WWYCD - a deal with the devil

Robyn

Re: WWYCD - a deal with the devil

Whisper would laugh (okay, wheeze) in the Devil's face. Here's the deal. Whisper is a dark entity that feeds on the life force of others. The reason that he is a superhero (sort of) is that he was being bound by a dark sorceror when a little girl stumbled into the basement where the ritual was being performed. He is now bound to her, and because she is a true innocent soul, the magics are even more poweful, leaving him unable to act against her as well as being bound to her will. Basically, Whisper is the guardian of the very girl that the Prince of Lies is trying to have killed. Presumably the very effect that shields her from Lucifer's vision is also hiding Whisper's role.:lol:

Without a clear definition of 'evil'?

PA would ask him how the skiiing is, then leave. No fights, no snide comebacks beyond what he'd already said.

Then he'd spend a lot of time hunting down anyone who'd try to say yes. Anyone who'd try to hurt/kill a child is below human, to him.

Then he'd spend a lot of time hunting down anyone who'd try to say yes. Anyone who'd try to hurt/kill a child is below human' date=' to him.[/quote']

Whisper through and through. Literally a shadow of what may have once been human.

The devil would make a concession of granting you the power to instantly travel to any location a human existed. Not even a stretch of the initial offer, which was to let you watch over humanity and ensure that they weren't evil.

It dosen't change the fact that based on current theories, the exsistance of mankind is limited, eventually if a large object dosen't wipe everyone out before space travel, then the sun will go out. Even if we avoid that it seems the Universe will end in one of several possible ways.

For that matter humanity might evolve to ways where I just could not relate to them.

So either way I am takeing a risk of trillions of years in hell for at most, say 10 to 20 billion years of life, and forgoing a chance at heaven which thanks to Mr Evil I now know is possible. I would assume not helping Mr Evil take out the G man should earn me my 72 virgins ;)

Also assumeing he speaks the truth, it also wouldn't be an act of charity for everyone else either. Sure you get rid of evil on earth, but then you also deprive everyone of a decent afterlife. I would rather live 80 years in a cesspit [or Cornwall, same diff] and have a forever of happy happy joy joy, then 80 years of pleasent followed by a forever of the gah with the pain and hte men with pitchforks moiven flaven.

Only one character I have would answer him... and she's completely Amoral, already immortal and a collector of souls...

Sarah - "Good, Evil. These are concepts you use to justify your actions. To remove even one of these concepts, as silly as they are, would be unadvisable. Considering that humnity is what they are only through the ideas of commiting one or the other justifications. In the end, you would find yourself worse off than when you started. Besides, if I'm going to kill little girls I'll do it for my reasons, not yours. Now disappear yourself."

Champion Wind would just stare at him for several seconds. "You've got to be joking. I was chosen and empowered to fight the forces of Darkness, you honestly think I'm going to cut a deal with the Prince of Darkness?"

Ika predates most of the concepts involved in the deal. She literally wouldn't understand the offer.

Phoenix happens to know a couple of mystical types. She'd go talk to them, *then* tell him to get lost.

Faye would figure he's just a particularly loopy super. She doesn't believe in the Devil taking flesh and walking the world, so her reply would be essentially the same as Londo's initial reaction to Mr. Morden: "You are a lunatic, go away."

Guest WhammeWhamme

"Hang on a second... you're _losing_ in the long run, and you expect a HERO to help you change things?"

:rofl:

Void: "Hmm. So you're the incarnation of all evil? Including the ******* who killed my family? And you want me to hunt down and kill an innocnet girl? Congrats, buddy, you just gave me one person to receive the gunpowder enema I've been saving for those jokers, and a real good reason to give it to you in particular."

Darkchild: "Mhm. Allow me to introduce you to a friend of mine, I think you know him! His name's Michael...."

Huntress: "Let me think about that for a moment." *charge up her Big Guns* "Okay, I've thought about it. Say high to your cousin in Jersey when you land." *fire*

Queen of Spades is more of a realist, like her player.

On one hand, it's refreshing for the grand-daddy of Murder, Lies, and Mayhem to present himself for a likely backhanded pimp slap across the face with some cranked-up taser knuckles. But, on the other hand, it'd be nice not to have to continually deal with the darker aspects of humanity. (Lust is nice, but too much leads to BSM and furries. :ugly: )

With that in mind... she'd renegotiate. If she has the capabilities to quietly and painlessly do the dirty job, then the Evil must only remove the greater aspects of evil, for as long as she was around... The fact that he out-right inferred to the removal of Free Will--the darker aspects exist to have Humanity rise above the morass, not unlike Nitzechean philosophy--is enough to make her suspicious. But she understands that, with verification, Good will triumph and make those darker aspects pointless.

Then she adds a clause that, once she feels it's time for a pernament move, she gets job security down there. No sense writhing in torment when you've essentially rebalanced the cosmic scales. (Oh, and a further clause regarding the innocent's soul to be reborn, thus replacing hers in the mortal world.)

Just thought--one of my characters, Schaister, would find this an opportunity perhaps too good to pass off, a chance to fiond a way to con our out-loophole the Prince of Lies.

Well, he's not that overconfident. Greedy, perhaps, but not stupid.

With that in mind... she'd renegotiate. If she has the capabilities to quietly and painlessly do the dirty job' date=' then the Evil must [i']only[/i] remove the greater aspects of evil,

That would be a dealbreaker. He knows what will happen if he accepts a mere reduction in power; his confidence stems from the belief that any character who sees Good about to win will recognize it as being just as bad as Evil's ultimate victory, and revoke the deal after a generation or two have grown up in complete innocence (thus granting him another Garden of Eden to play in, only this time with a lot more experience).

