Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KawangaKid

Character concepts that cry out for GM Vengeance

Re: Character concepts that cry out for GM Vengeance

Well, it's technically a character concept that's totally out of whack...

I've got a guy who built Zombie Boy. A normal kid who found a "magic" staff in his grandfather's basement and breaks it while playing with it. Upon breaking it he became Zombie Boy, blessed by NORSE magic (I'm not kidding, when he was telling me this, the word 'norse' was accentuated)

Among his array of powers, Zombie Boy could detach his head, torso and four limbs from each other and they could move independently (duplicates with flight). Such was the power of NORSE magic.

His other NORSE powers would be:

The Breath of Odin, where Zombie Boy would open his mouth and unleash a bolt of lightning.

The Call of Baldur, where a horde of zombie vikings mob appear from nowhere and mob whichever unfortunate soul occupied the hex.

[Name] of [Pending], where a Viking Longboat falls from the sky on his opponent.

Sif's Pillage, a megascaled radius attack that ruins the vicinity, damaging nonliving objects.

Theft of Thor, the accompaniment to Sif's Pillage, which steals valuables from the area.

My brain broke after he told me this.

I don't know if I ever really took Vengeance on this guy or not but I had one player that over the course of a Year of playing M&M in various settings came up with Two different characters that to this day we still mock him about anytime they come up.

The first was in a game that was suppose to be what I call "Modern Four-Color". Meaning that the Villains my do truly horrific things but the heroes are suppose to have a four-color set of morality. I forget the characters name but my buddy Danny comes up with this stealth ninja type character with a ton of stealth ability's Which was fine but then he gave the guy a set of magic swords, One that shot lightning and one that shot thunder. So everybody at the table suddenly starts going "Sneak, Sneak, Sneak, FLASH! BOOOOOOM!!!(and yes we always yell the last part.),but the character was usable and if would have been fine but the first mission the whole team gets sent on they end up capturing the villains Maid. While questioning her they start to believe she may not be human. As the team starts debating how to find out for sure if she's a robot or not Danny comes up with the bright Idea "I'll peel the skin of one of her fingers!" to which I replied "um..Danny you know this is a Four-Color game right?" "yeah but we need to know if she's a robot so I peel her finger." At this point an argument broke out between the players that basically ended with the Mentilst threating to Mind blast Danny and the teams were-wolf sneaking over the the maid and just taking a blood sample. Danny retired the character after that game and played a speedster for the rest of the campaign. It became a running joke the the government sent us the wrong guy and that stealth boy was suppose to go to this CIA black Ops team.

The second character was for a M&M game set in the Marvel Universe. I think the guys name was Doc Stone of something like that. He was a Super Strong, Super Dexterous, Super Intelligent, Super Wise, Super Charismatic, Amphibious Rock. After arguing with him that Doc was just a min maxed piece of crap he dropped the Super Wisdom and Super Dex. He dropped the Super Charisma after I threated that he'd be super charismatic to Pigeons. He then took the points from the stats and bought the ability to turn people to stone by looking at them. That game ended up falling apart and being the worst Gming experiences I think I've ever had. But in hindsight it's good for a laugh every now and then.

No such thing in my game. I'd never allow it. It's a "Friendly" game. If they don't wanna play for the joy of it, they need to go somewhere else.

This didin't really cry out for vengeance but it is the creepiest orgin and character combo I've ever seen -we were playing a Champs NM game with elements from the San Angelo setting and the Savant had this teen aged 'apprentice' mentalist who, and I swear I'm not making this up, had no eyes or ears and was mute- he was called the Idiot. He was telepathic, telekinetic, and had clairvoyant ability to see and hear through the senses of others in the area plus could speak telepathically. He loved Pinball- that's right, "That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball..." But the worst was his orgin- he was adopted by this night guard at a medical biowaste plant that found him one night crying in a bag of waste to be incinerated... he was apparently an aborted fetus that had been incubated to birth in a womb of biohazardous material, hence his powers and physical condition. It was a cool game but the most creepy character that I encountered so far.

Only happens in my game when the player is too lazy to come up with a background for the character.

Me: So what is your character's history?

Them: Uh...Um... I don't know. Just make him amnesiac.

Me: Uh. Where did your character learn to fight and be stealthy.

Them: Don't know just make it amnesia.

Me: Do you have any possible ideas what you might have been doing before you lost your memory?

Them: Naw.

