited than VPP, certainly, better defined, still a powerful option, but, generally, you'll only be able to run one or two spells at a time with a MP: using a VPP you can potentially run quite a lot, with the right limitations.

Of course, if you are using limitations common to all the spells you cast, a MP is also going to be cheaper to buy, potentially, than a VPP.

You could use elemental controls too: far more expensive, but potentially a lot of utility there.

You can even make up your own rules for magic costing if you want, like FH does.

What it comes down to though is what I started with: job one is to decide what you want your magic system to do, and what you want your players to be able to with it. THEN build up it.

Stuff to remember:

1. Think about how common you want magic to be: if a lot of people have access to it then balance issues tend to be less pronounced.

2. Think about whether effects you can create with magic can be duplicated with technology or otherwise - if they can, balance issues will be less pronounced

3. Think about active point costs and DCs of damaging powers - if your Magic Attacks can only do as much damage as common weapons, balance issues will be less pronounced

4. Think about the SPECIFICS of what you want magic to do, including flavour - is it a subtle art used mainly to sway mens minds, or a rampage of power used to tear down castle walls? If it can do one or the other the balance issues will be less pronounced than if it can do ANYTHING

5. Be aware of all the players needs: you don't want magic being able to solve every problem unless everyone has magic - it needs some limits, in terms of number of uses, visibility, or whatever...if it usurps the role of the other PCs something is not being done right.

Good luck....

Also, in a Fantasy Hero type game, by making all magic one VPP, it reduces some roleplaying options - who cares about getting into another mage's library or discovering a long lost tome of magic - your character can already do anything in the book anyway - if he has enough points in his VPP. This is fine in a superheroes game, but not so good in a Fantasy setting. For a fantasy setting, I would say have separate VPPs for each "school" of magic - and make people pay points for knowing "spell formulas". It requires a bit of work sorting out how it functions and can require some rule tweaking but it's worth it in the long run IMO.

Ah, but see, I wouldn't allow that at all. The VPP is just a mechanism explaining the cost of what I allow them. I would only allow them to use spells that they had learned. Thus, they might want another mage's books so they could learn more spells.

Great stuff guys, keep it coming!

To me, the problem with any framework for magic spells is that they eliminate the ability to have very powerful, but very limited, spells.

Let's assume your campaign norm is 50 AP, so a wizard with a 75 point VPP is way up there (and VERY expensive).

However, you want the occasional rare and esoteric spell. Let's assume you want a "Demonslayer" spell. Demons are very powerful, and the spell needs to kill one on the spot. The Arch-Demon in the plot has 10 rDEF and 20 BOD. Killing him instantly requires inflicting 50 BOD :eek:. Now, a 15d6 RKA would do that on average, so let's say you handwave that as being your Demonslayer spell. That's 225 AP. And it needs to be Accurate, so that makes it

Of course, you will slap a horde of limitations on it, both to reduce its cost and to ensure demons can still be a viable threat. Nigh-irreplaceable OAF components (-3), Extra Time (say -1), Concentration throughout (-1), Gest and Incant throughout (-1), only able to be cast in a specific place/time (say another -2), no STUN multiple (-1), only vs Demons (say -2) and some other miscellaneous limitations bringing it to a -14 in aggregate, so the real cost is 15 points.

If we buy spells individually, the wizard needs to cough up a not insignificant 15 points (5 points if we are using Turakian Age rules). That, at least, can be done. [And we can always fiat that the spell has a Side Effect that transforms the wizard into "wizard who doesn't know how to cast that spell but gets his 15 xp back".]

But you're never going to squeeze that sucker into a VPP or a Multipower.

I think for the average Spell a VPP or Multipower is good, but for the rare esoteric spells (such as the aformention Demon Slayer Spell) allowing them outside the Frameworks is a good idea.

Alternately if it's supposed to be a one-shot, simply put it on a scroll and allow that Scrolls are 1 Charge Spells, no AP limit.

In fact.. I'd make a Talent: Scroll Pool, that a character can set aside a pool of points used to purchase these 1 Shot Spells, the spell disappears when it's used but the Pool of Character Points sticks around for use with another Scroll.

My example is a bit extreme. My concern, however, is that when spells are purchased via VPP or Multipower, the spell AP's tend to rise to the top of the AP available in the pool. This is especially true in a VPP if the spells generally have lots of limitations anyway so several can be in the VPP at any one time. After all, if my VPP is 45 points, why should I have a 7d6 EB - Mystic Bolt - may as well bump it to 9d6.

