tackle

Foxx!

Heroes!

How do you do this combat manoeuvre: you make a full move, tackle a target, you both fall to ground, and now you are grabbing the target. You can make this manoeuvre with UMA, but anyone should be able to do it without spending points. Does anyone allow Move Through + Grab just as Grab By is Move By + Grab?

Cheers

Re: tackle

Your standard tackle is just a successful Move Through or Grab+Throw, depending on the relative range in which the tackle is initiated.

If you want to be grappling on the ground at the end of it all, you just use your next action to grab the guy. This may give him a chance to escape and/or stand back up, depending on relative SPD, DEX and how you time it all. To reduce the chances of escape, you might need to hold your tackle action until after your opponent has gone.

If you want to be better at it then this for some reason (such as having a wrestler or football player background or having watched to much UFC), then you probably want to go with a martial maneuver or two...

Don't get caught up by the names of Manuevers. They are just labels for game mechanics.

Just because there is a Manuever called "Tackle" does not mean that it is the only or right way to accomplish the net effect of a football style tackle in mechanical terms.

Nor does it mean that the idea of a football style tackle is the only possible conceptualization that can be applied to the mechanic so labeled.

You know, just to be difficult...

There's a reason that football announcers make a big deal about guys who make a good open-field tackle. I'm fine making this an everyman manuver when used against anyman but when you try it on someone who has training (i.e. any hero or villain of note) I'd be thinking about giving you OCV penalties.

I used to play tackle football with friends in high-school and college (ah, the days of immortal youth and stupidity) and I'm fairly certain that I could avoid an untrained tackle for 2-3 seconds. I'm also fairly certain that if any College or NFL-level defensive end made the same attempt I'd be in a world of hurt.

That said, if a player has taken move-through, I will allow a tackle as an optional result of the move-through if the player has scored knockback and chooses not to use it.

There's a reason that football announcers make a big deal about guys who make a good open-field tackle. I'm fine making this an everyman manuver when used against anyman but when you try it on someone who has training (i.e. any hero or villain of note) I'd be thinking about giving you OCV penalties.

I used to play tackle football with friends in high-school and college (ah, the days of immortal youth and stupidity) and I'm fairly certain that I could avoid an untrained tackle for 2-3 seconds. I'm also fairly certain that if any College or NFL-level defensive end made the same attempt I'd be in a world of hurt.

Err, true. And pity the poor football player (even a professionally trained one) who tries to tackle a trained martial artist who is intent upon defending him-/her-self rather than running past with some piece of pig skin at full speed while trying to avoid a whole mob. :)

Depends on the people involved, but in most cases I'd actually pitty the martial artist. Most of the former football players I've worked with had explosive speed and power.

For frame of reference, that comment comes from someone with many years of martial arts and wrestling experience.

I used to play tackle football with friends in high-school and college (ah' date=' the days of immortal youth and stupidity) and I'm fairly certain that I could avoid an untrained tackle for 2-3 seconds. I'm also fairly certain that if any College or NFL-level defensive end made the same attempt I'd be in a world of hurt.[/quote']

So...you're saying that someone without training will fail while someone with training will suceed? Isn't that kinda the whole point of training? ;)

bigdamnhero

"Don't mind me; nobody else does."

Actually, I see it as the Football Player has taken Skill Levels with the specific maneuvers required to perform a tackle, where the Martial Artist has not and is possibly working against a form of attak he is untrained in dealing with (how many martial arts invovle jumped into your target with the intent to smash both of you into the ground?)

Some Martial Artists may do fine, some may end up a shocked pancake completely unprepared for that - think about it, that's the Football Player's only maneuver he cares about - once his target is on the ground as far as he's concerned it's over. Everything in his training is geared toward "ending the play."

Grab has a -1 OCV penalty, Move through -v/5, so a full move tackle built as move through + grab would have - [(v/5)+1] OCV penalty, seems about right to me.