Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 1) Charge +0 -2 13d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove

5 2) Flying Grab -2 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 65 STR for holding on; FMove

4 3) Monkey Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

5 4) Monkey's Grappling Block +1 +1 Grab One Limb, Block

3 5) Grappling Throw +0 +2 13d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

4 6) Crush and Tear +0 +0 15d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

4 7) Ape Escape +0 +0 70 STR vs. Grabs

Giant Ape Style Note: Kong doesn't just fight the Rexes, he kung-fu fights them. His is the original Monkey Style.

Cost Powers END

8 Thick Hide: Damage Resistance (10 PD/6 ED) Note: Takes small arms fire and Tyranosaur bites while showing little pain and with minimal bleeding. The bigger guns on the planes are obviously hurting him. 0

60 Massive Bulk I: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% 0

60 Massive Bulk II: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% 0

12 Ape-Weight: Knockback Resistance -6" 0

6 Cinematic Ape: Life Support (Longevity: 400 Years; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) Note: Jungle heat and winter ice don't make much difference to Kong. His longevity is implied, as he seems to be the last of his species. 0

5 Monkey Jump: Leaping 0" (11" forward, 5 1/2" upward) (Accurate) Note: Kong never seems to have trouble landing just where he wants to when he leaps. 1

24 Acceler-Ape: Running +12" (18" total) Note: Kong has no trouble catching up to a speeding car, albeit a speeding car in 1933 under poor driving conditions. 2

16 Big Swinger: Swinging 16" Note: Kong can clearly swing quite well from those long arms, but we don't really see him do it as much as we see him leaping and charging. 2

6 Monkey-Climbs: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Climbing Skill; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only surfaces that could reasonably be climbed by a giant monkey; -1/4) Note: Kong climbs quite a bit faster than the 1" per phase the Climbing skill allows; this seemed like a good way to reflect that. 0

12 Keen Ape Senses: +4 PER with all Sense Groups 0

10 Great Big Ape: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only for making PRE attacks; -1) Note: Kong is huge and brave, but several times in the film he is startled or cowed. This extra PRE represents roars and dominance displays.

8 Big Ape Reach: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4)

Skills

6 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Mountain) 13- Note: Finding food and shelter seems to be no problem for Kong, and he must be eating quite a bit.

3 Tracking 13- Note: Kong has no trouble finding Ann

3 AK: Skull Island 13-

3 PS: Giant Ape 13-

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Tactics 13- Note: He repeatedly takes on multiple foes and wins

5 Defense Maneuver I-II Note: Multiple foes are no problem for Kong, but he can be surprised.

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 288

Total Cost: 458

200+ Disadvantages

10 Physical Limitation: Near-Human Intelligence Frequently, Slightly Impairing

10 Physical Limitation: 25 feet tall, weighs around 14 tons or more (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing) Note: In Kong’s normal life, this is Infrequently a problem. If he were living in NY, it would be a problem all the time.

20 Distinctive Features: Gigantic ape. (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Enraged: When challenged or in combat (Very Common), go 11-, recover 11-

20 Psychological Limitation: In love with Ann (Common, Total) Note: This disad was probably Lonely before he met Ann. It also makes sense to class Ann as a DNPC; she is after all used to trap him.

173 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 458

Background/History: Kong appears to be the one of the last of his kind, though we know that there were at least a few other giant gorillas on Skull Island. He was worshiped by the natives of that island, which meant that he was given regular human sacrifices. Ann Darrow managed to fascinate and charm Kong, to the point that he willingly became her protector. After his capture, he was taken to New York City, where he was eventually killed while trying to escape.

Personality/Motivation: He was a king in his own land. Or, at least, free and functioning very well. He seemed lonely, and took strongly to Ann Darrow, though whether he saw her as a pet or, unlikely as it seems, a potential mate is hard to say. He killed when challenged without hesitation, except in the case of Ann. It is not clear why he spared Ann when he had killed so many of his other "brides". Human morality can't really be applied to a giant ape, but Kong was clearly very bright. He was able to learn a sign for "beautiful" in one lesson. It may be appropriate to drop Near Human Intelligence in favor of Unfamiliar With Human Language and Culture.

Quote: ROARRRRR!

Powers/Tactics: Peter Jackson's Kong is actually a very skilled fighter. He'll block, throw one foe into another, take the time to position himself for an attack, hold actions until a foe closes, and generally act more like a kung fu master than a big monkey. If outmatched, he'll head for high ground and try to out-maneuver his foe. His major limitations are unfamiliarity with modern weapons and his protetive attitude towards Ann.

Appearance: Giant gorilla.

Campaign Use: Everyone needs a giant monkey.

Kong by Marian C. Cooper et al. Character sheet by Robert Dorf.

Re: Kong, the Eighth Wonder of the World

Have you seen King Kong then?

I was going to do Kong myself, after seeing the film and using some of the data from the World of Kong book.

Hmm.. Oddhat, would it be okay to add Kong (and Ann) to my website? If yes, can you send me a rtf or doc?

It would work well with the World of Kong animals I want to write-up.

Have you seen King Kong then?

I was going to do Kong myself, after seeing the file and using some of the data from the World of Kong book.

Hmm.. Oddhat, would it be okay to add Kong (and Ann) to my website? If yes, can you send me a rtf or doc?

It would work well with the World of Kong animals I want to write-up.

Saw it, loved it, and I'd love to see your version.

That said, sure, I'll send you the RTFs. :)

Nice.

But, Kong's needs extra limbs! The feet man! Think of the feet!

He also might need a bite attack, even if he only used it once...

His PS should clearly be 8th wonder of the world ;)

The extra limbs are a good idea. :)

On the bite, his Crush and Tear does 15d6; that's enough (imo) to simulate his one bite attack.

• 4 weeks later...

Odd Hat' date=' I love your characters--I got so many great ideas from your game at Gen Con last year. When I saw the Kong movie like all true Herophiles I began trying to figure how he'd be written up. I definitely agree with the martial arts.[/quote']

Thanks, I enjoyed that game as well. :)

Kong was definitely a great source for character ideas. Ann, Jack and Carl are also around here somewhere.