In fairness, if you restruct them to spells they have learned (and not to research themselves , or at least not easily) then you can ensure that there is a mix of DC's of spells. If it has too many AP, you're not a good enough mage to learn it (ie it doesn't fit in your VPP). It's certainly a workable approach - it just creates a different feel - and "do I like the feel" is the whole point of selecting an approach.

If you are afraid the character will go hog wild in creating spells you can make each spell a seperate skill roll required to cast that spell. Effectively an activation roll, but costs points outside the pool rather than lowering the active points of the power.

After all, you only use the real point cost when determining how many powers you can have active at one time and with enough limitation you could have 4 to 6 powers going at one time.

As an example, 20pt VPP Magic (powers can be changed as a half-phase action +1/2) Active: 20, Real 35.

Skin of Ar-Luz, purple and green gragon scale armor that covers the caster: 6PD/6ED Armor, Activation roll 13- (-3/4, this is for the armor to activate against attacks, not the powewr to activate), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Costs End, only to activate (-1/4), Requires a skill roll (-1/2).(Active:18, Real:6) End 2

Shield of Arna, a shimmering light field that forms an aura around the caster: +3 w/ DCV; Costs End (-1/2), Extra time, delayed phase, only to activate (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a skill roll (-1/2).(Active:18, Real:6) End 1

Wings of Beleth, feathered wings that sprout from the casters back allowing flight: Flight 10"; gestures (both paws, complex, -3/4), Incantation (-1/4), Increased End Cost (x2 END, -1/2), Restrainable (only by means of Grabs or Entangles, -1/4), Rewquires a Skiill Roll (-1/2).(Active:20, Real:6) End 4

Sting of Ar-Luz, a large yellow wasp comes into being and speeds at the target; EB 2 1/2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Gestures (requires both paws, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2), Limited Range (20 inches, -1/4). (Active:19, Real:8) End 2

Vapor Shroud, creates a cloud of vapors that block vision: Darkness to sight groupv 2" radius, Consentration (1/2 DCV, -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations ( Complex, -1/2), Extra Time (delayed Phase, Only to activate, -1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2). (Active:20, Real:7) End 2

Nimble Fingers, allows the caster to open simple mechanical locks, requires the caster to use normal lockpick: Lockpicking 16-, Gestures throughout (Requires Both Paws, Complex, -1 1/2), Consentration (0DCV, Character is unaware of nearby events, -3/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF, lockpicks (-1), Costs End (-1/2), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2).(Active:17, Real:3) End 2

Charm of Arna, grants the caster unearthly charm and appearance; +10 Presence; Costs End (-1/2)Increased End Cost (x2 End, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase,Only to activate, -1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2). Plus: +10 Comeliness; Costs End (-1/2)Increased End Cost (x2 End, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, Only to activate -1/4), Power only works in common circumstances (only against those physically attracted to the caster's gender, -1/2), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2). (Active:15, Real:4) End 4

Speed of the Deeer, enables the caster to run very fast: Running 5" (11" total), 8x Noncombat; Gestures (Required Both Paws, -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Restrainable (Only with Grabs and Entangles, -1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2).(Active:20, Real:8) End 2

Haste, increases the reaction time of recipients; =1 Speed, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once, +1); Gestures (Requires both Paws, Complex (-3/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, only to activate -1/4), Costs End (Only to Activate, -1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2).(Active:20, Real:8) End 2

Spell Skills:

Skin of Ar-Luz, Int+2, 7pts

Shield of Arna, Int+1, 5pts

Wings of Beleth, Int, 3pts

Sting of Ar-Luz, Int+1, 5pts

Vapor Shroud, Int, 3pts

Nimble Fingers, Int, 3pts

Charm of Arna, Int+2, 7pts

Speed of the Deer, Int, 3pts

Haste, Int+2, 7pts

Cost of VPP, Control, and skills: 108pts

The Skill Enhancer Mage, Wizard, or Enchanter would reduce the cost of each skill by one point bringing the total cost down to 99pts. Increasing the number of powers is a function of adding skills rather than buying more slots.

Since there are no limitations on the VPP the character can invent variations of the same spell with diffurrent limitations on the spell, having a spell that requires no Gestures, but complex Incatations works for when you are bound. No incantations, but complex gestures that require both paws for when you need to be quiet, but aren't being observed is also spiffy.

You can also increase the VPP itself to have more powers active at one time. You don;t have to let the player increase the powers to match the pool.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Im a little late to this party, but in case this is still an issue, Ill weigh in.

Personally, I find VPP's to be a very useful tool to design Magic Systems, but with the assumption of responsible use. In the hands of an inept or abusive GM or player VPP's can absolutely wreck a game.

