Lost in a crowd

Dust Raven

Re: Lost in a crowd

I'm so saticefied with this Thread. I feel closure. I have reached a state of Thread-completeness, that I never thought was possible. Totally. I mean, do you feel that? Do you? It's so omni-tangible. It can't just be me.

And yet, I want to keep talking about it. It's weird. Closure is so final. How can man exist without mysteries? I guess now we'll find out.

Wow, this is so exciting! :)

I'm so saticefied with this Thread. I feel closure. I have reached a state of Thread-completeness, that I never thought was possible. Totally. I mean, do you feel that? Do you? It's so omni-tangible. It can't just be me.

And yet, I want to keep talking about it. It's weird. Closure is so final. How can man exist without mysteries? I guess now we'll find out.

no sarcasm here ... nope. none. at. all. :straight:

thread.join()

Sorry. A little CS humor. :D

The ability to "completely" disappear with NO chance of anyone seeing him seems to run contrary to the HERO ground rule that NOTHING is absolute and to everything there is a counter. Have you considered that?

Not an absolute absolute. It's no chance of anyone only useing senses X, Y and Z. Anyone using other senses might find him normally.

As it is, I've talked with the player and he like the idea of using uber Shadowing. There's a chance someone with normal senses can find him, but they've got a snowball's chance in hell of doing so. What's better, using the Skill actually makes it harder for the sensory platform hero (based on Jim from The Sentinel) to find him if he runs through a crowd (not only gets his Shadowing roll, but gets a bonus for running into a crowd).

The ability to "completely" disappear with NO chance of anyone seeing him seems to run contrary to the HERO ground rule that NOTHING is absolute and to everything there is a counter. Have you considered that?

Quite! Repped. This assumption is always part of my decisions when building with Hero. While it may be "practically impossible" to see him, it is not a flat out absolute, nor would I have ever considered it such. To that end, that is why going with the Skill route seemed more appropriate.

Thanks for station only what I'd allowed to be assumed. :thumbup:

Of course, being Invisible would certainly help in following people unoticed...

Maybe: it might in fact be surprisingly hard to move through a crowd unnoticed if the rest of the crowd can't see you: people will keep trying to step into the gap that is, in fact, you :)

Maybe: it might in fact be surprisingly hard to move through a crowd unnoticed if the rest of the crowd can't see you: people will keep trying to step into the gap that is' date=' in fact, you :)[/quote']

If we were to go the Invisibility route, that wouldn't have been a problem. The normal Fringe effect of Invisibility would have taken care of that, or if I wanted something more I could have put a -1/4 Visible Within Fringe (a variation of Bright Fringe) and all would be good. The original idea is that he would be completely unnoticed unless you were standing right next to him.

Invisibility does take this into account - you need to use other senses.

Considering that you can't become invisible to Touch (without GM permission, and if he does that he's daft) then Spacial Awareness: Touch Group finds Mr Invisible right quick.

I have a character who has Invisibility bought to the nth degree (everything, all of it, no fringe) and they can be found by Touch and Touch alone. It comes up enough to be a PITA, but most of the time the character can get away with some crazy stuff.

Basically, I don't want him located on any kind of a PER Roll made with Normal Sight (or most senses made with the Sight Group). He just blends in and dissappears. Concealments allows for a Skill versus PER Roll contest, so while it might work most of the time, a botched roll would defeat the SFX of it being automatic.

Just as further grist for the mill: The ability is "just" being very skilled at blending into crowds, correct? He has thousands of years of experience doing it, and so should be good at it. Personally I'd buy it as him being skilled, rather than buying it as a power. Yes, your average observer will have little chance of finding him. But if you build someone who has just as much experience finding people in crowds as this guy has at hiding in them, you'll have to buy him a detect or something, rather that just making him good at finding people. I'd rather keep things simple, but then again I'm like that. If you'd rather people that are good at finding people have the power Detect People in Crowds (or somesuch), that's cool too.