Then she adds a clause that' date=' once she feels it's time for a pernament move, she gets job security down there. No sense writhing in torment when you've essentially rebalanced the cosmic scales.[/quote']

So long as she follows orders, sure :eg:

(Oh' date=' and a further clause regarding the innocent's soul to be reborn, thus replacing hers in the mortal world.)[/quote']

More than just a dealbreaker, this; divine law states that he can't do something for nothing. He is bound by his nature, and must act in accordance with that. His only "wiggle room" is for making deals; if he's going to gain something, he gains the freedom to do whatever is necessary (and within his power) for that goal. It's just that, in most cases, he doesn't want to.

You don't think that the very Incarnation of Evil, in such a desperate situation, wouldn't simply withdraw his presence himself if he could? He couldn't create innocents "on demand" that way, but he could prevent them from being corrupted, by withdrawing his influence from anyone to get near those precious innocents. Humans have Free Will, and once provided with the seed of Evil they can nurture it, letting it grow (which, after all, is one of His tricks; Temptation, so every victim does the work themselves, to corrupt their own self). He needs to do this by the ancient laws, as a bargain, a contract, a "deal with the devil", and time is running out. He needs someone who is capable of finding the last innocent on Earth, before she becomes no longer so.

Oh, yes, and I have to spread around some Rep before I give it to you again, but just so it's duly noted, Repped for discussing clauses with him enough to learn more about the situation, even if this was through actually thinking of taking him up on it instead of a desire to find out what was going on ;)

Well, it's more out of a desire to keep some sort of balance; I figure that the mass of superheros that aren't aware of the deal is more than enough to outweigh the consenquences of her action anyways. :D

Besides, she'd make sure that no one gets too complaicent while she's up there for the duration of the clause. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing, even if it's the lesser evil.

(Oh, and while we're on it... She's gonna be blinkin' sure she becomes the "career counselor" for demons. :D )

Besides' date=' she'd make sure that no one gets [i']too[/i] complaicent while she's up there for the duration of the clause. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing, even if it's the lesser evil.

He would be willing to include a clause whereby her evil would be permitted to remain ;)

(Oh' date=' and while we're on it... She's gonna be blinkin' sure she becomes the "career counselor" for demons. :D )[/quote']

:blink: I just caught your edit between viewing the thread and electing to reply to it . . . well, think of it as the celestial bureaucracy. Either a desk job or the one who has to train lesser demons in how to inflict torture upon their victims.

Either kind of job is fine, as long as there's good pay and vacation benifits at the Casa del Lago del Inferno. :D

And I'm aware of the clause there; but it isn't my evil in the first place--just the means to keep things from going out of hand.

And I'm aware of the clause there; but it isn't my evil in the first place--just the means to keep things from going out of hand.

If you mean the training job, his orders would be to improve them by any means necessary; if they didn't improve, you wouldn't be following orders :)

Killing a few to keep the rest in line, now . . . that would be par for the course, in Hell ;)

If you mean the "withdrawal of influence doesn't include me" part, he would agree to it knowing there was always the chance that such power could corrupt you (and, a supervillain in a world full of innocents, none of whom could be even slightly evil to fight back?).

Well... consider this--I never said that only "certain" evil won't exist, per se, just the extreme kinds, like wholesale genocide, outright greed, the kind of crazy-go-nuts evil that you'll be glad you'd never experience. (Or have yet, it's in perspective.) Superheros will still be around to stop supervillans, but there won't be a Dr. Destroyer-type playing havoc overall. There is still the representive Seven Deadly Sins, there still is pain, hunger, and poverty, but most importantly... there still is free will.

It's all about arranging the wording so that the Balance exists; Evil must exist for Good to exist--the extreme forms must also co-inhabit.

The fact that the Incarnation of Good is going to actually win Ragnorok, is disturbing enough to those who don't blindly apply themselves to faith.

Special Agent Trent:

Not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure it's a crime to even offer that deal.

More importantly, the Devil never plays fair. Ever. The entire basis for the "deal" is always a lie, predicated upon false assumptions. It doesn't matter how much assurance he offers, or how many beings he has vouching for him. Either they're being spoofed, they're his minions, or there's some loophole or subtle distinction that you're missing.

No deal with the devil. Ever.

Nadia: She pulls herself up to face him the best her 5' and 15 presence can. "You know as well as I do that good cannot exist without evil. An act, no mater how kind, how heroic, is meaningless without an option. You can no more leave this earth than you can take my soul, by birth you already have it." She steps back. "Besides, I cannot worship anyone but God. Is this the best mountian top you could take me to?" she crosses her arms arms and begin to wish she had a cell phone so she could get a ride back to school, but then agian, was this in the service area? Imortal beings, they can be so inconsiderate of people with Algebra test in the morning.

Saviel (War Angel) - "Wasn't the last beating enough for you?"

T'Shenk Kennet - "Why are you even here? We both know that good and evil originate inside people, not from you or any other 'power'. Without evil in the hearts of men, you're nothing. What are you playing at? And what makes you think I want to go to hell, when I just found a way to stay out?"

Omega Girl - "You have five seconds to disappear before we find out if a conceptual entity is bound to quantum reality when manifested within four dimensional space."