What does a SuperTeam need?

Agent X

Re: What does a SuperTeam need?

Yup' date=' can't believe I forgot the Legion.[/quote']

Geek story: Back in high school I decided to try to create a sort of Champions/Legion homage. Using 3rd edition at the time, I created one character for each super power in the book. No advantages, no limitations, each character spent a raw 100 points on a single power. I updated a little for 4th ed. but FREd got too complex. Suddenly powers like FW needed more decisions made, which went against the spirit of the thing. It was a fun mental exercise, though.

I was a very lonely child.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly' date=' Wonder Woman has also been a Telepath on and off. I was reading some Golden Age WW issues to put together a write up, and she pulled telepathic tricks even without the lasso. Later writers have used it a lot less.[/quote']

Didn't they start to make Aquaman a telepath at one point too? :think:

Geek story: Back in high school I decided to try to create a sort of Champions/Legion homage. Using 3rd edition at the time, I created one character for each super power in the book. No advantages, no limitations, each character spent a raw 100 points on a single power. I updated a little for 4th ed. but FREd got too complex. Suddenly powers like FW needed more decisions made, which went against the spirit of the thing. It was a fun mental exercise, though.

I was a very lonely child.

Dude, awesome idea! You can really pull this off a lot better if you give yourself a slight amount of flexibility (such as a VPP which only allows for one power with one SFX but with any advantage/adder).

In fact, Marvel's mutants started like this: Each had the market cornered on one kind of power or a single power. The best characters in Marvels' mutant gallery still function like this.

It would be an interesting sort of challenge to do this sort of thing using either the X-Men or LoSH as a template. I may do this a little.

Didn't they start to make Aquaman a telepath at one point too? :think:

Yup, but I wasn't reading JLA at that point. I'm not sure how I feel about the change; I liked Arthur as the ordinary guy with powers, the one that everyone underesimated. He was powerful, even though most writers forgot it, he was just kind of a nebbish. On the other hand, I'd rather ee him get more use out of his talks-to-fish telepathy than go the Hook Hand No Shirt and Beard route.

Dude, awesome idea! You can really pull this off a lot better if you give yourself a slight amount of flexibility (such as a VPP which only allows for one power with one SFX but with any advantage/adder).

I think if I were to do it today (which I just might, who knows?) I'd do the 100 points + a Variable Advantage. You gotta be careful, though, because some powers can't cost 100 (Invisibility) or or simply absurd at that level (100" Gliding??).

Yup' date=' but I wasn't reading JLA at that point. I'm not sure how I feel about the change; I liked Arthur as the ordinary guy with powers, the one that everyone underesimated. He was powerful, even though most writers forgot it, he was just kind of a nebbish. On the other hand, I'd rather ee him get more use out of his talks-to-fish telepathy than go the Hook Hand No Shirt and Beard route.[/quote']

I think it was during that time period when they were trying very hard to give Aquaman something defining and sigificant. You know the period--the last thirty years. I like brick idea, but I was always afraid that he'd end up as a Namor shadow. I thought a slight telepathy would have been a nice addition that was very different from Namor.

The missing hand and beard don't bother as I have both :D

I thought the harpoon was genius when it came out. As it became an "omni-arm" gadget, I was less and less enamored by it. A harpoon has a great deal to say about its wielder, and is a wonderful bit of iconography. An omni-gadget instead of a hand is just kind of silly.

The beard is handsome, but the beard and long hair didn't make much sense for a regal sea-king of a powerful nation. He ought to look more adult than that. I would have liked to see him with a trimmed beard of some length (connoting ruggedness and wisdom) with short hair on his head.

The orange and green costume, in current continuity, is a prison uniform. Therefore, I like the gladiator outfit much better. I'd even go for the blue camouflage he wore in his 1986 miniseries before a prison outfit-- but this resembles too closely a "standard" skintight superhero outfit, which certainly doesn't fit the reluctant superhero type Arthur is. I think they should go back to the drawing board for his costume. Maybe just briefs, since he's in the water so much?

As far as telepathy goes, it makes a lot of sense; he can talk to all kinds of sea life (including mammals). Why not humans, who are ostensibly more mentally similar to him than a lobster? Besides, J'onn's mind must get tired, lugging all of Flash's and Kyle's (the Beavis and Butt-Head of the JLA) stupid brain-dead thoughts around all the time.

I think it was during that time period when they were trying very hard to give Aquaman something defining and sigificant. You know the period--the last thirty years. I like brick idea' date=' but I was always afraid that he'd end up as a Namor shadow. I thought a slight telepathy would have been a nice addition that was very different from Namor.[/quote']

Well, he was probably in part a Namor clone. Namor came out in 1939, Aquaman in 1941. I still say that his defining characteristic was that, despite his powers, he was just this nice married guy with kids hanging out with people who juggled planets. I wish they'd done something more with that.

The missing hand and beard don't bother as I have both :D

See? Take off your shirt and you too can be a post-Image hero. :D

Checking Avengers pages (because I'm bored) it looks like Dr. Druid and Moondragon were both telepaths. I recall Eros / Starfox having some mental powers as well' date=' but can't find his write up online.[/quote']

And Sersi, IIRC.

Even so' date=' the Avengers have never needed a mentalist any more than the Fantastic Four.[/quote']

Isn't Sue's force field effective vs Telepathy and TK?

Regarding how much power the JLA/Avengers need, once you have two-three heavy hitters you seem to be ok from an Avenger PoV. Looking at a typical Avenger line-up:

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man

Vision

Hawkeye

Scarlet Witch

Wasp

Yellow Jacket.

