Need Help With a Name

Supreme

I've got a character I'm making for a Golden Age game. The hero name is "Sergeant Victory" (tentative if you want to suggest alternatives). SV is a boxer of legend-worthy ability who retired early and funnelled his prize-money into a very successful engineering firm. The firm does a lot of defense contracting and worked up a "bullet-resistant" material which was abandoned because it wasn't cost effective. SV took the remaining experimental material and fashioned a star-spangled costume (attached) and now gives the Axis a one-two for America! What I need help with is his secret ID name -- and nickname. See, he's an ex-prize fighter. So I'm looking to make a name/nickname combination that sounds like one of those cool boxing nicknames (i.e., Evander "the Real Deal" Holyfield). I have the following restrictions:

• The name should be Irish, but not obviously so. Boxers from the time were mostly Irish or Jewish (IIRC).
  • Each name should be one or two syllables. The whole name should not be more than three syllables (not counting the nickname). I think that keeps within the genre of the times. Bruce Wayne. Steve Rogers. Alan Scott.
  • The character's last name will become the name of the engineering firm that he starts with money from his prize-fights. Thus [name] + Engineering should sound like a credible Engineering firm from the times (not like "O'Reilly Engineering").

The nickanme does not have to have any relation to the super-hero name (if you want to suggest one). I'm not a big fan of the nickname-becomes-the-super-hero-name convention. It's a bit silly, and seems to make for a really weak secret identity cover. Still, if you come up with something cool...

Best real life boxer nicnames: Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns, "Hands of Stone" Roberto Duran, and James "Bonecrusher" Smith. Moe "Kid Presentable" Sizlak. Okay, so that last one is not from the real life, but I had to squeeze in my daily Simpsons reference.

A little war influence on the name might help.

"Air Raid" Tony Lynch

"The Brooklyn Bomber" Butch Holt

Ray "U.S." Steel

"Howitzer" Al Cross

Lou "The Hook" Carmichael

Sam "Shellshock" Hope

I kinda like "U.S. Steel" as a nickname, personally. Though U.S. also works with the last name of Bonds.

Good stuff, Blue. Come to think of it, the campaign city is "Comet City" (was New London, until it was struck by a comet on New Year's Eve, 1900). So maybe "the Comet City Crusher" as a nickname. I like "Ray Steel" as a name, but it's already taken by a prominent DNPC. Also, I want it to be a bit more blue-collar (no pun intended). So far my favorite names are Sam Hope, Joe Malloy, and Al Cross. Maybe Sam "the Comet City Crusher" Cross, or is that too many Cs?

Nick "Fist of God" Hardcastle

Phillip "Judgment day" Hayes

Sal "Battering Ram" Cole

Mark "The Saint" Del Santo (Okay, this guy was a boxer AND mafia in my game)

Ron "Executioner" Hexton

Jack "Battery" Flannery

Mike "The Defendant" Tyson

"The People versus" Mike Tyson

Okay, maybe not those last two.

Doesn't mean Supreme's charcter can't be Mike Moran too.

As I like "the Comet City Crusher", please assume that is the nickname for these gents.

Joe Casey (spot the Casey Jones/Engineer reference! Perhaps they called him Casey Joe by mistake once and it stuck because of the folk-hero. It also alliterates with his nickname.)

Jim O'Dea (pronounced O'Day. Bit dull, but mileage from people getting his name wrong. If people say it "O D", sounds like a drugs reference!)