However, the real concern behind VPP's is that all Magic Systems need to be controlled or checked is some way or else characters that use those Systems are better than other types of characters that have static abilities. The center of gravity here is not actually VPP's as a construct -- it is the underlying need for there to be some sort of boundaries on all means to power to enable a story to be told, a game to be played, and for challenges to be presented.

The essential control mechanism for the HERO System is the finite resource of Character Points. Eventually, a player runs out of points and when they are done spending them all they have a static character with set abilities. Even if they use various options to open up their flexibility, such as Multipowers, Variable SFX / Advantages, open ended Powers such as Images and Summon, or what have you at the end of the day their abilities are still finite.

The Variable Power Pool is the only mechanism to go beyond this inherent boundary and thus for them to work some other means of control must be implemented by the GM. Fortunately there are a wide variety of controls that a canny GM can employ.

The most obvious form of control is the dynamics of relative scale. I.e. -- the ability of the GM to simply out scale the power of the PC's by making more powerful NPC's. A character with a Cosmic VPP might be dangerous and difficult to stop by equivalently powerful characters, but squashed like a bug by even more powerful characters. I don't dwell on this option because it is the crudest and least successful option -- a tool of diminishing return that leads to rampant power scaling and eventual collapse. GM's that have employed this means of control (or seen it employed as players) and seen it backfire are often rightfully loathe to employ it again, and if it is the only way they know of to exert control then they are left unwilling to allow VPPs and other similar expansive abilities.

Fortunately there are many more useful forms of applying control to a Magic System that can be used to allow powerful options, while still establishing stability and boundaries. I discuss many of them in this document:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/shrikeMagicDesign.shtml#ControlFactors

Theory aside, I have several different Magic Systems on my site that use VPP's in various ways; three distinct implementations and each supporting variants.

The original and most supported by content is the "Vancian" Magic System I did to model D&D style Magic, which is used by several flavors to model Wizardry, Clerical, Druidic, Bardic, Paladin and Ranger Spells. It's primary control mechanism is that it is single CHARGE per Spell based, which puts a strong form of Volume & Frequency Control. It also has a lot of overhead costs in the form of numerous required Skills that are an effective Opportunity Cost Control and the use of those Skills and time to learn new Spells is a form of Acquisition Control, and finally a required minimum of -1 in Limitations from a set list applies a form of Castability Control.

There is also a variant of this provided that I call "Arcanis Magnicus" that has more of a Cosmic feel to it, but which is correspondingly more expensive in character points (higher Opportunity Cost). It uses an idea I call "Spell Level Gestalt" to allow the casting of X Spells of the same Spell Level per day, without specifying WHICH Spells they are on a given day like Wizardry does.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicSystems/vancian.shtml

Another completely unrelated VPP based form of Magic provided is another Conversion; this one from the 2nd Edition of the Warhammer FRPG, which I refer to generically as "Loremastery". Loremastery operates under numerous Control Factors; the relatively high cost of the VPP model is a form of Opportunity Cost Control. The requirement for exclusive access Talents is a form of Access Control. A custom Luck based target number resolution is a form of Reliability Control, and the associated custom "Curse of Tzeentch" effect is a form of Impact Control. Finally the direct correlation between "Magic Rating" ranking system and the size of a character's VPP Pool is a form of Point Cap Control.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/ConversionWH2e/conversionWH2eMagic.shtml

Finally, yet another model of VPP Magic is available in a setup I refer to as Adeptology, which is a full blown Cosmic VPP. Extremely powerful, it still has a stiff form of Frequency Control applied via mandatory END costs and Long Term Endurance costs incurred when using more than half of a character's available Pool. It also suffers from Opportunity Cost Control via the steep cost of the mandatory Variable Power Pool, and a form of Access Control via mandatory Access Talent(s). It is also strongly recommended that Applicablity Controls be enforced by a GM to differentiate "Arcane" and "Divine" Magic by manipulating how much of a Pool can be used for different types of Powers, and some Powers that are not permitted outright such as EDM.

Three variants are provided for this type of Magic; a form based on stealing the life forces of others to fuel Magic called Thanomancy, a more typical straight up Arcane Magic user type called Volomancy, and finally a Divine variant based upon pantheistic anceastor worship called Urzadrek.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicSystems/Adeptology.shtml

Additionally it can be useful to compare VPP based Magic Systems against other ways of doing Magic. In addition to the 12 or so presented in the current version of Fantasy HERO, I provide a broad array here on my site. The following document is handy for comparing and contrasting them:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/shrikeMagicSystemAdvisor.shtml

As a GM, I have a rule that only players experienced with the Hero System can have VPPs.

