Yet another 'how to build': Body-Swapper

DataPacRat

Given a PC who is something close to a black box computer running an AI, a box which can be plugged into a selection of robot bodies (eg, human-like android, battle-hardened Terminator, black vehicle with bouncing red headlight, stealthy animal-like android)... how would I build that selection?

Multiform is the obvious choice, but I'm not quite sure how to put into rules form the fact that the other bodies don't disappear when not in use (and can, like a Focus, be stolen, etc), that the PC can only switch forms when two of his bodies are next to each other (unless he trusts somebody to carry his brain around), and so on.

Maybe a solution would be to build the character as the brain-box, and the bodies as vehicles? That seems a bit off.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Yet another 'how to build': Body-Swapper

The two suggestions you have there are both workable. I like the idea of a limited multiform.

In the multiform you are simply going to limit the multiform. If you are in one form then you cannot change unless you can access a new body either because you cannot get to your secret garage or because someone has stolen one of the robot bodies and you need time to construct a new one or recover the old one.

You could also treat the multiform as focus based and use the foci damage rules to slowly degrade the function of any one form.

(was there anything liek this in the Ultimate Metamorph?)

Those reduce the functionality of the character but they cost less points too.

Doc

Given a PC who is something close to a black box computer running an AI, a box which can be plugged into a selection of robot bodies (eg, human-like android, battle-hardened Terminator, black vehicle with bouncing red headlight, stealthy animal-like android)... how would I build that selection?

Multiform is the obvious choice, but I'm not quite sure how to put into rules form the fact that the other bodies don't disappear when not in use (and can, like a Focus, be stolen, etc), that the PC can only switch forms when two of his bodies are next to each other (unless he trusts somebody to carry his brain around), and so on.

Stick a miscellaneous limitation on the multiform to represent those limitations. Maybe -1/2

I have it, and I'm not looking at it as I post this.

I'll ask the obvious: So you're a black box AI. You control robot bodies. You CAN buy all the bodies as vehicles. You can also buy mind control to represent your ability to flip in and out of systems.

I thought you were doing a 'soul jump', which I would've called a Transfer & Transform combo, or simply a Transform (you into me, mental only, shunts me into you, mental only, side effect: stuns you, I'm ready for it).

Actually, given that the "brain" is an AI in a box and the various "bodies" are sophisticated robots, I'd say that it would make a great deal of sense for the bodies to be built as Vehicles, or as Automaton Followers, paid for by the "head," which it controls when attached to them.

The Multiform mentioned above makes sense. Another possibility would be for the various bodies to be bought as Duplicates for the brain which Cannot Recombine, and which remain inert until the brain is attached (perhaps because they have that as a specific Physical Limitation).

There are many ways to do it.

I like Multiform with -1/2 Restrainable (may be restrained by entangling or grabbing current body, spare bodies may be stollen by anyone who finds secret lab), Only Change In Lab (-1/2). -1 Total

It doesn't have quite as much potential for unintentional balance problems as the Body+Vehicles option.

I have it, and I'm not looking at it as I post this.

I'll ask the obvious: So you're a black box AI. You control robot bodies. You CAN buy all the bodies as vehicles. You can also buy mind control to represent your ability to flip in and out of systems.

I thought you were doing a 'soul jump', which I would've called a Transfer & Transform combo, or simply a Transform (you into me, mental only, shunts me into you, mental only, side effect: stuns you, I'm ready for it).

Interesting. This would simplify matters immensely for the "Avatar" character, if I could just work out how to have a power that *created* Foci.

Hmm . . . "new robot bodies" may be created by "time in shop"? New physical shells may be created by Concentration 1 Turn, or a Recoverable Focus that comes back Indirectly (only where perception extends)?

Interesting. I'll have to think more about this.