Me: (totally realizing that they have not and will not put any thought into their character other than how to blow things up really well) Are you sure?

Them: Yep

Me: Ok. (insert evil grin here)

This has happened only once and I really liked the player so I created his history. Word has gotten around. NOBODY wants that to happen ever again.

I've had players volunteer for Mystery Origin before, but that was because they know that I tend to reward such cooperation with interesting stories.

Of course, there's interesting... and then there's interesting.

Well, it's technically a character concept that's totally out of whack...

I've got a guy who built Zombie Boy. A normal kid who found a "magic" staff in his grandfather's basement and breaks it while playing with it. Upon breaking it he became Zombie Boy, blessed by NORSE magic (I'm not kidding, when he was telling me this, the word 'norse' was accentuated)

Among his array of powers, Zombie Boy could detach his head, torso and four limbs from each other and they could move independently (duplicates with flight). Such was the power of NORSE magic.

His other NORSE powers would be:

The Breath of Odin, where Zombie Boy would open his mouth and unleash a bolt of lightning.

The Call of Baldur, where a horde of zombie vikings mob appear from nowhere and mob whichever unfortunate soul occupied the hex.

[Name] of [Pending], where a Viking Longboat falls from the sky on his opponent.

Sif's Pillage, a megascaled radius attack that ruins the vicinity, damaging nonliving objects.

Theft of Thor, the accompaniment to Sif's Pillage, which steals valuables from the area.

My brain broke after he told me this.

good god! how many points did he have to start with???

There was the guy who abused the "visible" limitation by making everything "magically noisy"(one presumes on the theory that it wouldn't come up often).

But usually it's just an overly effective combination of powers, or a player who pours all of the points into a foci(armor suit), so when he gets captured without it, he's basically sitting around waiting to be rescued.

In the beginning we had A player who wanted to play a circus clown , the gm laughed and let it go....the character wound up being one of the better heros in the group

His hunteds helped of course

Olga the fat lady

bat boy

and other circus freaks

a Spectral brick with Desolid.

and he carried a sword that Affected Real World.

and the sword Does Body. :straight:

===========================================================

Capt.Amazing: What about Death-Man ?

Publicist: Death-Man is Dead.

- - Mystery Men - -

Only twice have I ben moved to eradicate a Pc in one of my games - the first was called Mind Guy. A Mentalist with mind scan and ego blast and x-ray vision. He would not go with the group but sit in the base and drink coffee till he decided to zot someone. The second was a a stretching , invisible , tunneling guy with n-ray vision. His thing was to hide undergound then tunnel up his arms and smash people into the ground.These characters were both from the same player in a game I ran in 1985 thru 1990.

uh, yeah, we house ruled "no off board snipers" and "mentalists must be visible somewhere on the map, not under it or over it" quite a long time ago.

No tunneling snipers, no off board ego blasters, no extradimensional zappers, etc.

Well, not very many of those ever actually make it into the game. I put the kabosh on a number of them.

However, I did have one guy that wanted to play a girl made out of Flubber. She had an RKA that was defined as bouncing off the bad guy and back to her original position. Then he bought PD and ED Absorption into the RKA.

I was really busy at the time with school and was running two campaigns and didn't really look over the sheet really well. That is until he suddenly had a 6d6 RKA that was knocking over BidBads like nobody's business.

There was one character that did stick out. Early on when we was in uni we had a number of floaters and hangers-on. This one character had almost totally normal stats except:

+20 DEX (-1 only in combat)

+20 CON (-1 only to resist STUNNING)

+20 BODY (-1 only to avoid bleeding to death)

+20 STUN (-1 only to avoid falling unconscious)

You get the point. I couldn't decide if I should laugh or strangle the guy. I sent him back to the drawing board.

Only happens in my game when the player is too lazy to come up with a background for the character.

Me: So what is your character's history?

Them: Uh...Um... I don't know. Just make him amnesiac.

Me: Uh. Where did your character learn to fight and be stealthy.

Them: Don't know just make it amnesia.

Me: Do you have any possible ideas what you might have been doing before you lost your memory?

Them: Naw.

Me: (totally realizing that they have not and will not put any thought into their character other than how to blow things up really well) Are you sure?

Them: Yep

Me: Ok. (insert evil grin here)

This has happened only once and I really liked the player so I created his history. Word has gotten around. NOBODY wants that to happen ever again.

What did you do?

Closest I think I've come would be various one-trick ponies created over the years: one Big Attack, minimal defenses, no variety. :shrug: Not that you have to exactly go out of your way to squish characters like that -- they usually do it to themselves.

bigdamnhero

“Mercy is the mark of a great man. [stabs] Guess I'm just a good man. [stabs] Well, I'm okay.â€

I had a few, and the bad thing wasn't realy what the concept was, its how they were used.

Brick who every attack would rip one hex of concrete out and slam it down onto his foe (so he could hit a dcv of 3) Gave up the character after I pointed out the body and defence of a 1 hex chunk of asphalt.

Followed by

Energry Blaster with double knockback with a Large PD forcewall

Yep.. blast target into forcewall at double knock back to try and blow past the damage caps..after all it wasn't his fault that they got knocked back...

Followed by

7d6 NND ( complete life support) No Range Modifier, indirect

he just didn't understand the concept of 60 active points in attacks....

His best friend created characters like..

Lightning Dude

Lightning Guy

Lightning Man...

he used the same darn character sheet for each of them..

In the beginning we had A player who wanted to play a circus clown , the gm laughed and let it go....the character wound up being one of the better heros in the group

His hunteds helped of course

Olga the fat lady

bat boy

and other circus freaks

Hey, one of my favorite PCs is a Circus Clown...

Only once did someone try to build a character that would have required a swift kick. And I nixed the idea before he could finish the write-up.

He wanted to play a sentient computer that was left at the base and could control 'satellite defense systems' so that he could blast people in combat without even showing up to the fight.

Celestina Undine Neo Teles. The most offensively sexual character I've ever encountered, bar none. What made it worse was the player's violent objections to anyone *else* playing a sexually active character on the grounds that it was immature. I'm not sure if Nexus kicked the player off or the player left on his own. Either way, drop-kicking was copiously indicated.

He wasn't being serious right? This is for a lighthearted' date=' comical campaign, yes?[/quote']

Technically it was for a teen champions campaign. I'm okay with slightly wacky but this one just killed my brain. Then again as a player the guy is actually pretty cool, follows the rules and works out creative strategies.

I just cringe when he has this manic gleam in his eye and says, "I've got a new character concept!"

good god! how many points did he have to start with???

Oh, it was for 250 points. He'll just start with the Breath of Odin lightning bolt and the Energy Blast; Area of Effect (1 hex) defined as a zombie viking bum rush attack

I've half a mind to send a fat opera lady dressed up as a valkyrie with massive sonic based powers after him. All while playing Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie in the background to oppose him.

Then again, it's still way better than the guy who sent me This Build. :nonp:

What did you do?

Actually, I thought it was kind of fun.

This was about ten years ago. The game of choice at the time was Rifts (it was the only system that we had because I had just moved to California and had sold off almost everything that I owned including my Champions books).

The player wanted to play a Dragon Juicer, for those of you that do not know A Juicer in Rifts is a really powerful character that lives for a max of like seven years after the process that makes him a juicer has been done. You can stop being a juicer but you have to go through hideous detox and are just a shell of a character. But who is going to go through detox, I mean seven years in game time? Why would any power gamer that took that crazy SOB in the first place want to do something like that?

Well, it seems that the amnesiac characters real history was this. A couple of years before the game there lived a great and powerful mage in China, he kept his community safe and opposed the Demons and evil magic users in his land. His greatest enemy, Park Han, fought him for years but was never able to best the mage. In the end he captured the Mage's love and set a trap for the Mage. The Mage came and finally admitted defeat to save his love. This was not enough for Park Han, whom despised the mage and what he believed to be The Mage's false virtue. Park Han told the mage that he believed that deep down he craved power just like himself but was just to cowardly to admit it aloud. Park told the Mage that his nature would not allow him to give up power under his own will, even if it was destructive. The Mage told him that he was not a slave to his powers or ambitions like someone as evil as Park Han and that his spirit would always shine through. So a wager was struck.

The Mage was stripped of his magical powers and memory, then he was put through the process to become a Dragon Juicer. If he would truly renounce the power that was given to him at any time then his memory would be returned as well as his love.

Park Han became a major npc in my game and the unseen force behind a lot of their trials and tribulations. They knew the villian as one of the movers and shakers of the town but could not really prove that he was going after them. His bodyguard was this woman that was a Mega crazy, someone that is even more messed up than the juicers. She was actually the Mages love and they clashed on several occassions.

So once the Player learned the truth, this power loving Player went, "Oh, crap."