Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Squirrel

Complex Weapon

Recommended Posts

I'm building the a mage slayer weapon. It is essentually a long sword with a couple of magical ability. It also has some powers that are always active that are invoked any time a person who can use magic comes in contact with the sword.

 

This is my thoughts on the power:

 

Sword Energy Reserve

 

Sword Ability Multipower

1) Standard Long Sword HKA

2) Mage Slash EB Beam (uses Sword Energy Reserve)

3) Detect Magic User (uses Sword Energy Reserve)

 

Mage Slayer Elemental Control

1) Transfer END to Sword Energy Reserve, Continious, Always On

2) 1d6 Drain BODY Continious, Always On

3) 1d6 Drain STR Continious, Always On

4) 3d6 Drain STUN Continious, Always On

 

Is there a better way to build this, or is this correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way that weapon is "wrong". Magic is very rare. The END Reserve will have a 0 REC, thus getting energy only from encountered mages. The only good that weapon is against a non-mage is the standard long sword and the occasional EB from what little END it has stored up. The weapon is intended to be lethal to mages.

 

It comes with a high cost too. The possesor of the weapon has an essentual hunted and/or reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting weapon...

 

My thoughts now:

 

Okay keep the basic MP, the Detect is a 0 end power BTW

 

On the powers in the EC, I would drop them all into one Transfer (From Str/End/Stun/Body to End Reserve) then (Ready for some Magic time?), I have a serious problem with the Always on & COntinous (I do not think it appropriate for this F/X), so what you need here IMHO is a linked limitation so that when ever the character uses the HKA it sets this ability off (as these power will be 0 End I beleive)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by JmOz

Interesting weapon...

 

My thoughts now:

 

Okay keep the basic MP, the Detect is a 0 end power BTW

 

On the powers in the EC, I would drop them all into one Transfer (From Str/End/Stun/Body to End Reserve) then (Ready for some Magic time?), I have a serious problem with the Always on & COntinous (I do not think it appropriate for this F/X), so what you need here IMHO is a linked limitation so that when ever the character uses the HKA it sets this ability off (as these power will be 0 End I beleive)

I plan on having the Detect have Costs END to Use.

 

As for the power itself, it isn't just when you use the HKA. A mage can't even pick up the sword. The reason why it is called a Mage Slayer weapon because the version that is a spear, not a sword, killed a powerful fae mage by simply charging it through him in a battle. Unable to pull the spear out of his own shoulder, he was drained to death.

 

Your suggestion to place them all in a Transfer to END Reserve is well noted and will be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Super Squirrel

There is no way that weapon is "wrong". Magic is very rare. The END Reserve will have a 0 REC, thus getting energy only from encountered mages. The only good that weapon is against a non-mage is the standard long sword and the occasional EB from what little END it has stored up. The weapon is intended to be lethal to mages.

 

It comes with a high cost too. The possesor of the weapon has an essentual hunted and/or reputation.

 

Anything that kills Mages is fine by me... *puts on fighter hat*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest cubist

Nifty idea Squirrel, I did something a while back in another game ssytem that was like this, only the character generated the weapon themself. Don't forget to put only affects Mages on this for the -1/4 or -1/2 disadvantage on it(depending on how common mages are in your game world. If you want to do it continuous, shouldn't it be a damage shiled that goes off on contact with mages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by cubist

Nifty idea Squirrel, I did something a while back in another game ssytem that was like this, only the character generated the weapon themself. Don't forget to put only affects Mages on this for the -1/4 or -1/2 disadvantage on it(depending on how common mages are in your game world. If you want to do it continuous, shouldn't it be a damage shiled that goes off on contact with mages?

Of course! It is a damage shield that has the added limitation (Only for contact with weapon) Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go...

 

Mage Slaying BroadSword

Cost Power END
1 Stored Mage Energy: Endurance Reserve (30 END, 0 REC) Reserve: (3 Active Points); OAF (-1)
17 Mage Slaying: Transfer 1d6 (max. Transfered Points: 16): STR, BODY, and END Reserve to Stored Mage Energy, Delayed Return Rate (5 Points per 5 Minutes; +1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (70 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power (Only Works on Mages; -1), Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2), Limited Power (Damage Shield Only Covers Sword; -1/2)
10 Mage Sword Powers: Multipower, 20-point reserve, all slots: (20 Active Points); OAF (-1)
1u 1) Broad Sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 +1 (plus STR) (vs. PD) (20 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 2
1u 2) Mage Slash: Energy Blast 2d6 (vs. ED), Line Of Sight (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Beam (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 2
1u 3) Locate Mage: Detect A Class Of Things 11- (Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range) (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (uses END Reserve) 2
Powers Cost: 31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Complex Weapon

 

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

I'm building the a mage slayer weapon. It is essentually a long sword with a couple of magical ability. It also has some powers that are always active that are invoked any time a person who can use magic comes in contact with the sword.

 

This is my thoughts on the power:

 

Sword Energy Reserve

 

Sword Ability Multipower

1) Standard Long Sword HKA

2) Mage Slash EB Beam (uses Sword Energy Reserve)

3) Detect Magic User (uses Sword Energy Reserve)

 

Mage Slayer Elemental Control

1) Transfer END to Sword Energy Reserve, Continious, Always On

2) 1d6 Drain BODY Continious, Always On

3) 1d6 Drain STR Continious, Always On

4) 3d6 Drain STUN Continious, Always On

 

Is there a better way to build this, or is this correct?

 

Would this thing be obsidian black, covered in glowing, blood-red runes by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Complex Weapon

 

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

I'm building the a mage slayer weapon. It is essentually a long sword with a couple of magical ability. It also has some powers that are always active that are invoked any time a person who can use magic comes in contact with the sword.

 

This is my thoughts on the power:

 

Sword Energy Reserve

 

Sword Ability Multipower

1) Standard Long Sword HKA

2) Mage Slash EB Beam (uses Sword Energy Reserve)

3) Detect Magic User (uses Sword Energy Reserve)

 

Mage Slayer Elemental Control

1) Transfer END to Sword Energy Reserve, Continious, Always On

2) 1d6 Drain BODY Continious, Always On

3) 1d6 Drain STR Continious, Always On

4) 3d6 Drain STUN Continious, Always On

 

Is there a better way to build this, or is this correct?

Would this thing be obsidian black, covered in glowing, blood-red runes by any chance?[/b]

 

And be six-and-a-half feet long, but belted at the waist of a frail elven-looking chap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest cubist

Couple of things about StormBringer:

It kills everyone, not just mages

its trigger is whenever it cuts anyone

Elric may be sorta frail, but the dude is frickin tall- Melniboneans are Larger than human as a race.

 

Stormbringer would also be a 1000 pt character with a 300-400 follower(his wielder!) :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, but what if Stormbringer 'got together' with, oh say, Exalibur (only other famous sword I could think of)? You could call it something like Stormchaser.

 

Stormchaser: Bastard child of Stormbringer and Excalibur.

 

(Would that make it a Bastard Sword?) :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As written, the sword requires someone to activate it and keep it on...if that person is knocked unconscious, the Continuous powers shut down. I would suggest Persistent to get around this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did something similar to this in an AD&D game I ran 20 years ago. I had a critter called a "Mana Mimic" which imitated a wizard's staff and sucked spells from any magic user who held it at the rate of 1 spell level per hour. It started at the high level (less used) spells, then worked it's way down through the magic user's spells until he had none left (Typically several days). Of course it could throw lightning bolts and fireballs to convince the magic user it was a legitimate staff. Once it drained him dry it slithered away like a snake.

 

You could do it in HERO as a Drain Magic Pool or even as a magic item rather than a creature. Perhaps after it's full it crawls back to it's real master... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×