Which supers movies were better than you expected, which were worse?

zornwil

Re: Which supers movies were better than you expected, which were worse?

Sky High: Thought this would be great, especially the part about the hero being an unpowered kid trying to live up to his parent's expectations, failing, but still being a hero (sort of like Tyler in PS238) and that the moral would be 'Be who *you* want to be, not what your parents want". Of course it turns out the moral was 'You can be everything your parent's want if you try hard enough'. Heck even the bus driver ended up with powers. (I suppose I shouldn't have hoped for more from Disney)

Batman Begins: After what had been done to the Batman franchise anything would have been better than what I expected. As Igor in Dork Tower said the full title should be "Batman Begins to not Suck Again".

F4: Left me cold. Really was just an attempt to cash in on the Marvel movies phenomenon. And Dr Doom as the Metal Man? His charm came from being a totally human menace (abet one with ungodly magical and technological powers, but still fully human under the armour)

Hulk: Again a poor attempt to cash in on the MC movies.

I'd add Punisher, but I knew that'd suck.

X-men 2: Sequal's tend to be less than the original, this one kept the momentum (although I'm still waiting for Rogue to drop Bobby and start dating Gambit).

Hellboy: Maybe I should have read one comic, maybe that would have helped me understand the plot. As it is it was kind of formulaic.

Catwoman: What? I thought it might be cooler! Halley Berry *can* do good work. I blame the script.

Daredevil: I liked Bullseye better than I would have thought. Everything else was drek. Here lets introduce Elektra as the sai welding babe on the poster, oh lets kill her in the next scene. Who cares that the Kingpin has been a big white fat guy since he was introduced in the comics, lets make him a big muscled black guy, 'cause sterotypes are fun.

Yeah.

In a comic book superhero world, the Punisher would have been put behind bars by Cap or Spidey years ago (or should have been). As a stand alone action hero he's wonderful.

Yes 'cause 'You killed my family now I will not just kill yours but sadistically trick you into doing it for me' is the mark of a true hero.

Sorry, but I have never liked any incarnation of the Punisher, and the latest movie one is actually worse that MCs Frank "Guilt by association or just being there" Castle.

I'd have to watch the film again, but iirc that's how S. closed it. One phone call was all it took to undo Mr. Glass.

Must have been an interesting trial.

Way I remember it: He called (anonomous, or not so annonomous tip) the police who went to Mr. Glass' studio and found enough evidence there to convict him (it wasn't like he didn't have his morbid scrapbook out on show, that plus the tip should have been enough for suspicion and a warrant, wherein they find all the plans etc.).

Plus Mr Glass was insane, remember he was shouting about the ultimate villian being the heroes friend in the middle of his crowded studio. It's possible that the police turned up and he freely admitted to it (thereby fulfilling the part of a supervillian who is caught only to escape)

I still remember the multiple burnings I got years ago from the likes of Captain America (An Italian Red Skull? Miss the point much?) ..
I tried to figure out which movie was more disappointing' date=' [i']Captain America[/i] or Supergirl, but years of therapy have finally succeeded in blocking all recollection of those films from my mind...

I tried to figure out which movie was more disappointing' date=' [i']Captain America[/i] or Supergirl, but years of therapy have finally succeeded in blocking all recollection of those films from my mind...

I think it depends on which character you were a bigger fan of. Being a fan of old winghead, I was cut deeper by his movie than superigirl's, but I'm sure a fan of Supergirl who wasn't that big on Cap would feel the reverse.

Repression in cases like these is a good thing.

I try not to get my hopes up too much. I still remember the multiple burnings I got years ago from the likes of Captain America (An Italian Red Skull? Miss the point much?) .. but still' date=' geek that I am, it is hard not to get hyped.[/quote']

*holds the shiny object in front of Hermit's face and swings it back and forth slowly*

Reb Brown

See-through plastic shield

Reb Brown

Reb Brown

At least Helen Slater looked good in the costume.

Actually, that's about all I can remember from that movie...

bigdamnhero

“Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!â€

I was pleasantly surprised by "Daredevil". I was never a great fan of the character back when I read it (in the 60's) but I thought that they did a very good film (I really liked "Bullseye" ). The one I thought was REALLY bad was "The Punisher". Now I will admit that I have never read the comics but, after watching that travesty of a movie, I would not be inclined to read them EVER !

Out of those I had some expectations of:

Incredibles - this one I didn't really have particular expectations for but heard a bit of the hype; I went in figuring it might be okay, probably not fantastic, but was floored by just what a great film it was.

Unbreakable - heard bad stuff before, so was quite pleasantly surprised

Spiderman - each movie was better than I expected

Hulk - not being a character I care for or ever particularly understood the appeal for, I found the movie to be great

Batman Begins - horribly disappointed, I expected at least a consistently entertaining film, found it spotty and quite dumbed-down; and to be fair, I had heard it was similar to Year One, when I found out it was nothing really like that, this made for diappointment even if that really shouldn't have been the measure

Hellboy - quite a pleasant surprise, I never could get into the comic book but found the movie quite engaging and generally a cut above the average superhero films

I think the others mostly fell more or less into what I expected or I had no expectations and they weren't amazing or a bomb compared (or, in a few cases, they were as bad as I feared).

ZORN: We better get you some help. :eek: