Dive for Cover Variant

Armitage

Instead of the DEX penalty being -1 per 1" moved, it's -1 per 1", +1" for every full 6" of combat movement over 6".

e.g., a speedster with 30" Running Dives for Cover with a -1 per 5" moved.

It makes sense to me that faster movement would allow you to get out of the way faster. This would let a speedster do things like outrun the blast wave of a small explosion without having to buy huge numbers of Skill Levels with DEX Rolls.

The normal rules say that non-combat movement can be used to Dive for Cover, but using this rule, that could get a bit silly with really high multiples.

Good? Mediocre? Unbalancing? Abyssmal?

Re: Dive for Cover Variant

I like the idea on principle, but I suspect it would render explosive attacks and many area effect attacks almost worthless in game play. Given the Fade Rate of Explosive Attacks in Hero, IME most characters only need to DfC about 3" to be rendered safe from all but colossal explosions. This proposed variant would allow speedsters to essentially ignore EX (and even most AoE) attacks unless those attacks are huge. It gives a huge (and free) advantage to fast characters, who generally already have significant advantages in avoiding getting hit. Players who pay +½ or +1 for their "large-footprint" attacks should get some benefit for those points. And I say this as a player who runs a quasi-speedster with 30" of Running and who uses DfC quite often in combat.

I think the effect you're looking for would be better simulated with the speedster buying a limited defense Power of some sort or Skill Levels bought for Dive for Cover. It's simply too advantageous to be free in my opinion.

Such an increase in success rate is already reflected in the speedsters DEX (or should be, I can't imagine a speedster with a whimpy DEX). Also, such a rule would give an advantage to character who simply have a lot of movement, like some bricks with lots of leaping. I'm sure the Hulk isn't gonna get a bonus to leap out of the way of a grenade just because he can leap a mile (then again, why the Hulk would bother leaping is beyond me, but it's still true it shouldn't be getting any bonuses to his DEX roll).

It's an interesting optional rule, I think. I'd prefer to make it a slower progression, though, and probably relative to the amount of distance required to move. For example, give the target a +1 on on the roll for each doubling of their Movement over the amount that has to be moved. So if an AoE attack forces the character to move 3 hexes, (s)he would get a +1 for a Movement Power of at least 6 hexes, a +2 for a Movement Power of at least 12 hexes, etc.

For Non-Combat Movement, I would probably use the amount of Combat Movement before the NC Multiple, then add a flat bonus like +2. That keeps it in-hand IMO. I would also only allow the target to use NCM if the Movement Power could get them to NC velocities in one Phase (the target must already be moving, must have purchased an appropriate Advantage for acceleration, etc.). EDIT: Oh, and if a Turn Mode is involved and the character is already moving, the character might have to be moving in roughly the correct direction as well).

Slightly off topic, but one thing I do to increase the chances of a successful DFC is give a DEX Roll bonus for whatever cover they are diving for. The bonus is the same as the DCV bonus/OCV penalty the cover would provide (if total, I just call it a +4. This bonus is only applicable if the cover would actuall block the attack. No bonus if you are diving to the same side of the wall the grenade is being aimed at. I figure if you are actually diving behind something, it adds to the chance of you not being in the air when the attack goes off.

I've always had Speedsters buy DEX skill levels' date=' only usable with the Dive for Cover Maneuver (-2) to reflect this.[/quote']

There is already an existing type of level that's a perfect fit for DFC. Movement Levels.

They cost 2 points for one mode of movement or 3 points for all modes and can be used for:

• DCV while moving
  • Lowering Turn Modes
  • Any DEX rolls related to movement

Slightly off topic' date=' but one thing I do to increase the chances of a successful DFC is give a DEX Roll bonus for whatever cover they are diving for. The bonus is the same as the DCV bonus/OCV penalty the cover would provide (if total, I just call it a +4. This bonus is only applicable if the cover would actuall block the attack. No bonus if you are diving to the same side of the wall the grenade is being aimed at. I figure if you are actually diving behind something, it adds to the chance of you not being in the air when the attack goes off.[/quote']

I pretty much do that. I don't give the exact cover bonus, but I usually give a +1 to +2 if there is good cover close by (maybe even higher if the cover is already, "blocking part of the blast," or whatever).