Champions CCG?

phydaux

Hey guys!

I'm just thinking out loud, but would any of you be interested in a Champions CCG?

I've played Vs, and honestly the game mechanics stink. I'm convinced the only reason it exists is because of the Marvel/DC license. I've played Teen Titans, and it has great game mechanics but a limited scope due to the licensing.

I'm thinking something set in the official Champions universe. It would have both heroes and villains from the various sourcebooks. Both could be used in the same deck, although "theme" decks would naturally work better. Players would play "objective" cards that either the player or the oponent could attempt. Objectives would be worth differant numbers of points, and when you reach a particular point total you win.

I'd want to make sure that the game was balanced for both dueling and multi-player play, that many differant theme decks were possible and that the game included a variaty of game mechanics for varied play. At the same time it would have to be much more simple than the RPG, perhaps unrecognisably so, except for the art, characters and setting.

I have not approached Steve or anyone else about this. I'm just trying to find out if there is interest.

Re: Champions CCG?

I know I would appreciate it, but the rest of my game group would not get the same thing out of it. It would never get off the ground there.

I think that we all want to see more Champions/Hero products, but I think this one has a limited built-in audience. I think that if they were ever to have a Champions CCG, they'd have to approach it in reverse; Market it, then use it as a springboard to get people into the RPG.

Anyone played the City of Heroes CCG yet? I've got a battlepack and a couple of boosters, but because I'm not all that saavy on CCGs, I'm still figuring out the rules. Just thought I'd see what others thought of it.

Phydaux I have to firmly disagree with you about the VS system if it is so bad why is the best selling superhero ccg to date and many tournament magic players are leaving the game to play tournament VS because its a great mecanic and alot of fun to play

Making a general Vs derailment comment -

Given this is limited and anecdotal but right now at our game shop Vs is the #1 card game, and has been for about 6 months. It outsells Magic 2 to 1.

The gameplay is okay. It's a card game. Card game game play are okay to stupid. What is really cool about the cards is the devotion to character abilities - now the numbers may be off, but they try and have the special abilites feel right. A couple of examples -

The Pheonix Force Jean grey (yeah the stupid one that came after Jean died, and had the whole "cocoon thing") can only come into play if you have a Jean Grey card in your graveyard.

We all know those cards that have a "flip a coin" effect on them. There is only one in the entirety of Vs. It's Two Face.

Jericho - sac the card gain control of another card.

That was what first attracted me to the game. The effort that the desingers went to to make the cards feel like their comic counterparts.

Guest WhammeWhamme

VS is perhaps the single best designed CCG ever. It is the most perfectly balanced one I've yet encountered (as in, one banned card, etc). It has layers upon layers of tactical complexity.

It is an amazing card game. And, as noted, powers match powers quite closely.

It does have one major flaw; it is all about team combat; no room for mano-e-mano slugfests. (A few cards could change that; I mean, X-statix _almost_ has the right feel).

Still. That's a minor gripe.

That said, a Champions CCG could be interesting. Without a 'name' franchise you'll almost certainly have trouble promoting it... but Champions is a little bit of a name, and Pirates seems to be working.

If you think you _really can_ make a top calibre CCG, go for. (but, given your hat 4 VS, I have my doubts).

Disclaimer: I know licensing and other IP realities make this idea impossible, or so close to impossible as to make no difference.

Since Vs seems to make cross-continuity games playable, it would be interesting to see a Champions Vs expansion. A few people with a good understanding of both the Champions Universe and the Vs system could probably kitbash together a basic deck right here in the forums.

I'd like to see a Champions CCG, but using something similar to the HERO System rules, just with cards. I don't mean just using HERO-esque combat mechanics, but allowing for some of the campaign-level mechanics as well.

For example, one could have some Hunter cards (some at 8, some at 11, and some at 14) in a deck to cause an opponent's Hunter to show up, causing a certain combat disadvantage (extra damage, reduced DCV, whatever).

If you do decide to develop this CCG may I suggest that during development you use the Board Games Development Forum (www.bgdf.com). This is a group of board/card game developers who, via their forums, may be able to give specific advice regarding particular elements of such a game.

Another good resource is BoardGameGeek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/. This describes almost every game ever produced and includes lots of info on various CCGs.