Power idea - flashing sword

SirWilliam

This idea came to me as a "trick" that a highly skilled swordsman or duelist might know.

The SFX is the swordsman reflects light from his sword into the eyes of his opponent blinding him, and gaining a momentary advantage.

Sword flash -

1d6 Flash 5 points active

Limitations:

OAF - highly polished sword -1

RSR -1/4 (Pick appropriate skill, IMO PS: Swordmaster) (If not a background skill up limitation to -1/2)

Limited: Only in bright sunlight or with similar light source. Not on overcast days, dawn, or twilight. -1

No Range -1/2

Total cost: 1 point

Now with only 1d6 you're not going to flash anyone for more than 2 segments, so this would be best used by holding your action until just before your next action, then flash your opponent, then immediately attack. At the very minimum you're going to get a -1 to their DCV, at best they'll be at 1/2 DCV.

If anyone sees any reason this wouldn't work, please let me know.

Re: Power idea - flashing sword

I'd give it at least two dice' date=' must have a light source is a -1/2 lim, and your RSR can be Swordmaster without any difficulty. This looks fine. You may also want to replace RSR with a straight Activation Roll.[/quote']

I went with the -1 for the light source after looking in the book under limitations. For this to work it can't be just any light source, it has to be a bright light source. I'm thinking summer day between 10:30 and 2:00 kind of bright. Or like driving on the highway on a summer day and you're getting glare off of other cars. Anything less might annoy someone, but it's certainly not going to incapacitate them.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is real similar to what I came up with as a maneuver for the swordmasters in my FH campaign. It works.

I agree with Thia that the flash should be at least 2d6... back when Flash still worked by Phases, the 1d6 approach worked fine.

I agree with SirWilliam that the lightsource limit works well at -1. It's essentially a variation on the Limited form of No Concious Control, as there are a lot of circumstances that can prevent it from working, not all dependant of just the light source.

Its a good little "dirty trick" Talent

As I understand it, this was specifically taught as an advanced part of Kendo, the Japanese fencing art.

In Ultimate Martial Artist, you can buy a manuever that does "Flash" damage.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to see quadreped martial arts.....

I'd suggest no RSR limitiation. You've already got to make an attack roll to see if the flash hits so requiring two rolls is a bit annoying.

I agree with this 100%.

To much die rolling will bog down the game.

Yes, but in terms of HERO, cost is king. If you can knock down a power with a whopping 20 Active (or even 10 active) and have what's almost a guaranteed autmatic roll made, then you would reasonably take it. You can push that down til it won't cost more than 2 or 3 CP as a Flash.

2 Cloud Uncovers the Sun: Flash 2d6 (Sight Group); OAF Sword (-1), Bright Light Available (-1), Requires a Skill Roll (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

Like so.

I'd suggest no RSR limitiation. You've already got to make an attack roll to see if the flash hits so requiring two rolls is a bit annoying.

Well annoying or not it's there because it makes sense. Not even Miyamoto Musashi would be able to reflect light into his opponents eyes any time he wanted to. So the roll (for my use) stays to reflect having to maneuver things just "so" such that everything comes together to blind his oppponent.

As far as the 1d6 vs 2d6, well with normal damage a single d6 gives between 0 and 2 body, so potentially an opponent could be flashed for 2 segments which is the in-game equivalent of 2 seconds. I think that's plenty. Using it will require me to hold an action until right before my next action (phase 9 held until 12 is good as it doesn't allow a lower-speed opponent an action before I go again) but again, in my mind that emulates the skill of the swordmaster dictating the fight on his terms.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I'll get to use this.

Seriously, I wanna make a sword swinger JUST so I can incorporate this power. Because this is one of those nice, little details that really just brings a character to LIFE.

Huh. It would actually be my first sword character.

Well, looks like I will have to incorporate it into an NPC boss and use it against my PCs then... hehe.

Seriously, I wanna make a sword swinger JUST so I can incorporate this power. Because this is one of those nice, little details that really just brings a character to LIFE.

Huh. It would actually be my first sword character.

Well, looks like I will have to incorporate it into an NPC boss and use it against my PCs then... hehe.

I'm glad you like it. Now I'm glad I posted it.

Who has Ninja Hero? ;)

Anyhoo, the whole idea of "Not even Miyamoto Musashi would be able to reflect light into his opponents eyes any time he wanted to. So the roll (for my use) stays to reflect having to maneuver things just "so" such that everything comes together to blind his oppponent." is taken care of by the attack roll IMO. To require a skill roll on something like "PS: Swordsman" seems odd to me. If you paid points to have the flash technique, you already know it right?

Also, using the argument of "it makes the power cheaper", doesn't justify a limitation. Even a 1d6 sight flash can be quite nasty in the right situation so it should cost a few points. Then again, that's up to the GM and the campaign setting certainly matters.

Who has Ninja Hero? ;)

Anyhoo, the whole idea of "Not even Miyamoto Musashi would be able to reflect light into his opponents eyes any time he wanted to. So the roll (for my use) stays to reflect having to maneuver things just "so" such that everything comes together to blind his oppponent." is taken care of by the attack roll IMO. To require a skill roll on something like "PS: Swordsman" seems odd to me. If you paid points to have the flash technique, you already know it right?

Knowing how to do something and being able to do it successfully every time you want to do it are two entirely different things. For an example, an Olympic grade gymnast, figure skater, skier, etc are widely acknowledged to be experts in their sport. Yet every competition you'll see at least one athlete have a severe error in their performance. Is it that they didn't know what they were doing? No, they have probably done that move a thousand times, but something wasn't right "this time" and they didn't do it successfully. As far as why I picked the PS instead of something else, well the answer to that lies in this thread, which inspired me to write up this power.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43940

Also, using the argument of "it makes the power cheaper", doesn't justify a limitation. Even a 1d6 sight flash can be quite nasty in the right situation so it should cost a few points. Then again, that's up to the GM and the campaign setting certainly matters.

Actually the cost at this point is so low that a single -1/4 limitation is the difference between 1.333, and 1.42 points, which means it's effectively not lowering the price. If you don't like it, then by all means don't use it. I don't know if I'll get permission to use it either, but at least a couple people like the idea, so I'll count this thread worth creating. As far as justification goes the only justification I need is "I like it". :D

We have been using this power construction for many years. I agree the RSR is essentially unnecessary: the situation limitation and attack roll take care of it: as a GM I would not normally allow it

Other possibilities using similar ideas are a flash simply defined as an eyegouge, or flicking dust, sand or water at your opponent's eyes with your blade, using a cloth such as a cape to cover your opponent's face, or (my particular favourite) cutting your opponent's forhead to make blood run into his eyes. That one was defined as a 1d6 flash with a short time delay, so you cut and then waited for your moment when your opponent was blind...

cheers, Mark