Only Thor, Iron Man, and Vision are really that powerful (although SW is so unpredictable as to be a great wild card) but no one ever said that this wasn't a real Avenger team because they didn't have enough power. Besides, if you have Thor and Iron Man, with Captain AMerica leading, you're in pretty good shape.

The JLA seems more power heavy:

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

Green Lantern

Aquaman

Flash

depending on how you rank Flash and Aquaman. Only Batman lacks powers.

Well, Doctor Strange, Doctor Fate, and Zatanna can all pinch hit as mentalists.

But yes, the only major team that always has a primary Telepath hanging around is the X-Men. Purely mental powers with no physical back up aren't that popular for Comic Book Heroes (though they are an excellent choice for a villain).

Humm, weren't three of the seven founding members of the Justice League telepaths?

Humm' date=' weren't three of the seven founding members of the Justice League telepaths?[/quote']

The founding members of the JLA are not the same as the 'Big Seven'. For one thing, neither Superman, Batman, nor Wonder Woman were founding members. For another thing, the JLA did not have seven founding members, Post-Crisis.

The five founding members of the JLA, Post-Crisis(*), were:

Martian Manhunter

Aquaman

Flash (Barry Allen)

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)

The rest came later.

(*) Yes, it got retconned.

The founding members of the JLA are not the same as the 'Big Seven'. For one thing, neither Superman, Batman, nor Wonder Woman were founding members. For another thing, the JLA did not have seven founding members, Post-Crisis.

The five founding members of the JLA, Post-Crisis(*), were:

Martian Manhunter

Aquaman

Flash (Barry Allen)

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)

The rest came later.

(*) Yes, it got retconned.

I don't acknowlwdge the ret-con.

The Founding Menbers of the Justice League of America, as of The Brave and the Bold #28, 1960, were Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash; and telepaths Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, and Green Lantern. An unofficial 8th member was teen mascot "Snapper" Carr.

Sadly, the harsh and unfeeling DC Continuity Gods have made it impossible for the events of 'The Brave & The Bold #28' to still exist, by changing dates and times relevant to Superman's, Batman's, and Wonder Woman's backstories to the point where they'd have to be time travellers in order to still make it to the founding table. That's *why* the Post-Crisis universe done switched it around.

OTOH, God only knows what Infinite Crisis is gonna do to screw continuity up again, so if you don't like it, just wait a few months. For all we know, and despite Didio's express claim to the contrary(*), we're gettin' a big ol' reboot AGAIN.

(*) Then again, man not exactly of unquestionable integrity, to put it mildly.

Sadly, the harsh and unfeeling DC Continuity Gods have made it impossible for the events of 'The Brave & The Bold #28' to still exist, by changing dates and times relevant to Superman's, Batman's, and Wonder Woman's backstories to the point where they'd have to be time travellers in order to still make it to the founding table. That's *why* the Post-Crisis universe done switched it around.

OTOH, God only knows what Infinite Crisis is gonna do to screw continuity up again, so if you don't like it, just wait a few months. For all we know, and despite Didio's express claim to the contrary(*), we're gettin' a big ol' reboot AGAIN.

(*) Then again, man not exactly of unquestionable integrity, to put it mildly.

Yep, it's like the weather. Don't like the current continunity, wait. It'll change.

The Founding Menbers of the Justice League of America, as of The Brave and the Bold #28, 1960, were Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash; and telepaths Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, and Green Lantern. An unofficial 8th member was teen mascot "Snapper" Carr.

Wonder Woman was sometimes a Telepath; I don't remember Green Lanter pulling telepathic tricks. On the other hand, he may have; uber-ring and all.

Additional: I too don't give a damn about retcons at this point. I stopped following DC in part because they couldn't keep their own new continuity straight.

Marvel lost me when every story started crossing over into a dozen different titles.

Wonder Woman was sometimes a Telepath; I don't remember Green Lanter pulling telepathic tricks. On the other hand' date=' he may have; uber-ring and all.[/quote'] I think the list of three would be Wonder Woman because of her Magic Lasso, Aquaman because they sometimes let his fish telepathy work against people, and the Martian Manhunter for obvious reasons.

Additional: I too don't give a damn about retcons at this point. I stopped following DC in part because they couldn't keep their own new continuity straight.

Marvel lost me when every story started crossing over into a dozen different titles.

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

I don't acknowledge the retcon either.

For what it's worth, the next three characters to join after the seven founders were: Green Arrow, Hawkman and the Atom. None of these are exactly powerhouses, although Green Arrow did once fire an Atomic-Warhead Arrow...

Green Lantern did actually use his ring to give him telepathy in the early days, so he counts. Aquaman had his fish telepathy, and J'onn, of course, was a "real" telepath. Wonder Woman at that stage seemed to have been a mind-controller rather than a telepath...

Hawkman could talk to birds, but it doesn't appear to have been telepathically.

Still, that's four mentalists out of the first seven members! Pretty impressive, even if only two of them (MM, GL) were "real telepaths".

As for the Avengers... their second line up, after the founders resigned, was impressively second rate. Cap, Quicksilver, the Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye. Woo hoo. Even after Hank Pym and the Wasp rejoined, they weren't exactly world beaters!

Of course, once Thor and Iron Man rejoined, things were different...

• 7 months later...

Things that I look for in a Super Team:

1. The ability to move the at least most of the team anywhere in the campaign area in a reasonable length of time.

2. Contacts and plot hooks, the heroes need to be connected to the world to get to know about campaign developments, constantly reporting on CNN gets old after a while. DNPC's who are journalists, politicians, activists, cops, wealthy billionaires work well.

3. At least one smart player who can pick up on the plot hints.

4. Common purpose, the team needs a reason why they're together.