Worst comic book superfight ever

FenrisUlf

Re: Worst comic book superfight ever

No. It's that he was bewildered by Spidey's speed and simply unwilling to imagine that Spidey could be that much of a threat - i.e. Overconfident which Firelord sure does say the right things to make one believe he is.

Xandarians are suppost to be one of the most technologically advanced societies in the Marvel Universe, think we can safely estimate the average Xandarian as more intelligent than the average Terrian. Pyreus Kril was not an average Xandarian, he was the XO of a starship (technically he was later Captain, but as that was a battlefield promotion, let's just stick to the XO for now). Feel confident that that's a job that only goes to the above average Xandarian. I can see overconfidence, underestimating a foe, leading to him having adjustible defenses set too low. I cannot see him being stupid enough to not raise his defenses the first or second time he gets hurt. Overconfident =/= stupid, unless the writer commands you act like a mook.

And' date=' as shown in the story, that overconfidence led him to being incredibly frustrated thus losing all sense of fighting intelligently and using effective tactics.[/quote']

In violation of former characterization, which is sorta the point.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being much of a Spidey fan (notwithstanding my defense on this thread)' date=' I was actually unaware the Rhono ever needed his costume to support his powers. I do recall him upgrading to the better armored suit, however.[/quote']

IIRC there was one issue where Rhino was berserking about being a freak, that ended with Spidy unziping the costume and pointing out he COULD take it off.

[Edit: My bad, that was Scorpion, in SSM #21]

Well, there's also the fact that the young lady is obviously skating on the Parody Exemption. :)

... it's a miracle! My funny bone isn't dead after all! No, wait, it was brought back to life! And only Squirrel Girl had the power to do it!

ALL HAIL SQUIRREL GIRL! :D

Okay, let's agree Squirrel Girl beats Spiderman! :D

My interpretation, again, is not that Spidey Sense makes Spidey aware of his opponent's every move. It makes him aware of where danger is, and he uses superior reflexes to avoid it.

He's subconsciously dodging, not consciously. Just like we subconsciously flinch when something flies at us (only Spidey is way more effective).

Sudden absense of a sensation tends to draw attention. Even if you're not looking at anything in particular, you notice when the lights go out. Turn on the TV for background noise, it get's you undivided attention if it suddenly goes silent (some commercials use this). A buzz from the Spider Sense, dangerdangerdangerdanger then suddenly nothing? Think he would have noticed without the "hysterical blindness."

I want Snake Ghandi' date=' Suleyman Rashid, and McCoy's opinion on whether they think that Spiderman punched Rhino only 4 times in issue 281 to KO him.[/quote']

And I want a 22 year old blond bodybuilder to be my Love Slave. That's not going to happen either.

Sudden absense of a sensation tends to draw attention. Even if you're not looking at anything in particular' date=' you notice when the lights go out. Turn on the TV for background noise, it get's you undivided attention if it suddenly goes silent (some commercials use this). A buzz from the Spider Sense, dangerdangerdangerdanger then suddenly nothing? Think he would have noticed without the "hysterical blindness."[/quote']

Poor Spiderman, first I'm hysterically near-paralyzing his power now McCoy's hysterically blinding him!

:D

One fight that could possible qualify for this thread, but I just can't hate this one.

Squirrel Girl defeating Thanos.

Brilliant!

And Chris Bachalo art, if I'm not mistaken? His girls are the cutest.

Green Goblin. He beats Spidey all the time.

Spidey held his own against the Surfer and laid the smacketh down upon the Firelord.

Surfer has beaten Galactus.

Galactus is brother to Death and Eternity.

Green Goblin is in the same league as Death and Eternity, face facts.

Wait... Surfer could beat Superman, eh? [Just use the power cosmic to transform Supe's costume into Kryptonite, the air into Kryptonite gas, etc... ] Then the Goblin could beat just about anyone in the DC Universe as well.

And all of this power for what, <350pts? woohoo!

Yes' date=' but how are they connected to Kevin Bacon?[/quote']

That's the easy one. Spidey, Thing & Hulk all are or have been Avengers. The Avengers have appeared on David Letterman. Kevin Bacon has also appeared on David Letterman.

