ape men and missing links...

gewing

Re: ape men and missing links...

Only during my brief stint as a monkey-barreler when I was working odd jobs to earn money while traveling around the world on a tramp steamer.

These days it's easier to travel the world working as a waiter on a cruise ship. If you want to stop anywhere in Asia, teach EFL.

Not pulpy, but maybe useful.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that it's a clever fraud; not a new species or missing link.

It is of course remotely possible it's a new species. Whatever it is, it's not a chimp (except maybe a Photoshopped one).

The "walking upright" picture is an artist's impression, not a photo. In photos, he looks much more chimplike. In the photos he's often shown with a non-hairy face (but that's because the guy who used to tour him as "the humanzee" used depilatory creams on him. Poor guy :( His hair grew back, apparently.

Anyway he was DNA typed and found to be a totally normal chimp, probably from the Gabon region of Africa(1).

The walking upright thing probably resulted from a spine or shoulder injury. There are other chimps that became primarily or even almost exclusively bipedal after injuries - even those that live in the wild(2). The human like behaviour - watching TV, drinking whiskey, etc. is not unususal among chimps bought up by humans: they tend to adopt human-like behavior. Shucks, I used to know a cat called Max Planck, who liked whiskey - a habit he picked up from his humans.

So Oliver was probably just a regular chimp with back problems. :(

cheers, Mark

Note: I posted an extract from the DNA analysis (it's not just a chromosome count but a reasonable work-up) below since I figured most people wouldn't have direct access to this journal, but it's open access.

1. Technical note: Chromosomal and mtDNA analysis of Oliver. Ely, J. J., Leland, M., Martino, M., Swett, W., & Moore, C. M. (Trinity Univ., Dept of Biology, San Antonio, TX 78212-7200). American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 1998, 105, 395-403.

. . . Oliver is an African ape whose species identity has been debated in the popular media and by various scientists since the early 1970s. Many reports indicated that Oliver was morphologically unusual for a chimpanzee, particularly in his habitual bipedal posture. In addition, his diploid chromosome number was reported to be inconsistent with either human or chimpanzee, but instead intermediate between those species. We performed standard chromosomal studies which demonstrated that Oliver had the diploid number expected for a chimpanzee (2N = 48) and that the banding patterns of his chromosomes were typical for a chimpanzee and different from both humans and bonobos. We also sequenced a 312 bp region of his mitochondrial DNA D-looop region. Results indicated a high sequence homology to the Central African variety of chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes troglodytes. The highest percent homology was observed with a previously characterized specimen from Gabon, strongly suggesting that Oliver originated from this region.

2. Bauer HR (1977). Chimpanzee bipedal locomotion in the Gombe National Park, East Africa. Primates. 18: 913–921.

Have you seen the BBC stories in the last year or 2 about the odd apes in COngo? Shades of the book, some speculated that they might be chimp gorilla hybrids, but so far the only analysis I have read was a sample of scat that indicated they are basically Chimpanzees...

The "walking upright" picture is an artist's impression, not a photo. In photos, he looks much more chimplike. In the photos he's often shown with a non-hairy face (but that's because the guy who used to tour him as "the humanzee" used depilatory creams on him. Poor guy :( His hair grew back, apparently.

Anyway he was DNA typed and found to be a totally normal chimp, probably from the Gabon region of Africa(1).

The walking upright thing probably resulted from a spine or shoulder injury. There are other chimps that became primarily or even almost exclusively bipedal after injuries - even those that live in the wild(2). The human like behaviour - watching TV, drinking whiskey, etc. is not unususal among chimps bought up by humans: they tend to adopt human-like behavior. Shucks, I used to know a cat called Max Planck, who liked whiskey - a habit he picked up from his humans.

So Oliver was probably just a regular chimp with back problems. :(

cheers, Mark

Note: I posted an extract from the DNA analysis (it's not just a chromosome count but a reasonable work-up) below since I figured most people wouldn't have direct access to this journal, but it's open access.

1. Technical note: Chromosomal and mtDNA analysis of Oliver. Ely, J. J., Leland, M., Martino, M., Swett, W., & Moore, C. M. (Trinity Univ., Dept of Biology, San Antonio, TX 78212-7200). American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 1998, 105, 395-403.

. . . Oliver is an African ape whose species identity has been debated in the popular media and by various scientists since the early 1970s. Many reports indicated that Oliver was morphologically unusual for a chimpanzee, particularly in his habitual bipedal posture. In addition, his diploid chromosome number was reported to be inconsistent with either human or chimpanzee, but instead intermediate between those species. We performed standard chromosomal studies which demonstrated that Oliver had the diploid number expected for a chimpanzee (2N = 48) and that the banding patterns of his chromosomes were typical for a chimpanzee and different from both humans and bonobos. We also sequenced a 312 bp region of his mitochondrial DNA D-looop region. Results indicated a high sequence homology to the Central African variety of chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes troglodytes. The highest percent homology was observed with a previously characterized specimen from Gabon, strongly suggesting that Oliver originated from this region.

2. Bauer HR (1977). Chimpanzee bipedal locomotion in the Gombe National Park, East Africa. Primates. 18: 913–921.