Really depends on how much of your energy as a GM do you want to spend dealing with VPP mechanics in addition to all the other stuff you're juggling.

There are two issues here, mechanical and gameplay. Mechanically, a new player who is not conversant with the rules can easily bog down play using a VPP (and, in fairness, many other constructs could be worse than a VPP with relevant limitations, esp. thos restructing time and place of VPP recalibration).

But experience with Hero system does not guarantee the player won't apply Munchkin tendencies to the VPP abilities, which is more probematic in the long run. My current character, who has a VPP, also has a "soft rule" that any attempt to manifest a power different from what he's used in the past and established as fairly standard is subject to GM override - he just can't figure out how to do that on the fly. "I the player" have also seen some pretty obvious answers to dealing with threats and opponents which the character likely wouldn't think of, so the VPP stays in what it was in before. Maybe if the issue recurs, I'll start making INT rolls at -5 (then -4 and so on) and suggest that my character is starting to consider ways of dealing with this, but having a character who has all the answers all the time would get pretty boring very fast.

There are two issues here, mechanical and gameplay. Mechanically, a new player who is not conversant with the rules can easily bog down play using a VPP (and, in fairness, many other constructs could be worse than a VPP with relevant limitations, esp. thos restructing time and place of VPP recalibration).

But experience with Hero system does not guarantee the player won't apply Munchkin tendencies to the VPP abilities, which is more probematic in the long run.

That's true. I didn't get into munchkinism because my solution to that is a lot simpler: tell the munchkin to knock it off or they're out.

In the interest of full discosure, I should point out that I'm running a character with a fairly extensive VPP of gadgets that can only be changed out of combat.

My character, Dr. Anomaly, has two VPPs -- a 75 point Gadget pool and a 35 point Magic pool. Both of them can be changed as half-phase actions, though given that changing a big (75 Active) item in the Gadget pool nets a -7 on the Skill roll, I generally only do the changes in a lab, with tools, extra time, and so on -- but if I need to rebuild something on the spot in the field, I can at least attempt it.

When my character isn't "on camera", I spend my time fiddling with points, concepts, and so on. At any given time I've got between 10 and 20 ideas to try and build/write up (that's for Gadgets and Magic combined). I'm perfectly capable of listening to what's going on (and enjoying the game) while working silently with paper, pencil, and calculator. In this way, I make good use of time even when I'm not "on camera", and there's a good chance that, when the need for a particular device or spell comes up in play, I'll have already tinkered it together so the "lag time" is next to zero.

Once I have things finalized to my liking, I type them up, formatted to fit on those sheets of microperfed business cards, and then print them out. I keep these in a small card case for easy reference. When equipping myself for a mission, I just go through the stack of cards, pull what I want, tally the points (to make sure I don't exceed the Real Points of the pool) and I'm good to go. When an item is used up (and most are one-shot potions or scrolls, or have a limited power supply if it's a gadget) I return the card to the card case.

And if I have to make changes or mods in the field, I don't bog things down...I've got 15+ years of experience with Champions, and most of that GMing it, so I'm good and creating things quickly and on the fly.

Here's some examples (front and back) of what a formatted card looks like after I've printed it out:

------------------------ Front ---------------------------------------------------------- Back ---------------------------

card1.png

card4.png

card2.png

card3.png

I'm using VPPs in my current FH game. The problems with VPPs (unlimited flexibility, time wasted out "figuring out" a power, etc) are essentially avoided by the dodge already mentioned - only "already learned" spells are allowed. This lets the players swap in and out already defined powers, which is not too hard. I let players create new spells - by permission - but that requires the approriate skills, and in-game research, finding useful icky bits of monsters, etc. That keeps it under control. Also the "only learned spells" thing makes mages almost pathological in their search for old manuscripts, hidden knowledge and other people's spellbooks - which is as it should be :D

Essentially, this gives the mage a multipower with a potentially unlimited number of slots (but it tends to start off weak). In addition, the average VPP with "mage limitations" (gestures, incantation, etc etc) can normally run 2-4 spells at full power, which is not generally the case with a multi. There are some downsides, however. The pool cost can't (and shouldn't) be limited, meaning that a VPP in a heroic level game costs a significant chunk o'points. A 150 point character rarely gets over 30 AP in their pool, which means no "instant killer" spells. Of course from my point of view, that's a feature, not a bug :D

In short, as long as the GM knows what he want and knows what he's doing, VPPs can work fine in a fantasy setting.

cheers, Mark