Adamant's upcoming Mars book

Carjack

I think it's very cool that Adamant is going to be converting Pulp Hero stuff to the d20 (not that I play it). That excellent material needs a wider audience for sure. Any chance that there could be a Hero version of their upcoming Mars: A Game of Planetary Romance in the pipeline? That's a game that just begs to get the Hero System treatment

Re: Adamant's upcoming Mars book

I think it's very cool that Adamant is going to be converting Pulp Hero stuff to the d20 (not that I play it). That excellent material needs a wider audience for sure. Any chance that there could be a Hero version of their upcoming Mars: A Game of Planetary Romance in the pipeline? That's a game that just begs to get the Hero System treatment

:eek: Mmmmmmmaaaaaarrrrrrsssss!!!!

I agree with Carjack... There should be some two-way conversions going on here. I'd see nothing but good things from that.

Jak

We don't have any particular plans for that right now. If it seems like a feasible project at some point we'll certainly consider it. ;)

Truth to tell, though, if we were going to do a "planetary romance" setting, I'd probably want to try to write it myself -- maybe first as an HPA, then later, in a much more expanded form, as a book.

Truth to tell, though, if we were going to do a "planetary romance" setting, I'd probably want to try to write it myself -- maybe first as an HPA, then later, in a much more expanded form, as a book.

Ooo... Looks like it's time to start dropping subliminal messages into my planetary romance posts to jog Steve's mental elbow on this one... :D

Ooo... Looks like it's time to start dropping subliminal messages into my planetary romance posts to jog Steve's mental elbow on this one... :D

OOoooo... There used to be a short run 3d cartoon about a solar system that was at war, and each planet in the system had different intelligent creatures, but most were humanoid. Lavamen, ice people, lizardmen, and of course humans... but I can't remember what it was called.

Jak

Alien lava men... :ugly:

OOoooo... There used to be a short run 3d cartoon about a solar system that was at war, and each planet in the system had different intelligent creatures, but most were humanoid. Lavamen, ice people, lizardmen, and of course humans... but I can't remember what it was called.

Jak

Shadow Raiders, or possibly War Planets, depending on what country you are/were in.

Jak

I think you're remembering a computer-animated series called War Planets (in the United States). Planet Rock (stone people), Planet Fire (lava people), Planet Ice (crystaline insect people), and Planet Bone (lizard people). No actual humans, though, but one representative of a robotic race from the Planet Tech, which was destroyed by a giant planet-devouring world called the Beast Planet which was the prime menace of the series.

I enjoyed that series. It was really a war story, and for the most part a fairly serious one.

I think you're remembering a computer-animated series called War Planets (in the United States). Planet Rock (stone people), Planet Fire (lava people), Planet Ice (crystaline insect people), and Planet Bone (lizard people). No actual humans, though, but one representative of a robotic race from the Planet Tech, which was destroyed by a giant planet-devouring world called the Beast Planet which was the prime menace of the series.

I enjoyed that series. It was really a war story, and for the most part a fairly serious one.

THAT'S IT!!!

:ugly: Jak

Well, absolutely. Don't think for a moment that I'm planetary romance trying to influence you in any way, sir...

LOL, fair enough. Fortunately, tonight's impromptu planetary romance adventure went smashingly well. Look for a report tomorrow in my "Thrilling Hero Tales" campaign chronicle thread. ;)

Great session recap, Steve!

Glad you enjoyed it! I was a little surprised to get to the end and see how long it was. :eek:

Did your players find the game less challenging when they were fairly invulnrable to most attacks?

Hopefully at least one of 'em will be along to check the thread, see this, and respond on his own, but in general I think they did. It was mostly a matter of giving them obstacles to overcome that didn't involve getting hurt -- having to rescue the princess without hurting her, leaping from one moving turoga to another, enemies with nets instead of sharp weapons, that sort of thing. And of course it would still have been possible to Stun them or KO them, though as luck would have it that never occurred.

Did your players find the game less challenging when they were fairly invulnrable to most attacks?

Adam MacBryde here...

To be honest, being invulnerable didn't seem to make much of a difference at all. I think that it was the result of a few different things. It was of no help at all in the social situations, aside from establishing us as "special". It was a huge help in the duel though we didn't know that going in.

But once we moved on to what I like to call "the hell of riding a Turago", I was too busy trying to avoid crashing to remember that I was invulnerable... not that it would have helped me one bit from a fall at that altitude. It was all that I could do to keep up with Roy and the NPCs in the air. I went through all but one of my Heroic Action Points just keeping myself from slamming into a cliff face and falling to my death.

In the final battle, we were able to ignore most of the rank and file troopers; however, we still had to stay smart and move with our troops for fear of being overwhelmed by sheer numbers. In addition, the enemy elite troops were also a real threat due to being armed with either nets or mauls.

The two times the invulnerability came in handy was when we were attacked by enemy Turago riders. Since they were using nothing but knives and arm bows, the relatively small attacks were not able to do Body damage to us. This bought us the time to remove a few of their number from the fight before they realized their weapons weren’t effective against us… and changed tactics. There’s nothing worse than a competent NPC who thinks on his feet.

So while the invulnerability did change the way some battles were fought, it didn’t really make us “safe” so much as it bought us a few phases as our foes had to adapt their tactics. To be honest, this was the toughest game by far for me as Adam was utterly unsuited to most everything that we had to do.

Brad (Adam MacBryde)

one common job on Barsoom was installers of indoor plumbing... Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote about the most famous of them... the mercenary who in later years would found the most famous plumbing firm on the whole planet

The John Carters of Mars...

course they almost lost their heads the time they were working on the royal palace... the first time in the universe somebody was prosecuted for a case of Deja View

one common job on Barsoom was installers of indoor plumbing... Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote about the most famous of them... the mercenary who in later years would found the most famous plumbing firm on the whole planet

course they almost lost their heads the time they were working on the royal palace... the first time in the universe somebody was prosecuted for a case of Deja View

Inspiration and most of the above insanity was taken from a filksong called "Unreality Warp" by Cliff Flynt

Absolutely horrible!

Repped :thumbup: -- even if it is mostly quoted. ;)