Alternately, Spidey once met the SNL crew when Silver Samurai was hunting John Belushi. John Belushi & Kevin Bacon both appeared in 'Animal House'

Sudden absense of a sensation tends to draw attention. Even if you're not looking at anything in particular' date=' you notice when the lights go out. Turn on the TV for background noise, it get's you undivided attention if it suddenly goes silent (some commercials use this). A buzz from the Spider Sense, dangerdangerdangerdanger then suddenly nothing?[/quote']

I don't think the SpideySense is a steady "DANGERDANGERDANGER". That wouldn't help Spidey avoid Firelord's shots. He gets a sensation that "left=danger", so he shifts right. He's unconsciously waiting for the next signal, and it doesn't come. He's wrapped up in other things, so he doesn't notice.

I often play the stereo at work (fairly loud, on headphones) and have had occasions where I'm wrapped up in/focused on something else, finish that and then realize the stereo isn't running any more (end of CD some time ago). I'm prepared to suggest Spidey was pretty focused on Firelord, and just failed to note "hey, haven't had a danger signal for a minute or so".

Of course, I also think the Avengers arrived fairly fast after FL went down, so Spidey wasn't beating on a body for a few hours.

Green Goblin. He beats Spidey all the time.

Spidey held his own against the Surfer and laid the smacketh down upon the Firelord.

Surfer has beaten Galactus.

Galactus is brother to Death and Eternity.

Green Goblin is in the same league as Death and Eternity, face facts.

Well, technically, the Surfer has never beaten Galactus straight-up, so Green Goblin is *merely* in the same league as the Silver Surfer. :D

You know, the guy who can easily zip around at FTL, bust planets, nova suns, make time run backwards, and bring back the dinosaurs. The dude with the jet-powered glider and the pumpkin bombs, he can so totally match that.

/irony off

This is why extended a = b = c = d logic sometimes(*) fails when analyzing comics. I prefer slightly more direct comparisions, like judging whether character A can plausibly hurt character B by measuring character B's durability directly in other fights, not in judging that character A can hurt characters D and E when I have no certain way of knowing how characters D and E stack up against character B in the resilience department.

(*) (addendum) The word is 'sometimes', not 'always'. I remind people that the three basic logical conditions are Always, Sometimes, and Never. A claim of Always can be invalidated with one negative example. A claim of Never can be invalidated with one positive example. A claim of Sometimes... is somewhat less simple to argue. (i.e. -- you start getting into what is most probable and least probable, and having to discard statistical outliers if necessary.)

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Sorry for the OT' date=' but how was it?[/quote']

Pretty fantastic. Less of a sequel to American Gods and more a sideline tale in the same background universe. Delves into what it means to be a god in the modern world.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Taken together, then:

- Spider Man is in the Rhino's league

- Rhino is in the Hulk's league

- Hulk is in Thor's league

- Thor is in Firelord's league

If we extend your logic, since the fabulous Frog-Man beat Spider-Man, and since Aunt May Parker beat Frog-Man (she used a broom), Aunt May Parker is in the same league of power as Firelord.

You'll excuse me if I point and laugh now.

If we extend your logic, since the fabulous Frog-Man beat Spider-Man, and since Aunt May Parker beat Frog-Man (she used a broom), Aunt May Parker is in the same league of power as Firelord.

But we already knew that.

And furthermore, Spider-Man has never beaten Aunt May.

You'll excuse me if I point and laugh now.

Spiderman on his last legs, with a crippled arm, and after taking a full movethrough from Rhino, still had enough umphh to KO Rhino.

I find it completely credible that a Spiderman at full strength but equally desperate, can defeat a Firelord constrained by honor.

As an aside, I don't think Hulk was ever knocked out by falling into a shallow hole. From a friend, I heard that Avengers 4 didn't feature Hulk. Avengers 3 had a scene where Antman's ants redirected a stream of water into Hulk, but it merely discomfited and distracted him a little. Never did any real damage.