Strength powers

A person I am gaming with wants to make a brick type character, but he wants him to have variable effects with his punches. I think he wants him to be able to do any one of the following attacks

Strength penetrating

Strength only does stun damage

Strength that effects desolidifieds

What do you guys think is the best way to do this? I initially thought multipower, but a multipower is typically used so that you can split your points accross various powers. This character can't put 20% of his points into penetrating strength and 80% into stun only strength. So fixed slots might work for a multipower. Only problem is, he doesn't want to have to use his punch as all-or-nothing.

anyone have any ideas?

Paul Runstedler

I'd be interested to hear the rationale on STR (or HA) that affects desolid, though. Doesn't seem very bricky. Unless it's only vs. certain types of desolid, such as wind/smoke type desolid (clapping hands), but that might be better off being an EB and letting the description of those kinds of desolids handle that.

Re: Strength powers

Originally posted by paul_runstedler

What do you guys think is the best way to do this? I initially thought multipower, but a multipower is typically used so that you can split your points accross various powers. This character can't put 20% of his points into penetrating strength and 80% into stun only strength. So fixed slots might work for a multipower. Only problem is, he doesn't want to have to use his punch as all-or-nothing.

anyone have any ideas?

Paul Runstedler

Even if your player has all the points in the multipower allocated to say, penetrating strength, he is not forced to attack with all of his available dice on every attack. If he want to, he can still reduce the number of dice he uses, or he can pull a punch as well. In my opinion, a multipower with fixed slots for each strength advantage will work just fine for what you want.

I would use the Multipower with fixed slots idea, and all you have to do then is buy Naked Advantages in the slots up to the strength that he wants to use (or that you limit him to.)

The problem with that is that "STUN Only" is a 0-point limitation (advantage?) on EBs, so to apply it to Strength you would either have to buy it as an EB, and forget the Naked Advantage on Strength, or come up with your own advantage cost. :rolleyes:

And the default in the rules (AFAIK) is you don't have to do all or nothing, unless you put the "Beam" limitation on said attacks.

Thank you sir! I did not know that.

I guess I assumed that the fixed slot meant that you had to use all the points for the effect of the power. So what you are saying is that a fixed slot always requires you to use the fixed number of points, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to actually use them during the attack..

Cool.

Well you could have him work up two powers. 1 is varible advantage on STR, the other Varible Limitation on Str.

I would think this is definately a only with GM ok. As a GM I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think it would work alright, He could have a Area Effect Str one time, Ap on it the next but have them Stun only.

Originally posted by tiger

Well you could have him work up two powers. 1 is varible advantage on STR, the other Varible Limitation on Str.

I would think this is definately a only with GM ok. As a GM I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think it would work alright, He could have a Area Effect Str one time, Ap on it the next but have them Stun only.

I guess the tought here is that Stun Only would be tacked on because of the Variable Limitation, but I don't see it. The only place I saw the limitation mentioned is under the EB power listing, and it is a 0-pointer there.

And giving the choice to a character to either do body or not is not much of a limitation (except for the fact that a STUN Only attack does no knockback.) I see it more as an advantage.

Originally posted by SirViss

And giving the choice to a character to either do body or not is not much of a limitation (except for the fact that a STUN Only attack does no knockback.) I see it more as an advantage.

I can see that, I'd treat it as an advantage the more I think about it. OR force him to put a limitation on any time he uses an advantage. BUT, I'd elimate some like charges. I'd allow charges only if it remained in force. So 3 times per day would remain no mattter the advantage. So that he'd only get 3 varible punches a day, IF he had picked charges as the varible limitation

Or something like this:

Str: 25

50pt Multipower

1) 5d6 HtH Limited Var. Advantages (pick 3) half end

2) 5d6 Double KB half end

3) +40 str half end

4) +50 str

5) 5d6 HtH NND

6) 5d6 HtH Cone Area of Effect

7) 5d6 HtH Autofire Half end

This gives you several advantaged 10d6 attacks for 3 end, brick str (65) with a big 13d6 for 4 end, and "I ain't playing" str (75) with a 15d6 attack for 7 end when you need it.

Note that I am not sure about the legalality (or cheese factor) of the last three examples.

Also, I assume that the half end advantage works the same as other advantages when tacked onto HtH (ie: works for the str too)

Original concept from Champsguy, who would add in Martial Arts and Damage classes.

The way that I would approach this effect would be to buy Variable Advantage for the character's Strength with a limited number of Advantages: Penetrating, Affects Desolid, and Stun Only. Just count Stun Only as one of the Advantages, even though it's +0.

If your player doesn't want his character to deal with the increased END use from this all the time, he can either take Reduced END as one of the limited group of Advantages (he can have up to four without increasing the cost), or if you think it's justifiable, let him take Variable Advantage as a naked Advantage on his Strength with just the three Advantages you suggested.