ape men and missing links...

gewing

This came up when following links from another thread.

I could be completely wrong, but the proportions of his legs to his body and his posture look COMPLETELY wrong for a Chimp. His face? Look at the variability in human faces. who knows.

It did remind me of the reports of a possible new species of Ape or Chimpanzee...

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa022800a.htm

Re: ape men and missing links...

Actually, I have a future Digital Hero article that revives a recently discovered missing link. The article features both the Homo Floresiensis and another myth from that area of the world. I haven't submitted it to Dave yet because I'm paranoid about how people will take my first article I have submitted.

Actually' date=' I have a future Digital Hero article that revives a recently discovered missing link. The article features both the Homo Floresiensis and another myth from that area of the world. I haven't submitted it to Dave yet because I'm paranoid about how people will take my first article I have submitted.[/quote']How could anyone not like a Hero writeup of the neolithic "hobbits," Josh? Get that article submitted, young man! :tsk:

My guess is that it's a clever fraud; not a new species or missing link.

It is of course remotely possible it's a new species. Whatever it is, it's not a chimp (except maybe a Photoshopped one).

Not a hoax or fraud, as Oliver's DNA was tested and he turned out to be a normal chimp, albeit one with odd habits. More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_the_chimp

Not a hoax or fraud, as Oliver's DNA was tested and he turned out to be a normal chimp, albeit one with odd habits. More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_the_chimp

A DNA test does not validate a photograph, and Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source. Frankly, before I trusted that he walked in such a manlike manner I'd want an anatomist to examine his skeleton. Chimpanzees are simply not built to walk like humans even if they had the inclination (We've all seen chimps walk on their hind legas, it looks nothing like that picture); and the picture of him walking had a far too manlike appearance for me too accept it without further evidence.

OTOH, if you just want to use Oliver as the basis for a race of apelike men (such as raised Tarzan) in a Pulp Hero game, carry on. :D

A DNA test does not validate a photograph, and Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source. Frankly, before I trusted that he walked in such a manlike manner I'd want an anatomist to examine his skeleton. Chimpanzees are simply not built to walk like humans even if they had the inclination (We've all seen chimps walk on their hind legas, it looks nothing like that picture); and the picture of him walking had a far too manlike appearance for me too accept it without further evidence.

OTOH, if you just want to use Oliver as the basis for a race of apelike men (such as raised Tarzan) in a Pulp Hero game, carry on. :D

I've seen the DNA test in another source. I'd have to look through my books to find it. As for Wikipedia, it was quick.

*looks through cyrpto section of library*

Well, that was a bust. I got nothing. Anyway, I recall something to the effect that he was a physical anomaly, nothing more.

I've seen the DNA test in another source. I'd have to look through my books to find it. As for Wikipedia, it was quick.

*looks through cyrpto section of library*

Well, that was a bust. I got nothing. Anyway, I recall something to the effect that he was a physical anomaly, nothing more.

I don't think I had seen the DNA followup results. otoh, I seem to remember reading that there is almost as much genetic variation inside the Chimpanzee species as the difference between human and CHimpanzee DNA.

There have been several reports out of COngo in the last few years of a possible new type of Chimpanzee or Ape, I remember two articles on BBC.com.

Reading in my textbook on Cryptozoology, it is quite amazing the number of names for something that fits the description in various parts of Africa.

How could anyone not like a Hero writeup of the neolithic "hobbits' date='" Josh? Get that article submitted, young man! :tsk:[/quote']

The other reason I had delayed is because I didn't have a copy of Pulp Hero when I last touched the article. I do now so I guess I have no more excuses. :)

There have been several reports out of COngo in the last few years of a possible new type of Chimpanzee or Ape' date=' I remember two articles on BBC.com.[/quote']

The Bonobo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo

Yes... once again I use Wikipedia, if only because it's a good gateway to other sites.

Yup' date=' there was a report earlier this fall of the spotting of what is supposedly a new close relative: A Chimp the size of a Gorilla![/quote']

Yup, that would be Elwood. "Put on some damn clothes before you go out, Elwood," we always say. The man just does not listen.

Yup' date=' there was a report earlier this fall of the spotting of what is supposedly a new close relative: A Chimp the size of a Gorilla![/quote']Most likely what they supposedly saw was either an actual gorilla or a full grown chimpanzee. Adult male chimps can stand 5 feet tall and weigh over 100 pounds. (We mostly see young chimps in movies and circuses because they're cuter and more tractable.)

Adult male chimps are also omnivorous, territorial, aggressive (sometimes homicidal), and four times as strong as a typical adult human male. 100+ pounds of bad attitude.

National Geographic on the Bondo Ape.

Possibly just a very inbred chimp population . . . ?

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Whatever they are, it's obvious they're not your everyday chimps. Finding out what they are will take more time and research, but that's what makes science so much fun. The more you know, the more you realize you don't know. :D