Armor Spell Question

Super Squirrel

What is the best way to build a spell that provides protection to another target? I'm looking for an hour of at least 6 PDr / 6 EDr. I've looked at several possibilities such as a 1d6 AID PD & RD with linked Damaged Resistance, UBO Ranged. I just haven't found the best way yet.

Now the good news (or bad depending on your outlook)... the power needs to be at least 60 Active Points. It is going in a Elemental Control with a 30 point pool.

Thanks. :)

Re: Armor Spell Question

Personaly, and it might be my deapseated hatred of all things Aid

I would build it using either the FF or Armor Powers, UBO, Uncontrolled, 0 end, ranged (IIRC corectly there is some FAQ ruling where you need to apply 0 end twice to this kind of build, but I house ruled that away, so you may need to double check) Maybe some hardend, limit as appropriate (My world requires rings for spells like this

To get it to 60 points a few things I would do is make it a compound power giving some forms of LS (Protection from heat, cold, etc...) also remember you will need to apply the same advantages plus probably the extend range advantage

Now the good news (or bad depending on your outlook)... the power needs to be at least 60 Active Points. It is going in a Elemental Control with a 30 point pool.

Before you go looking for a way to increase the AP to 60 (by the way, I don't think you can do Linked powers without giving the other power(s) in the combo their own EC slot), read this:

I actually allow powers inside an Elemental Control that are not of the minimum Active Point values. The EC just can't more than double the Active Points in the power. Why this wasn't the way the rules were built to begin with is beyond me. With this modification, it really doesn't become necessary to split or merge ECs at all unless it makes sense for the concept/SFX of the powers. That's as it should be IMO. :king:

Personaly, and it might be my deapseated hatred of all things Aid

I would build it using either the FF or Armor Powers, UBO, Uncontrolled, 0 end, ranged (IIRC corectly there is some FAQ ruling where you need to apply 0 end twice to this kind of build, but I house ruled that away, so you may need to double check) Maybe some hardend, limit as appropriate (My world requires rings for spells like this

To get it to 60 points a few things I would do is make it a compound power giving some forms of LS (Protection from heat, cold, etc...) also remember you will need to apply the same advantages plus probably the extend range advantage

I'm using an Elemental Control, I can't use a 0 END power. I was ore looking for the best build for providing a target 6/6 extra resistant protection for an hour. I had been doing a Aid with a delayed fade rate but I don't think this is the most effective.

Before you go looking for a way to increase the AP to 60 (by the way' date=' I don't think you can do Linked powers without giving the other power(s) in the combo their own EC slot), read this:

Actually you have it backwards. On pg. 314 of the Revised it states that Linked powers cannot be seperate. They have to be in the same power if they are linked without GM approval. I HAD been doing a triple compound power and realized that my power was built wrong.

The power itself looks liked this now:

Aid (limitations and advantages) plus Damage Resistance (limits and advs) plus Major Transform.

But the Major Transform should be a side effect because it isn't a good thing. So now I need to hit sixty points and as I'm changing it already, I might as well build it correctly.

I'm using an Elemental Control' date=' I can't use a 0 END power. I was ore looking for the best build for providing a target 6/6 extra resistant protection for an hour. I had been doing a Aid with a delayed fade rate but I don't think this is the most effective.[/quote']

... you can't use a power that Costs No End, but you can use a power bought to 0 End (via Reduced Endurance) in an EC, unless I'm *really* misreading the rules.

... you can't use a power that Costs No End' date=' but you can use a power bought to 0 End (via Reduced Endurance) in an EC, unless I'm *really* misreading the rules.[/quote']

No you have it correct. There is even an FAQ where someone wanted to do regeneration in an EC and Steve said yes it was legal. (I think he then provided one of those your GM could veto it comments). I will look for it.

Found it.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5586&highlight=regeneration

I knew it was a while ago (2003). But no GM veto sugestion.

Buy a FF with LOTS of advantages, like this one

Mystic Protection: FF (6 PD/6 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Lasts for 1 Hour; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Usable Simultaneously (up to 32 people at once; +1 1/2) (60 Active Points)

One thing I've never been clear on is this. So, you buy "Uncontrolled" and "Cost END Only To Activate". In this case, the power should last forever right? So, as a GM, you put a reasonable time limit on it so your players aren't all running around with awesome force fields. How do you go about determining the length of time though?

I've messed around with lingering from the FH book but I don't quite like it. Uncontrolled sounds like the way to go but the duration seems arbitrary.

One thing I've never been clear on is this. So, you buy "Uncontrolled" and "Cost END Only To Activate". In this case, the power should last forever right? So, as a GM, you put a reasonable time limit on it so your players aren't all running around with awesome force fields. How do you go about determining the length of time though?

I've messed around with lingering from the FH book but I don't quite like it. Uncontrolled sounds like the way to go but the duration seems arbitrary.

I already know the spell only lasts an hour. :) I'll have that limit on there if it is Uncontrolled.

The Spell:

Blessing of the Defender: Force Field (6 PD/6 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (60 Active Points); Priest Spell Limitations (-2 1/4), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; -1/2), Limited Power Spell Ends after 1 Hour (-1/4)

The Spell:

Blessing of the Defender: Force Field (6 PD/6 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (60 Active Points); Priest Spell Limitations (-2 1/4), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; -1/2), Limited Power Spell Ends after 1 Hour (-1/4)

Looks good overall, However the last limit (1 hour) is inappropriate, but rather should be considered part of the Uncontrolled advantage (Essentialy when it does not cost end to maintain you set a time limit)

Also I would personaly consider droping to x4 simultanius and add some Hardened, or reduce to 5/5 and add hardened

Actually you have it backwards. On pg. 314 of the Revised it states that Linked powers cannot be seperate. They have to be in the same power if they are linked without GM approval. I HAD been doing a triple compound power and realized that my power was built wrong.

So . . . if I place several Life Support powers (3 points apiece) in an Elemental Control, my EC can only be 1 point; but if I tie them all together and bundle them into one pretty package with Link (60 points), I can use a 30-point Elemental Control?

So . . . if I place several Life Support powers (3 points apiece) in an Elemental Control' date=' my EC can only be 1 point; but if I tie them all together and bundle them into one pretty package with Link (60 points), I can use a 30-point Elemental Control?[/quote']

I don't think Life Support is your best choice as an example but assuming that they all cost END, you are correct.

Looks good overall, However the last limit (1 hour) is inappropriate, but rather should be considered part of the Uncontrolled advantage (Essentialy when it does not cost end to maintain you set a time limit)

Also I would personaly consider droping to x4 simultanius and add some Hardened, or reduce to 5/5 and add hardened

Thanks for pointing out the Uncontrolled thing. I fixed the power and made some slight changes.

Blessing of the Defender: Force Field (8 PD/6 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Uncontrolled (Lasts Up to One Hour) (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (60 Active Points); Priest Spell Limitations (-2 1/4), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/4)

I opted not to give the spell hardening. Armor Piercing and Penetrating are simply not that common for it to be worth it. I did, however, lower the Simultaneously to 4 and add on 2 PD.

I don't think Life Support is your best choice as an example but assuming that they all cost END' date=' you are correct.[/quote']

Yeah, I missed the Special Power part of Life Support and the corresponding restriction on EC's :stupid: I wish I could find Kaja's character sheet to see how his powers were done (this would also give me an agent template for his organization).